The Novel Challenge Sign-Up Booth--it's never too late to join!

Ses

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevebargdill.com
crazy novel month

Is it too late to sign up?

I'm planning on doing a novel between Dec 8th and Jan 7th. The outline's done. 133 scenes to go!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Is it too late to sign up?

I'm planning on doing a novel between Dec 8th and Jan 7th. The outline's done. 133 scenes to go!
Nope, definitely not too late, Ses :) Welcome along!

Here's some pre-kickoff cheers: Go, go, go! :e2cheer:

KatieJ

I think I'm back....
Registered
Reaction score
I hope it's not too late to join - I'm 30,000 words into the first edit of my NaNo book, The Devil's Daughter. I'm vacillating between euphoria and disgust, 2000 words a day. Goal is to finish by January 30th.

Kate

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Definitely not too late to join, Katie :) :welcome: to the Novel Challenge!

HunterEmkay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
hunteremkay.com
Hi, I'd love to join up. I started writing my novel exactly 1st November (not NaNoWriMo this year), and intend having it finished ready for submission in 6 months(ish), then writing another.

This will be my first challenge at AW, I hope it's okay to join up now, ready for the new year too.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
:hi: Hi Hunter. Welcome to AW and to the Novel Challenge! :)

It's never too late to join :)

sky warrior books

Redneck Ninja and Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com
Tonight's check-in:

Let's see, wrote nothing. Organized the other subplots and discovered that (urk!) they're more or less finished at 32K. So, 32K + 45K= 77K-ish. :Wha:

Damn, this is a short novel. :Headbang:

I do have a few scenes I need to think about and I probably could beef it up in description. But 23K more? Hmm....:e2writer::e2bummed:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Tonight's check-in:

Let's see, wrote nothing. Organized the other subplots and discovered that (urk!) they're more or less finished at 32K. So, 32K + 45K= 77K-ish. :Wha:

Damn, this is a short novel. :Headbang:

I do have a few scenes I need to think about and I probably could beef it up in description. But 23K more? Hmm....:e2writer::e2bummed:
Hey, as long as it's good, right? :)

Could you add in some more subplots?

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
Right. I am willing to sign up. I'm 8422 words into Seas of Mist. I think at my current rate I can get the first draft done by, say, August next year. I want to be submitting it early 2013 at the latest.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Awesome, Anninyn! :hooray: Welcome along to the Novel Challenge :)

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
Thanks, Izz. I'll admit, wondering if I'm taking a bit much on as I'll also be doing to first module of an English degree next year, but as so far I've had no luck getting a job there won't be any other demands on my time.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Well, you can always reschedule as necessary, can't you? :)

sky warrior books

Redneck Ninja and Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com
Hey, as long as it's good, right? :)

Could you add in some more subplots?

I'm not particularly happy with it, but it has more to do with the flow and continuity than the actual writing. I wrote a good portion of this book back in 2002, if you believe the file tags on the book's details, and it has a kinda chunky feel to me. For one thing, I'm not the same person I was 10 years ago. The other thing is that I'm delving back into that "brain" from then and find it hopelessly convoluted. :crazy:

It has too many subplots as it is, and if I could improve the writing, it would be to add more "feel" to it. I've also left a huge part of story in limbo, but I'm not sure what would work without causing the reader to go insane from the complexity.

Ah well. I spent the afternoon pounding my head against some royalty software. I may have to whack it again tonight. :Hammer: :Headbang:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Oh, and if any of you challengers are also bloggers, we'll be running blog-chains every month. This month's topic is 'Plan of Attack,' relating, of course, to how we plan to attack our Novel or Short Fiction challenges.

If you're keen to participate, here's the thread: W1S1 December Blog Chain. Just pop in to say you want to play, and leave a link to your blog. We've just reached the last of the current participants, so you can jump in immediately, if you want :)

Next month the blog chain topic will be 'Interviewing a Character.' I'll provide a base list of questions we can ask a prominent character from our WiP, but there'll be plenty of room for expansion, i'm sure.

katsincommand

Writer, Not Quitter
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dmbonanno.com
Methinks I'm in. I'm 70% done with a first draft, but will be picking up another novel to get it done and out the door. Unless I decidde i'm NOT sick of these characters and want to get it done and out... decisions!!!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
:hooray: Sounds good, Dawn! One of the great things about the challenge is that you can tailor it to whatever suits you. The only thing that doesn't really change is the end goal: Subbing the novel!

Catalyn

Nano'ing....
Registered
Reaction score
Well I'd planned on finally getting from 'planning' to 'writing' in 2012 with the current project, so this seems like a good way to get motivated! Unfortunately I have a pretty hectic job this year, and also doing a part-time degree, so I have no idea what kind of timescale to set....

Let's just aim for having a polished novel ready for release into the wild by the end of 2012 and see what happens :tongue

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Well I'd planned on finally getting from 'planning' to 'writing' in 2012 with the current project, so this seems like a good way to get motivated! Unfortunately I have a pretty hectic job this year, and also doing a part-time degree, so I have no idea what kind of timescale to set....

Let's just aim for having a polished novel ready for release into the wild by the end of 2012 and see what happens :tongue
woohoo, Catalyn. :welcome: to the Novel Challenge. It's great to have you onboard :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
woohoo! :welcome: along to the challenge, Amberly. It's great to have you onboard!

supernaturalsam

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I am putting my toes into the sand because I need a good firm kick in the pants to keep me on task. I am in the process of writing my first novel with the first draft almost entirely written. Since I am turning 30 in six months, that is my timeline...I would love to have my first novel out by my 30th birthday!