My name's Spencer, I wrote a book, & I think I'm cursed

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
76 query rejections can certainly be "normal," because there's so little that's normal about the process. But yeah, one request and 76 rejections does raise flags with me. There may be something off. Maybe the query itself is fine—maybe you're just targeting all the wrong agents. Once you hit 50 posts and share the query, things will make a lot more sense.

In the meantime, if you haven't already, read through QueryShark. All of it. Best query resource on the web, IMO.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
glitter-graphics-welcome-647430.gif

Caledonia Lass

Registered
Reaction score
Well, you know some people get hundreds of rejections before they are published. Not unusual. Do you have a blog? Perhaps you could post your query up there and ask for some help and feedback. Good luck!

CM-Lance

Registered
Reaction score
Website
CM-Lance.com
Welcome Spencer. About that curse, has your car ever hit a dragonfly? A little known fact: Dragonflys are leprechauns' favorite steeds. To atone, offer up a glass of Irish whiskey to the Sidhe. They'll accept it through your stomach, but remember to hum an offertory ditty before you pour it out.

G. Applejack

Write faster! FASTER!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Spencer. About that curse, has your car ever hit a dragonfly? A little known fact: Dragonflys are leprechauns' favorite steeds. To atone, offer up a glass of Irish whiskey to the Sidhe. They'll accept it through your stomach, but remember to hum an offertory ditty before you pour it out.

SOLID ADVICE. ;)

I also recommend a pinch of salt thrown over your left shoulder. I did that the other day and won a free ticket on my lottery scratcher. Woohoo.

sperrynluv

Bundle up. It's cold out there.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
comeoutwhenyourehappy.blogspot.com
I feel your pain. I had a partial request on a manuscript and a very nice rejection followed. At first I thought my query didn't suck. But then I didn't get any other requests. I think I just hit an agent who'd been in a good mood ( or drinking lol) She gave me some good advice - which I followed. If the agent said your manuscript wasn't what they expected then you definately need to rewrite it. Good luck and welcome!

spentastico

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.spencerphelpsdotcom.com
SOLID ADVICE. ;)

I also recommend a pinch of salt thrown over your left shoulder. I did that the other day and won a free ticket on my lottery scratcher. Woohoo.

Ah yes! I believe the next step is to poop on a four-leaf clover, sautee the mess with a green onion until golden brown, then offer the dish up to the Norse God of Wireless Fidelity. Correct? ;)

That query shark site is awesome. I spiced up my query based on a lot of the advice this guy has given; cut about 80-some words from it.

I've gone over the manuscript a few times to cut, nibble, and prune (or Dennis Miller likes to use the word "Bonzai" as a verb), and I'm happy with it. We'll see what this new iteration of the query letter produces. Thanks for the info!

MariaL

Registered
Reaction score
I checked the Query Shark blog and it's really helpful - one of the latest query submissions was hilarious - as in brilliant! I'm still to write my query, been struggling with my storyline or synopsis.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to offer my hellos to you, Ohio dude.
If you need anything while you're here, just yell....or pm....or rep point.... or something.

Enjoy your stay while you're here.