British Slang For a Crazy Night

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Just to clarify, in case Mr.Crump is reading this forum, 'Johnny Crump' is rhyming slang for 'dump'.

I've already been pulled up for unthinkingly using a commonly used rhyming slang term on AWWC that it was thought might cause an international incident. I'd hate to see Mr. Crump getting upset.

Chris, I've said it in PM too, but if you have a problem with the moderation take it up with Mac. Don't gritch about it on the forum.

Also, read the Newbie Guide.

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
Err, not sure if this is still on topic or if the question is answered... but as a teenager if there was a crazy night I would've said 'mental' -- "It was mental last night, did you see..." etc. Or 'mad' maybe, but that might be a bit 90s.

I think the cool kids say 'nang' these days. Not sure if nang is applicable for a bad situation though. I think it just means 'good'.

Watch a few Eastenders episodes, get a feel for it :)

Chris Graham

Banned
Reaction score
Chris, I've said it in PM too, but if you have a problem with the moderation take it up with Mac. Don't gritch about it on the forum.

Also, read the Newbie Guide.

No... you get me wrong, I have no problem at all with the moderation, it's necessary with such a 'broad church'. Some very good points were made that I hadn't considered, or even thought of, and I accept them. I don't want to offend anyone.
I'm not really sure what 'gritch' means, it's a new word to me, but I assume from context that it's something like 'complain', which I wasn't doing. I was merely qualifying my comment to the other poster using humour.
I understand now that we have to cede to the lowest common denominator where sensitivities are concerned, and that there are people viewing this site that are more sensitive than I'd realised.
I'm sorry about that.... really I am.

evilrooster

Wicked chicken
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunpig.com
No... you get me wrong, I have no problem at all with the moderation, it's necessary with such a 'broad church'. Some very good points were made that I hadn't considered, or even thought of, and I accept them. I don't want to offend anyone.

I was hoping that you would see what I meant. Unfortunately...

I'm not really sure what 'gritch' means, it's a new word to me, but I assume from context that it's something like 'complain', which I wasn't doing. I was merely qualifying my comment to the other poster using humour.

I think that you would be wisest to cut back on the jokes until you've spent a little more time demonstrating that you've genuinely listened to the feedback you've been given. Because right now, it sounds like you're sulking like a twelve-year-old because you've been asked to change your behaviour.

I understand now that we have to cede to the lowest common denominator where sensitivities are concerned, and that there are people viewing this site that are more sensitive than I'd realised.

It would be my sincere recommendation that, if you want to become a respected and valued member of this community, that you drop the "people are so oversensitive" schtick immediately and show that you are listening to the recommendations of the moderation team.

As a writer, you should be mindful of the impact of your words, and consider the audience for which you're producing them. That's the basic level of competence and maturity we require to participate in this community. I'd suggest your immediate goal would be to demonstrate your ability to meet that basic level, and reserve your wittier side for a time when your readers are more convinced of your genuine goodwill.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
That your humor is being consistently misinterpreted might be a good hint to knock it off until people get to know you better.
I sent you a detailed PM explaining why we take the approach we do. Please read it. Then read the Newbie Guide, to which you have been referred at least three times now.

Again, your word choice is letting you down. "Lowest common denominator" is patronizing at best.
Apologizing isn't good enough. If you don't intend to offend, try taking on board the feedback you've been given and moderating your behavior appropriately.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

As apologies go, that's a complete fail.

Good day sir.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
The privy, the hole, the dunny, the little girl's/boy's room, the WC, the toilet, the log-shed, the library, the reek, the smallest room, Upstairs, the little tent, the nearest bush, watering the trees, tapping a kidney, going for a leak, draining the lizard, answering nature's call, recycling the tea or just 'Be right back'

Trevor.

Brownie points if you get the ref.

For those who aren't Irish, the C word is a term of endearment here. And the people you insult most are usually your best friends.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Err, not sure if this is still on topic or if the question is answered... but as a teenager if there was a crazy night I would've said 'mental' -- "It was mental last night, did you see..." etc. Or 'mad' maybe, but that might be a bit 90s.

'Messy' is a current one (all the lads at work use it - it got really messy last night, it was awesome! You were a mess etc etc)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Trevor.

Brownie points if you get the ref.

For those who aren't Irish, the C word is a term of endearment here. And the people you insult most are usually your best friends.

LOL! In that instance, it really wasn't...... trust me!

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe OP should watch Youngers on Channel 4 to see how the Londoners speak these days. I swear those adverts are in code.

You got bare skillz bruv.

Wot you talkin' 'bout boi? Dat madness blud.

I feel so old. A bit like this