Not open for further replies.

Diana_Rajchel

Writing from my Seaside Palace
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
My writer-ego is whining this morning because a blogger who appeared to be in my target market responded to an email offering my book for review with one line: "This is heinous."

I am aware such responses are a risk of the work I'm doing. And since, out of a whole lot of contacts I've made, I've gotten 3 negative responses and one delusional one, I'm aware that I'm actually doing pretty well. Still, - ouch.

What are the more significant negative responses you have gotten, and how have you handled them? Were any actual teaching moments, rather than knee-jerk reactions?

Velcro

Scribbling Scribe
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry you got that type of reaction. On the bright side, it's a strong reaction...I only seem to get generic polite rejections that make me suspect the editor/publisher never even bothered reading my work.

I think it all comes down to if you believe in your work. If you feel it's "not heinous" then keep submitting it. If there's a lingering doubt in your mind that you might need to do some rewriting or more editing, then I'd say go that route.

If nothing else just remember: opinions are like @$$holes. everbody has one and they think their's don't stink.

Diana_Rajchel

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
I'm sorry you got that type of reaction. On the bright side, it's a strong reaction...I only seem to get generic polite rejections that make me suspect the editor/publisher never even bothered reading my work.

I think it all comes down to if you believe in your work. If you feel it's "not heinous" then keep submitting it. If there's a lingering doubt in your mind that you might need to do some rewriting or more editing, then I'd say go that route.

If nothing else just remember: opinions are like @$$holes. everbody has one and they think their's don't stink.

Just to clarify, this wasn't an editor's response, it was a blogger's, in response to my offer of a copy of the book for review. Those who have actually read the work like it - I've had some glowing reviews.

But yes, I'm aware we all have our opinions. Has anyone found a negative reaction in any way edifying?

Ultimate Cheapskate

Registered
Reaction score
Accokeek, Maryland -- 20 miles south of Washington
I'm confused: Was he implying that offering him a free copy of the book to review was "heinous," or that the topic or your book itself was "heinous?"

As for finding some positive in negative reactions, I rarely pay any attention to the cricitism (constructive or otherwise) of others, unless they're in a position to write me a check (i.e. a publisher/editor). As noted previously, strong reactions - both positive and negative - are generally a better sign than mild reactions (or no reaction at all) that you're doing something right.

Good luck.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like the blogger considered the offer heinous, in which case it was an unkind and inappropriate response. The response should have been something professional along the lines of, "I don't accept books directly from authors for review. Best of luck, etc. etc."

Diana_Rajchel

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
Sounds like the blogger considered the offer heinous, in which case it was an unkind and inappropriate response. The response should have been something professional along the lines of, "I don't accept books directly from authors for review. Best of luck, etc. etc."

It wasn't clear, really, if the response was to the book or to the email. Some people's personal definition of spam is really rigid - an unsolicited email from a parent you actually like would count. I honestly didn't see asking for clarification leading me anywhere good.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
It wasn't clear, really, if the response was to the book or to the email. Some people's personal definition of spam is really rigid - an unsolicited email from a parent you actually like would count. I honestly didn't see asking for clarification leading me anywhere good.

Oh, I read it as your only having made the offer. Anyway, I agree that asking for clarification (or engaging in any further correspondence, actually) wouldn't have ended well.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
What the h.....

What an unusual term to use. I don't think I would care to hear more from this person. Their use of that term and the vagueness of what they might be referring to leaves me cold. But, that just might be me.

If others, not family or friends, appear to enjoy your work, then move on by this one. IMHO

Best wishes to you.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Some bloggers get offered a lot of books and get a bit sick of it. No excuse for being rude but maybe they mistook it for a mass mailing. (The worst I have ever done is just ignore unsolicited offers. I feel a bit bad about that but some weeks I get dozens of these offers, and my blogs aren't all that popular--so I can only imagine what the big guys get).

Diana_Rajchel

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
Some bloggers get offered a lot of books and get a bit sick of it. No excuse for being rude but maybe they mistook it for a mass mailing. (The worst I have ever done is just ignore unsolicited offers. I feel a bit bad about that but some weeks I get dozens of these offers, and my blogs aren't all that popular--so I can only imagine what the big guys get).

I run a fairly popular plus-size fashion blog, and I experience the same problem. At least I do know both sides of the issue! I've handled the inundation by setting up an email filter for anything related to my plus size blog; this way I can get back to the marketers on my own time and terms. I also don't respond to all of them - in writing, if I pitch something that's a miss, I expect a rejection or no response. I handle marketers the same way.

jamesn65

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nickjamesbooks.com
That is weird. I'd expect, if they weren't interested, they just wouldn't reply at all. To go out of their way and offer such a response is really baffling. Is your book controversial or something? Haha

Nonny

Serve no master but your ambition
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinamorgan.com
That seems very strange to me. Most of the review bloggers I'm aware of take submissions from authors and don't expect to only get mailings from the publisher. I wouldn't take it personally, though. I'd avoid sending out anything to that reviewer in the future, though.

Diana_Rajchel

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
That seems very strange to me. Most of the review bloggers I'm aware of take submissions from authors and don't expect to only get mailings from the publisher. I wouldn't take it personally, though. I'd avoid sending out anything to that reviewer in the future, though.

Oh yes, there's a note on my database that says "heinous."

Diana_Rajchel

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
That is weird. I'd expect, if they weren't interested, they just wouldn't reply at all. To go out of their way and offer such a response is really baffling. Is your book controversial or something? Haha

It's the book in my sig. There is no book in my teeny tiny genre that does not have a passionate detractor somewhere; any approach you take offends someone. It's one of the peculiarities of the subject matter.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Frankly, whether it were a response to an offer of a book for review OR the review of the actual book, I would still consider this blogger to be somewhat unprofessional in their approach and would therefore never trust anything they ever said (or at least take it with a large pince of salt).They sound immature and rude and either incapable of making a balanced and constructive review (if it was the review) or dealing with other professionals with respect (if it was the offer). I agree that 'I'm sorry I do not have time to review that book at present' is better than a single word rejection.

Shrug and ignore them is my advice and allow other bloggers the chance to review your work. There are enough of them out there and some of them have the decency to treat other people as if they were human beings.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I've had one review of my latest book that approached sarcasm, and a luke warm one on Amazon that I really don't understand. Other than those prickly thorns, everything else has been positive. But for the life of me, I can't understand why my paranormal romance pulls loads of 5-stars and my SF limps along at 3.5.

Tri

Status
Not open for further replies.