Read books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 31822232425262728

Thread: The Zharmae Publishing Press

Joan Robinson: "The purpose of studying economics is... to avoid being deceived by economists."

I just thought this quote seemed relevant. As an economics student.
    i'm heading into the sky
    they're just waiting for me to fly
    take my hand come along with me
    they'll follow you... just wait and see

crazy mean SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    I keep coming back to this from HapiSofi:

Quote Originally Posted by HapiSofi View Post
    Zharmae's been in business for years. During that time, Travis Grundy hasn't bothered to acquaint himself with basic book layout. He hasn't figured out what distributors do (they're extremely important), or how per-unit costs vary in relation to the size of the print run, or how many copies his competitors sell of what kind of books.

At this point, it doesn't matter what he promises, or what he intends/intended, or whether he's a good person, or what hazily speculative ideas he thinks it might be interesting to try in the future. None of those things matter. What does matter is that he's had years to learn how to be a publisher, and he hasn't learned a blessed thing.

It's bad enough that he started ignorant, given that he's gambling with other people's books. If he's stayed ignorant, there's no hope.

No one should entrust their writing to Zharmae. If they've already done so, they should get it back. My advice is to start working on that now.
    My bold.

I feel for the person I know who is one of Zharmae's editors. I hope to hell this person is getting paid...but I warned them years ago, so I won't step in again.

M/M/M contemporary erotic romance novella out now from NineStar Press!

Blog: Blue Night(blog back up, mwhahaha!)
    My art on Handmade at Amazon
    Original serial fantasy on Wattpad
    My collected Filigree's Rule posts for would-be writers (learn from my mistakes!)

practical experience, FTW zmethos's Avatar
    FWIW, I received an offer from Zharmae on one of my books but ended up declining. The editor was lovely, but when I tried to negotiate some of the terms of the contract I was basically told "take it or leave it" so . . . I left it. (Sorry that I don't remember exactly what I was attempting to negotiate; this happened over a year ago now.) Seems like I dodged a bullet.

A Gentleman of a refined age... thothguard51's Avatar
    So in the months and months I have been gone, Travis is still ignoring prudent advice. Five years I have followed this thread and you would think the guy would have learned something. Not...
    Knowledge is learned while wisdom is earned.

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
    Book 1, A Game of Pawns
    Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
    Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
    Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
    Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I first looked at this thread when it was only two pages long; I'm astounded it's still going. At the time, I was in the process of selling a story to them for an anthology. We went through several rounds of contract negotiation, but Zharmae did make substantial changes, and I did eventually sign. A year later, no sign of publication or payment, I canceled the contract. From the look of this thread, things haven't gotten much better.

Hey guys!

I'm actually a new author with Zhamae. I've been working with them for a year, and my debut novel comes out next July. I saw this thread, and figured I'd reply.

I won't try to defend Zharmae, or apologize for them. However, here and there throughout the next year on this site, I'll mention my progress and announce when my novel will be released, and I'll let the end product speak for itself. This is definitely a great thing about the internet. Shared content allows for informed decisions, and companies get a firsthand look at what the public thinks of their products and their reputation. You can't bottle up the flow of information, but you can take the criticisms/critiques leveled at you and make the end result so much better than it was.

Anywho, as a new guy on this site, I don't want to get drawn into some sort of flame war, so here in this thread this will be my only comment, as tensions here are a bit high. Cheers all, and as always, best of luck on your writing!

Quote Originally Posted by Denevius View Post
    Hey guys!

I'm actually a new author with Zhamae. I've been working with them for a year, and my debut novel comes out next July. I saw this thread, and figured I'd reply.

I won't try to defend Zharmae, or apologize for them. However, here and there throughout the next year on this site, I'll mention my progress and announce when my novel will be released, and I'll let the end product speak for itself. This is definitely a great thing about the internet. Shared content allows for informed decisions, and companies get a firsthand look at what the public thinks of their products and their reputation. You can't bottle up the flow of information, but you can take the criticisms/critiques leveled at you and make the end result so much better than it was.

Anywho, as a new guy on this site, I don't want to get drawn into some sort of flame war, so here in this thread this will be my only comment, as tensions here are a bit high. Cheers all, and as always, best of luck on your writing!
    Thank you for your openness, Denevius. Good luck with your book.
    Colonial commoner

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    Good luck, Denevius. I'll be interested to hear how your book's sales are after it's been released for a few months.

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Best of luck, Denevius. We're all rooting for you.

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 31822232425262728