The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Spore Press LLC / Safe House Press / Argenta Books

practical experience, FTW

Spore Press LLC / Safe House Press / Argenta Books

Has a call for submissions in the Paying Markets forum. Thought I start a tread over here to see if anyone knows anything about them.

http://sporepress.com/

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Rarely a good sign when the only book is by a founder.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Also not a good sign, they're putting the burden of promotion on the author. From the website:

Our first priority is to offer quality books to our readers, which we think will sell and be adequately promoted by the author. We do require that our authors participate actively in self-promotion
    "An honest answer is like a warm hug." - Proverbs 24:26 (The Message)

My short story collection, "The Poisoned City", is now available!

In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
    They have misspelled (on their website) one of the books they are actively promoting, 'All the Hippies Are Dead.' Though spelled correctly on the book (thank goodness!), the promotional blurb on the site spells it: 'All the Hippes Are Dead.'

At first glance I thought they meant Hippos and I was suddenly very, very sad...

But I find it amazing that no one has picked up on the error - no editor, assistant editor, the writer him/herself or anyone else.

I'm still thinking of the dead hippos ...
    Latest story in December 2013 issue of EQMM.

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Staff bios don't turn up much (if any) professional publishing or writing experience.

- Victoria

Three weeks after I submitted my manuscript for my biotechnical thriller, “The True Virus”, I received an email from Spore Press showing an interest in my novel.
    Since I noticed that it’s been over a year since this thread started, I thought I’d add my two bits. Their web site shows that they’ve recently released a few new novels by authors other than the founder. I might add that during an interview with Keith Henning, he stated that his novel, “All the Hippies Are Dead”, was used as a test to see how everything works with the new publishing industry of today.
    I’ll keep everyone posted on how things develop between me and Spore Press.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Last book published mid-'13. Mid '15, morphed into Tater Chat ("group chat made easy"), due to launch next month.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: