The Novel Challenge Sign-Up Booth--it's never too late to join!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'm working on a memoir, story-format. Memoirs are sold like novels. Can I join the fun?

I expect to complete it by November 1 next year. I'd need to allow some time for independent readers and final revisions based on same before querying. So, I could be ready to query by May 1, 2013, God willing.

Am I in?

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
So I've got this novel in planning stages and I reckon I could have it done in 18 months from the 1st November 2011. So I'll make 1st May 2013 my deadline.

Count me in =)
Awesome. :snoopy: Welcome along.

I think mine is going to end up being Write 1/Revise1/Submit 1. ;)
Sounds like a good plan! :hooray:

Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'm working on a memoir, story-format. Memoirs are sold like novels. Can I join the fun?

I expect to complete it by November 1 next year. I'd need to allow some time for independent readers and final revisions based on same before querying. So, I could be ready to query by May 1, God willing.

Am I in?

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
You sure are. :)

That brings us to 35...

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
Count me in. I'm also doing NaNoWriMo this year, first time :D

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
I'm thrilled to see this as I've missed you guys so much since I gave up W1S1 to focus more on my long fiction. Actually, I miss the short story writing in general. I think I do want to resume W1/S1, but maybe the 12 or 24 a year program instead of one a week (though I did love that momentum).

So yeah. My goal is going to be write/revise/submit 1 novel this year.

And W1/S1 monthly for the short fiction, too.

Looking forward to our November kickoff! I'm going to NaNo it up this year too to try and get off to a quick start.

And for this month, I'm hoping to finish (the first set of) revisions on my current novel project and outline for the new one so I'm not wandering aimless in November... :)

jchance3

Registered
Reaction score
I want to try the novel challenge: one written in the next six months, one submitted a year from now.

*fingers crossed*
I'm new, hope I'm doing this right...

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
Been out of the serious writing game for awhile now but desperately need an opening to pull me back in. This could just be the opportunity.

Time to dust off the ol' Creation Brain Machine, oil up the pen and do some finger Yoga stretches between now and November 1st.

What I'm trying to say is...I'm in!

12 months. One novel. One submission. Deadline will be November 1, 2012.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I'm thrilled to see this as I've missed you guys so much since I gave up W1S1 to focus more on my long fiction. Actually, I miss the short story writing in general. I think I do want to resume W1/S1, but maybe the 12 or 24 a year program instead of one a week (though I did love that momentum).

So yeah. My goal is going to be write/revise/submit 1 novel this year.

And W1/S1 monthly for the short fiction, too.

Looking forward to our November kickoff! I'm going to NaNo it up this year too to try and get off to a quick start.

And for this month, I'm hoping to finish (the first set of) revisions on my current novel project and outline for the new one so I'm not wandering aimless in November... :)
:hooray: We've missed you too, AJ! Welcome back :)

I want to try the novel challenge: one written in the next six months, one submitted a year from now.

*fingers crossed*
I'm new, hope I'm doing this right...
Awesome stuff, jchance3. :welcome: along. :)

Been out of the serious writing game for awhile now but desperately need an opening to pull me back in. This could just be the opportunity.

Time to dust off the ol' Creation Brain Machine, oil up the pen and do some finger Yoga stretches between now and November 1st.

What I'm trying to say is...I'm in!

12 months. One novel. One submission. Deadline will be November 1, 2012.
w00t! Nice to have you, Adam! :)

Now we have 40... :partyguy:

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished a 4k outline this morning for one of the books for this. ;) Four more to go.

Button, you're my hero right now...I need to do this with my upcoming NNWM project and at least two older novel projects.
The task just seemed so daunting--especially in the face of short story commitments and upcoming deadlines! :eek:

But you've inspired me to at least do something. :)

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I'm in. I like a good challenge!

Ideally, before November of next year, I'd like to have two novels submitted and another written and ready for submission.

I'm wrapping up writing one, plan to finish Part 2 of another for Nano. Those will need revised. I have a feeling the third may be the sequel for one of ones I plan to sub. Depends on if the editor who asked for it likes it enough to buy it.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I'm in. I like a good challenge!

Ideally, before November of next year, I'd like to have two novels submitted and another written and ready for submission.

I'm wrapping up writing one, plan to finish Part 2 of another for Nano. Those will need revised. I have a feeling the third may be the sequel for one of ones I plan to sub. Depends on if the editor who asked for it likes it enough to buy it.
:hooray: Sounds like some good goals, there.

I am in for doing it along with NANO
:partyguy: Good plan and welcome along!

That brings us to 43. Can we hit 50 before the end of the week?

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
Half a month left. ;) I hope we can find seven more.

By the way, what happens when we hit 50? Do we get a prize? Our own forum?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Half a month left. ;) I hope we can find seven more.

By the way, what happens when we hit 50? Do we get a prize? Our own forum?
We've already got our own forum :tongue

As for prizes... well, howabout a free copy of Comets and Criminals issue #1 for the first 50 participants? In either Kindle, Epub, or pdf format?

Once we hit 50, everyone who wants one PM me your email addresses and which format you'd like C&C in, and i'll send a copy your way.

ETA: Or, you can PM me your email addresses and format preferences now and i'll start sending out copies of the zine once we hit 50.

Last edited:

JenniferB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingcocoon.blogspot.com
Eek! I'm in.

I'm working on a rewrite of a 97k word novel, but I'm going to take a break in November to participate in NaNoWriMo. For the new NaNo novel, I've been sketching out ideas for characters, plot, etc. and I've even written a few scenes.

Here are my tentative goals - can we finalize the goals at the official start of the challenge?

Write 70k words on WIP2 for NaNo

Finish rewrite of WIP1 by March.

By end of Challenge - WIP1 is submission ready. WIP2 is at least a finished 2nd draft.

I'm nervous about this, but I think this challenge will help me finish my projects. I've been struggling to get to a final draft.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Eek! I'm in.

I'm working on a rewrite of a 97k word novel, but I'm going to take a break in November to participate in NaNoWriMo. For the new NaNo novel, I've been sketching out ideas for characters, plot, etc. and I've even written a few scenes.

Here are my tentative goals - can we finalize the goals at the official start of the challenge?

Write 70k words on WIP2 for NaNo

Finish rewrite of WIP1 by March.

By end of Challenge - WIP1 is submission ready. WIP2 is at least a finished 2nd draft.

I'm nervous about this, but I think this challenge will help me finish my projects. I've been struggling to get to a final draft.
Yay! :hooray: Welcome along, Jennifer! You're challenger number 44.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Also, just in case any of y'all are looking to heap praise on the person who came up with the novel challenge idea, here's your man: MattJ.

Matt, this was a great idea, and i'm very glad you suggested it :)

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score
Sweet--I'll play. :)

Right now I'm scrambling to finish the first draft of my WIP before Nov 1st and am outlining a new idea (WIP2) for NaNoWriMo.

I'd like to manage the following:
1) Finish WIP2 rough draft by December 2011.
2) Edit/Polish WIP1 and an older trunked novel for submission by no later than April 1, 2012.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I'll be editing while writing new book stuff in November. :) So yay.

I am just wondering which one to work on first. ;)