The Novel Challenge Sign-Up Booth--it's never too late to join!

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
i'm in! and particularly interested in getting to know more people on AW. :)

i'm currently in the planning/researching/outlining stages for a new WIP. i was toying with doing NaNo, but i think the amount of research this WIP is going to need makes that not my best approach. also, i just got some agent feedback on a previous MS and am now working through a revision which will push things out on the new WIP a couple of weeks.

but i think - and are we supposed to firm this up down the line, or is this our official goal-making? - i think i'm going to shoot for 6 months to be query-ready on the new WIP. (it's middle grade, so probably around 40K.) and to break it down further, maybe first draft done by February 1, query-ready by May 1.

i'd love to make a goal of when i'll be agented, but i try to keep goals in the realm of things entirely within my control.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
OK, so, just over a day before the novel challenge starts. Not sure how this is going to work.

I've finished 2 chapters this week, to bring my novel to 25,000 words. Which is precisely where I wanted it to be - with the 50,000 words of Nano, that is (almost) a complete first draft.

Not sure the novel is actually any good. As a rule, this is my "suck stage," and this novel is no different than normal.
Push on, SF. Push on through the suck barrier! :) :e2cheer:

i'm in! and particularly interested in getting to know more people on AW. :)

i'm currently in the planning/researching/outlining stages for a new WIP. i was toying with doing NaNo, but i think the amount of research this WIP is going to need makes that not my best approach. also, i just got some agent feedback on a previous MS and am now working through a revision which will push things out on the new WIP a couple of weeks.

but i think - and are we supposed to firm this up down the line, or is this our official goal-making? - i think i'm going to shoot for 6 months to be query-ready on the new WIP. (it's middle grade, so probably around 40K.) and to break it down further, maybe first draft done by February 1, query-ready by May 1.

i'd love to make a goal of when i'll be agented, but i try to keep goals in the realm of things entirely within my control.
:hooray: Welcome to the gang, JoyMC! Sounds like you've set yourself some good goals, too.

Almost Nov 1...

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
I've got to say that this is a great idea. I'm pumped to get going with this!

I got my outline done. And realized, I can totally turn this into a series. It's gonna be so much fun to write it might even just write itself!

And...have an animator friend who read the outline and is willing to turn it into a graphic novel after I'm done. YAY! More motivation to get this done!

Just wondering about the weekly updates thing? Are we going to have our own individual threads to update or are we just putting updates here to share our progress?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I've got to say that this is a great idea. I'm pumped to get going with this!

I got my outline done. And realized, I can totally turn this into a series. It's gonna be so much fun to write it might even just write itself!

And...have an animator friend who read the outline and is willing to turn it into a graphic novel after I'm done. YAY! More motivation to get this done!
Ha! Awesome! :hooray:

Just wondering about the weekly updates thing? Are we going to have our own individual threads to update or are we just putting updates here to share our progress?
Each month i (or if i can't, someone else) will start a thread where we can all check-in and relate our progress and hard or good times, etc. I'll post nudges in the thread periodically to get us updating, and hopefully will link to good articles/resources/etc.

Though, if you want to start an individual thread, then do so! Whatever works for you :)

JenniferB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingcocoon.blogspot.com
Last day. :) Everyone has outlines finished? :D

Well...not quite a finished outline, but I do have a plan;)

November 1 is just hours away, and I'm looking forward to NaNo. BUT, I'm really looking forward to continued support from this Novel Challenge in the coming 12 months.

I'll also be posting about the challenge and NaNo over at my blog.

Anyone on Google+? I'm just getting started on it for NaNo. I'd be glad to create an AW Novel Challenge circle if there are any others in the challenge with an account.

Yeehaw, let the challenge begin! :D

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Finished? Depends which outline draft you're talking about. :D And no research done. This could get interesting.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Do you want a shiny badge so everybody knows you're doing the Novel Challenge? Of course you do. And, thanks to Lillie, you can! It's all steampunky and everything.

Go on, put it in your signature. Wear it loud and wear it proud!

Thanks, Lillie! You rock :e2headban

missf410

Struggling to be the dream...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm In!

I'm writing 2 stories during nanowrimo. One is a contemporary romance and the second is a paranormal romance/ urban fantasy? I'm not sure what the difference is in those are. If someone can tell me I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hi missf :) Sounds like you've given yourself a real big task for November.

A contemporary romance is your typical romance story, usually set sometime after World War II. More general info here.

A paranormal romance is a romance that involves fantastical and/or supernatural elements. More general info here.

Hope that helps! :)

Last edited:

akbowens

Registered
Reaction score
I may as well do this

I've already determined I'm going to write a novel. I'm already over 10k words into it, so thats a good start I think. :)

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to join too, please, with the goal of having a novel ready to query at the beginning of November 2012. And a short story per month - I hope. Thanks!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I'd like to join too, please, with the goal of having a novel ready to query at the beginning of November 2012. And a short story per month - I hope. Thanks!
w00t! Welcome along, Pemako :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
*gentle nudge*

Remember, you can sign up for the challenge at any time, on your terms. Come one, come all!

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'll sign up for this. So we can make our own deadline, right? I want to finish my novel and get the query ready in 6 months. I know it sounds like a lot, but I have just about the whole thing planned out and set in stone.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I think I'll sign up for this. So we can make our own deadline, right? I want to finish my novel and get the query ready in 6 months. I know it sounds like a lot, but I have just about the whole thing planned out and set in stone.
:hooray: Welcome along, Arcadia. Sounds like a good plan, too.

Our November hang out is here. There'll be a new one each month.

ktbarrow

Registered
Reaction score
Is it too late to join in? I'd like to start this in January. Does that throw things off?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Is it too late to join in? I'd like to start this in January. Does that throw things off?
It's never too late to join in :)

:hooray: Welcome to AW and the AW Novel Challenge, ktbarrow :welcome:

You can start whenever you want, and participate for however long you want :)

Write on!