Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Novel Challenge Sign-Up Booth--it's never too late to join!

practical experience, FTW JoyMC's Avatar
    i'm in! and particularly interested in getting to know more people on AW.

i'm currently in the planning/researching/outlining stages for a new WIP. i was toying with doing NaNo, but i think the amount of research this WIP is going to need makes that not my best approach. also, i just got some agent feedback on a previous MS and am now working through a revision which will push things out on the new WIP a couple of weeks.

but i think - and are we supposed to firm this up down the line, or is this our official goal-making? - i think i'm going to shoot for 6 months to be query-ready on the new WIP. (it's middle grade, so probably around 40K.) and to break it down further, maybe first draft done by February 1, query-ready by May 1.

i'd love to make a goal of when i'll be agented, but i try to keep goals in the realm of things entirely within my control.
    BLOOD WATER PAINT, spring 2018, Dutton Young Readers

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFox View Post
    OK, so, just over a day before the novel challenge starts. Not sure how this is going to work.

I've finished 2 chapters this week, to bring my novel to 25,000 words. Which is precisely where I wanted it to be - with the 50,000 words of Nano, that is (almost) a complete first draft.

Not sure the novel is actually any good. As a rule, this is my "suck stage," and this novel is no different than normal.
    Push on, SF. Push on through the suck barrier!

Quote Originally Posted by JoyMC View Post
    i'm in! and particularly interested in getting to know more people on AW.

i'm currently in the planning/researching/outlining stages for a new WIP. i was toying with doing NaNo, but i think the amount of research this WIP is going to need makes that not my best approach. also, i just got some agent feedback on a previous MS and am now working through a revision which will push things out on the new WIP a couple of weeks.

but i think - and are we supposed to firm this up down the line, or is this our official goal-making? - i think i'm going to shoot for 6 months to be query-ready on the new WIP. (it's middle grade, so probably around 40K.) and to break it down further, maybe first draft done by February 1, query-ready by May 1.

i'd love to make a goal of when i'll be agented, but i try to keep goals in the realm of things entirely within my control.
    Welcome to the gang, JoyMC! Sounds like you've set yourself some good goals, too.

Almost Nov 1...

I've got to say that this is a great idea. I'm pumped to get going with this!

I got my outline done. And realized, I can totally turn this into a series. It's gonna be so much fun to write it might even just write itself!

And...have an animator friend who read the outline and is willing to turn it into a graphic novel after I'm done. YAY! More motivation to get this done!

Just wondering about the weekly updates thing? Are we going to have our own individual threads to update or are we just putting updates here to share our progress?
    hAunted (working title)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamH View Post
    I've got to say that this is a great idea. I'm pumped to get going with this!

I got my outline done. And realized, I can totally turn this into a series. It's gonna be so much fun to write it might even just write itself!

And...have an animator friend who read the outline and is willing to turn it into a graphic novel after I'm done. YAY! More motivation to get this done!
    Ha! Awesome!

Just wondering about the weekly updates thing? Are we going to have our own individual threads to update or are we just putting updates here to share our progress?
    Each month i (or if i can't, someone else) will start a thread where we can all check-in and relate our progress and hard or good times, etc. I'll post nudges in the thread periodically to get us updating, and hopefully will link to good articles/resources/etc.

Though, if you want to start an individual thread, then do so! Whatever works for you

Last day. Everyone has outlines finished?
    Ready for a new addiction? Read my book!

Quote Originally Posted by Button View Post
    Well...not quite a finished outline, but I do have a plan

November 1 is just hours away, and I'm looking forward to NaNo. BUT, I'm really looking forward to continued support from this Novel Challenge in the coming 12 months.

I'll also be posting about the challenge and NaNo over at my blog.

Anyone on Google+? I'm just getting started on it for NaNo. I'd be glad to create an AW Novel Challenge circle if there are any others in the challenge with an account.

Yeehaw, let the challenge begin!

The November Novel Challenge Hub is up and running. Rock it out, peeps!

I'm a sparkly fairy princess! bettielee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Button View Post
    aw yeah! And I think I have the first scene in my head - figured I better start thinking about how I'm gonna write it, oh, tomorrow. I'm glad it came so easy.

I have a new blog! Reading, Writing, Rithmancy
    current post:Review: The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

Current project: CAMP NANOWRIMO! Trying to finish a Gothic Romance (this is so old it's right again

Twitter
    And please add me on Goodreads!

Finished? Depends which outline draft you're talking about. And no research done. This could get interesting.
    Under the patronage of Murphy the Muse

When writing a novel that's pretty much entirely what life turns into: "House burned down. Car stolen. Cat exploded. Did 1500 easy words, so all in all it was a pretty good day."
    ~Neil Gaiman

Do you want a shiny badge so everybody knows you're doing the Novel Challenge? Of course you do. And, thanks to Lillie, you can! It's all steampunky and everything.

Go on, put it in your signature. Wear it loud and wear it proud!

Thanks, Lillie! You rock

I'm at work on the new novel and all of 1100 words in on day 3. Oy. Hopefully a weekend spent writing will get me back on track for NaNo!

Hope everyone's having happy writing days!
    Where you invest your love/You invest your life

practical experience, FTW sammyjwebb's Avatar
    land of geese and bulls in Northern Colorado
    Cool Badge Lillie!

There'll be gears and such eventually in my world!
    - Sam

Blog Twitter

Struggling to be the dream... missf410's Avatar

I'm In!

I'm writing 2 stories during nanowrimo. One is a contemporary romance and the second is a paranormal romance/ urban fantasy? I'm not sure what the difference is in those are. If someone can tell me I would appreciate it. Thanks!
    The Darkest Fae - 500

The Golden One (tentative title) planning stage

Dire shift- (1300 words) dreaming stage

Hi missf Sounds like you've given yourself a real big task for November.

A contemporary romance is your typical romance story, usually set sometime after World War II. More general info here.

A paranormal romance is a romance that involves fantastical and/or supernatural elements. More general info here.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Izz; 11-07-2011 at 11:11 AM.

figuring it all out

I may as well do this

I've already determined I'm going to write a novel. I'm already over 10k words into it, so thats a good start I think.

Quote Originally Posted by akbowens View Post
    I've already determined I'm going to write a novel. I'm already over 10k words into it, so thats a good start I think.
    Welcome along, ak! Our hang out thread for November is here.

practical experience, FTW Pemako's Avatar
    I'd like to join too, please, with the goal of having a novel ready to query at the beginning of November 2012. And a short story per month - I hope. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pemako View Post
    I'd like to join too, please, with the goal of having a novel ready to query at the beginning of November 2012. And a short story per month - I hope. Thanks!
    w00t! Welcome along, Pemako

*gentle nudge*

Remember, you can sign up for the challenge at any time, on your terms. Come one, come all!

practical experience, FTW Arcadia Divine's Avatar
    I think I'll sign up for this. So we can make our own deadline, right? I want to finish my novel and get the query ready in 6 months. I know it sounds like a lot, but I have just about the whole thing planned out and set in stone.
    Everything bound to life dies eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadia Divine View Post
    I think I'll sign up for this. So we can make our own deadline, right? I want to finish my novel and get the query ready in 6 months. I know it sounds like a lot, but I have just about the whole thing planned out and set in stone.
    Welcome along, Arcadia. Sounds like a good plan, too.

Our November hang out is here. There'll be a new one each month.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Is it too late to join in? I'd like to start this in January. Does that throw things off?

Quote Originally Posted by ktbarrow View Post
    Is it too late to join in? I'd like to start this in January. Does that throw things off?
    It's never too late to join in

Welcome to AW and the AW Novel Challenge, ktbarrow

You can start whenever you want, and participate for however long you want

Write on!

Banned
    This sounds fun. Am I able to sign up?

Quote Originally Posted by SummerSurf57 View Post
    This sounds fun. Am I able to sign up?
    Sure. Welcome to the Novel Challenge, Summer

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast