Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 610111213141516

Thread: The Zharmae Publishing Press

Romance with Kick-Assitude! Cassie Knight's Avatar
    As an editor who has worked for a number of digital presses, royalty only payment, while common, is not good if the goal is to earn money.

I've worked for a few places that paid a flat rate of $200 per book and others who have a set fee per book but will pay part in cash upon completion of editing and the other part at release and those who pay part in cash at completion of editing and the rest in royalties up to a certain amount and those who pay only in royalties. I know I'm preaching to the choir here when I say that for all the hours spent on those books (and I NEVER sacrifice my quality standards), I made pennies. When I did that job, I was new but it didn't take me long to realize my effort, time and talent are worth more. The other payment plans aren't great but the presses aren't New York either as far as money, and I'm okay with that. It's at least something until I decide if I want to do this full time (I have a fabulous day job) and make the leap to New York or big commercial presses.

Over the years, I've worked with editors who most definitely do not work as hard for royalties than they would if paid a flat fee or even partial. Or if they start out strong, when they start seeing what is actually coming in, they either leave if they are good or stay. He thinks he's going to make $15,000 per book? Did I really read that? In the past six years in all the houses I've worked with, only a handful have come close and over. Guess how much the editor saw? $150.00 ($75 up front and up to $75 in royalties).

I'm sure editors will respond. Likely they will be inexperienced/new, use that editing experience to get some work under their belts then go off and offer services as freelance editor (I know several who did just that) or move on to bigger, better paying houses.

It's a risk publishers who only pay royalties have to take. That business plan usually results in high turnover with editors or the editors who stay may be serviceable but not ones who have high quality standards. Now, before someone beats me up , I fully recognize, as I know a number of these types of editors as well, there are reasons for staying such as they love what they are doing and don't need to worry about the money and are happy with what they get. They can be strong editors and perfectly content. I know some of them too.

However, for someone like me, who wells knows their value, I'll never take another position for royalties only. My work and time means much more to me than that.

An Old Hack, if an editor is not renewed or quits, in most of the presses they get nada. No more money. I've only heard of one press, and the name escapes me, that continues to pay editors royalties when they no longer work for the house. Most quite clearly state in agreement no more payments if editor quits or contract not renewed.

I wish Travis luck in finding (and keeping) good editors.
    Cassiel Knight
    Paranormal Romance with Kick-Assitude!
    www.CassielKnight.com

Hi Cassie,

Our Editors do get paid indefinitely, so long as the work remains in publication. We have several individuals who no longer maintain an active contract who may attest to that fact. Their payments bi-annually, have been fairly stable. We also retain the option to hire them back, and for several, we do use them for overflow work is needed.

There is a turnover clause in their contract in case they resign during the middle of the contract. The contracts are for the most part renewed. Most who turnover, do so in the first 90 days of coming onto contract.

I will be the first to say that it would be cheaper in several respects to hire them onto a salary, I am working to rectify that, but to say the least, I am comfortable, and I am able to absorb losses, but they are not deep enough, yet, to bring editors onto salary.

Please let me know if there are other questions that you all would like answered. I saw the number crunching a page back...very interesting numbers.
    Travis R. Grundy
    Publisher
    The Zharmae Publishing Press, L.L.C.
    www.zharmae.com

Two cups sugar with a dash of crazy oceansoul's Avatar
    I think that even a flat-fee per book would probably work out more in the editors' immediate favour than ongoing royality payments. In order to live and work, and consider editing a job, people need to have some conception of what they'll actually be making and when. I think even if you said, 'We pay $200 for a full manuscript edit." (That's a very low fee, btw) I think that's much more fair and transparent to editors.

Julia Ember
    http://www.julia-ember.com
    @jules_chronicle

Unicorn Tracks (Harmony Ink Press, 2016)
    YA F/F Romantic Fantasy
    Add to Goodreads!

The Tiger's Watch (Work-In-Progress)
    YA Fantasy

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    It is also IMHO more fair, as how well a book sells has fairly little to do with who edited it. So two editors performing at the same level with get very disparate pay rates.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 610111213141516