Kindle file size = word count or pages?

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
In looking at Kindle books on Amazon, I haven't seen many (any?) with word counts listed. But they all have the kb size of a download. Is there any way to tell how long a book is by the kb size? How to know if it's a novella, an 80k novel, or a 120k novel? Or maybe it's just a 15k short story?

For instance: I was just looking at a Kindle version of a novel. File size says 167kb. One of the reviews mentions that it was quite short for a novel, about 50k.

Look at another book. A new Lee Child has file size listed as 5kb, and also says print length 416 pages (which corresponds to the hard cover copy). 5kb must be a typo?

http://www.amazon.com/Affair-Reacher-Novel-Jack-ebook/dp/B004P8JPS6/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1315979906&sr=1-1

Tried another novel. This one on Kindle is 502 kb, mm paperback 368 pages.

http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Ship-Chatham-Mystery-ebook/dp/B004CFB03K/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

How do I know how long a story I'm getting for my $2.99 or $4.99 or $9.99 or whatever, if pages/word count aren't listed? Can I tell by looking at the file size, somehow?

I'm guessing whatever equation there is for Kindle won't work for other ebook formats ... smashwords or nook or the other file types.

So if the author/publisher doesn't list word count, is it just a crap shoot as to what I'm getting for the money???

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt there's anything reliable. It likely depends on how complicated the formatting is, and while that should more or less be standard, it really depends on how the ebook was prepared. What I'm more curious about, at least from a non-digital perspective, is your comment on "what I'm getting for the money?" I'm curious about since when length had any correlation with quality? Wouldn't it be simpler to download a sample and see how much you enjoy the writing than fret about how long it is?

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. I guess for the same reason that if I went to a bookstore, and saw a short story on the shelf for $8.99, and then saw a novel on the shelf for $8.99, I'd think the short story was overpriced.

In print, it's fast/easy to see by looking at font size and number of pages. How thick is the spine? What's the page size?

Should it make a difference? Dunno. I guess it does to me for some reason, and it did to the reviewer who commented on my first example. He thought it was too short.

Maybe it won't matter after awhile of getting used to digital books? Hey, I wasn't fretting, don't think so. ;) Just trying to figure things out.

Steven_Lake

Sci-Fi Guru/Linux Geek
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.realmsofimagination.net
Juniper: I agree that they should post a word and/or page count with the ebooks, but at the same time they likely don't want to for the exact reason that you stated. Plus you have a lot of variables to consider when determining book size. For one, you have overhead, formatting, the included book cover, and the fact that the file is compressed (all ebook formats use some form of compression, with the exception of PDF and RTF.), so that further throws off your calculations. So in the end it's a massive shot in the dark. In fact, I don't think that anyone even comes close to having a working math solution to guessing the total possible words in an ebook file based strictly on file size.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Page counts are irrelevant for e-books, the reader's font size pref determines "page" length. Word count would be nice, but then the average non-writing reader could be scared off by numbers, so maybe that's a vain hope.