Biographies

Status
Not open for further replies.

KelseyF

Registered
Reaction score
Biographies - New Question

Assuming this goes here...

Just have a hypothetical question. I got into a conversation with someone about this and started wondering more.

If someone wanted to write an unofficial biography (you know, like those little, not very thick books that fans buy for as much the pictures as the info...I think I have the Jessica Alba one,:)) on an actor, they still write a book proposal right?

What makes an official biography different from the unofficial? My friend said the official got the answers directly from the person, the unofficial got their answers/info directly from the fan website.

So what if I wanted to write an official biography? Do I write a book proposal? Do I need to guarantee I have interviews with the person? How do I get said interviews? Do managers really give you the time of day when you call them up and say that you would like interviews with their clients for a book you're writing, but isn't guaranteed publication?

I have interviewed six major celebrities for newspaper articles, but never even thought about the book idea. Depending on your answers, maybe this will be something I think about, so any advice is very, very much appreciated.

Also, not something I'm thinking about, but have been curious about since spotting a Desperate Housewives official guide in Barnes and Noble, are people commissioned for TV show guides?

Thanks again in advance...sorry about the long post and possibly naive questions :)

Last edited:

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
KelseyF.
I will see if I can answer some of your questions for you...
I write biographies...
Un-official: is a un-authorized biographie... they take a great deal of research, anything from interviews to sitting in the research room of local libraries....

Official: That is working either with the person or estate of the person in which you are writing about.... either openly or as a ghost writer...

In writing either a un-authorized or authored a propsal is you first step... very few agents work with celeb bios so you have to be careful who you approach.

As for your question about the TV show books... I assume the production company owns the rights to the printed matter that is spun off the shows such as desperate housewifes...

Yes, some managers will return your phone calls... but understand this... THEY WILL PROTECT THEIR CLIENTS.... so they will want a lot of questions answered....

I hope this helps somewhat...

KelseyF

Registered
Reaction score
So is it better to submit book proposals before contacting managers? I guess this way, you have something to tell the management.... But if you go the other way around, nothing very strong to tell in the book proposal.

KelseyF

Registered
Reaction score
Alright, I have done some thinking and am changing my question.

I want to write a biography on an actress who is not *very* famous; sort of a current "it" girl. There are no existing books about this person, but there are a few fan sites that are very active. I have never interviewed this particular actress, however I have other examples of articles that I have written and interviews I have conducted with other actors of equal and higher celebrity status - I mention this because these would be available to show managers, the talent, and interested publishers.

What is my first step? Who is it I call? If it is the actress I call first, what must I say and/or do before writing the book proposal and contacting possible publishers. Or, possibly, do I write the book proposal before contacting the actress so I have something to show her.

If it matters, I picture this as a small, strictly fan book about a currently popular actress.

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
KelseyF said:
Alright, I have done some thinking and am changing my question.

I want to write a biography on an actress who is not *very* famous; sort of a current "it" girl. There are no existing books about this person, but there are a few fan sites that are very active. I have never interviewed this particular actress, however I have other examples of articles that I have written and interviews I have conducted with other actors of equal and higher celebrity status - I mention this because these would be available to show managers, the talent, and interested publishers.

What is my first step? Who is it I call? If it is the actress I call first, what must I say and/or do before writing the book proposal and contacting possible publishers. Or, possibly, do I write the book proposal before contacting the actress so I have something to show her.

If it matters, I picture this as a small, strictly fan book about a currently popular actress.
Let me see if I can break this down for ya....
I take it that you want this book to be a authorized bio. Am I correct in assuming this?
If so then you have many many hurdles to go through....
Would I go to the Management of this actress... NO....
Would I go to the Actress...NO...
I would sit and write out the first 3 chapters outline the rest of the book, and write a marketing prop up and search for a agent that handles this type of book.... Then go from there.... and that is still no guarenty that YOU will be the one doing it....
for My time and effort I work un-authorized....
But be very careful in which agents you choose.....

KelseyF

Registered
Reaction score
Does it have to be the first three chapters, or can it be any three chapters? The reason I ask is because I have a lot of infortmation, but it's the kind of information that you can kind about any celebrity... there are a lot of blank spots where interesting information can be. I know the basic outline of the book, but know more about her current life as an actor, than her earlier life (which has a lot of information too).

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
KelseyF said:
Does it have to be the first three chapters, or can it be any three chapters? The reason I ask is because I have a lot of infortmation, but it's the kind of information that you can kind about any celebrity... there are a lot of blank spots where interesting information can be. I know the basic outline of the book, but know more about her current life as an actor, than her earlier life (which has a lot of information too).

Yes, it is the first 3 chapters... then you can outline the rest of the book....

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
But the first chapter doesn't need to start with her birth or background. You can start with an incident that shows either how she got where she is or that illuminates her character, then in chapter 2 start filling in the background.

Another idea is to start with doing a profile of her for a magazine and see how it goes. This would also give you some credibility with her management.

KelseyF

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, okay...good idea Tish. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I don't mean to be disagreeable, but I wouldn't do it that way. I'd start by contacting her "people" (agent, manager, or publicist-- whoever I could reach), expressing my interest in writing an authorized bio and sending along samples of my work.

Only after I get a sign of interest would I go further. Without talking to the celeb, there isn't much point in writing up three chapters-- those three chapters would be applicable only if it were to be an unauthorized bio. With authorized, you should be able to get a lot more info (and fresh quotes) straight from the source, instead of repeated from elsewhere.

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
I don't mean to be disagreeable, but I wouldn't do it that way. I'd start by contacting her "people" (agent, manager, or publicist-- whoever I could reach), expressing my interest in writing an authorized bio and sending along samples of my work.

Only after I get a sign of interest would I go further. Without talking to the celeb, there isn't much point in writing up three chapters-- those three chapters would be applicable only if it were to be an unauthorized bio. With authorized, you should be able to get a lot more info (and fresh quotes) straight from the source, instead of repeated from elsewhere.

Yes Jenna I do agree with you on all points... but.... (you knew that was coming)...
I have seen that scene played out very well... I have seen managers go behind the backs of writers and place the idea and the work with someone else...
by having the first 3 chapters done(and they do not have to be written in stone).. the managers can see that this writer is serious... about doing this bio....
Which is why I suggested to get everything ready.

KelseyF

Registered
Reaction score
I've already started writing notes and outlines. Thanks Jenna for your input...I was kind of hoping to hear what you said, simply because I am more comfortable going to her people first (just because I'm not as new to that whole scene as I am the bio one). Plus I would rather it be authorized than just another unauthorized piece of info you can find all over the internet. Thanks so much for everything, and if anyone else has any more advice, it is *much* needed over here :)

Kelsey

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
Kelsey

You wrote:"Plus I would rather it be authorized than just another unauthorized piece of info you can find all over the internet. Thanks so much for everything, and if anyone else has any more advice, it is *much* needed over here
smile.gif
"

I have one problem here with this statement.... If you are any other person thinks that I or anyother biographer, authorized or un-authorized... sits and canvases the internet for info on anyone just to sit and write an un-authoruzed bio then CHILD you are very sadly mistaken.... the research that I do is vital to my name and reputation as a writer.... I have never relied on just one source... and many times I have interviewed those individuals that were there.... and yes many many times I have recieved directions from the people that I was researching .... reason being it keeps their names out of it....
BUT COMB THE INTERNET JUST TO FIND TRASH ON SOMEONE, JUST TO MAKE A BUCK.... NEVER..... and you will never find trash written in one of my pieces....
so do not presume that un-authorized is trash in book format....
Good luck with you piece you will need it...

KelseyF

Registered
Reaction score
Biotales,

I apologize, I did not mean to offend. I've picked up two similar, unauthorized books on other actresses that I've glanced over to get an idea of what I was wanting to get into, and found that these two happened to just be regurgitated website facts and pages. Nowhere in my statement did I mean to imply that all unauthorized writers do this, so please do not take it this way. I meant my statement to apply to only myself, you decided it applied to yourself. Regurgitating any information that can be found online has been one of my fears while researching simply because there is *not* a lot of information on this person to begin with, despite a huge demand for it.

Again, I apologize for offending you; this was not my intention. Having said that, please do not call me a "child" again. And while I am sure you're right and I will need luck on this project, please do not mistake my lack of experience for naivety or ignorance. We all start somewhere.

Once again, I'm sorry you took my statement the wrong way, I certainly did not mean to cause offense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.