The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: The Lotts Agency (Chris Lotts)

Father, Husband, Soldier, Christian Brian P. White's Avatar

The Lotts Agency (Chris Lotts)

Chris Lotts left Raines & Raines (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...t=lotts+agency) and formed his own Lotts Agency. However, aside from agentquery.com (http://www.agentquery.com/agent_print.aspx?agentid=246), I don't really know much about his agency right now.

Does anyone have any RECENT experience with The Lotts Agency?

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Chris Lotts was originally with Ralph Vicinanza which means he was part of a highly successful and top notch agency.

As Waylander said, Chris left Vicinanza a couple of months ago (as did Christopher Schelling; Chris Lotts was never with any other agency to my knowledge); in the wake of Ralph's death, Ralph Vicinanza Ltd. has essentially ceased to operate as an agency.

The announcement in PM:

Chris Lotts and Christopher Schelling have left Ralph Vicinanza Ltd to open new agencies. The Lotts Agency will continue Lotts's representation of commercial fiction and targeted upmarket non-fiction in a mix of domestic and foreign rights, working on behalf of Stephen King, George R.R. Martin, Robin Hobb, Connie Willis, Robert J. Sawyer R. Scott Bakker, Stacia Kane and Lia Habel, among many others. At Schelling’s new shop, Selectric Artists, he will continue with authors like Augusten Burroughs, Cinda Williams Chima, John Elder Robison, Louis Bayard, Kim Stanley Robinson and Haven Kimmel, while also expanding his representation into other media, such as managing the singer-songwriter career of Tony Award-winning actress Alice Ripley. Although the two companies will be separate, Lotts Agency will continue to handle a number of Selectric's authors for translation.
    Chris is my agent (as noted in the announcement). I love him. But I believe he's closed to queries at the moment.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Absolutely Fazed
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
    Chris is my agent (as noted in the announcement). I love him. But I believe he's closed to queries at the moment.
    Would it be possible for you to verify that? Since his website isn't working, I was going by agentquery.com, which said he's accepting queries (but has a no response = no policy). If he's closed, I'll just assume my query was deleted unread and update my spreadsheet.

I'll double-check with him, yeah; last time we discussed it he said he was closed, but I'll confirm.

Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Just confirmed; he is indeed closed to queries for the time being.

When that changes I'll update.

A Free Range Aspergian johnrobison's Avatar
    In the Vicinanza agency, Chris Schelling was the US agent, where Chris Lotts was the foreign rights expert. Not to say they don't both represent US artists (they do) but Lotts is known for foreign rights expertise where Schelling represents authors like my brother and I, etc. Those two agents do very different jobs. The Schelling agency is Selectric Artists, which you can find on Facebook now
    John Elder Robison
    Blogging at: http://jerobison.blogspot.com/ Visit my author page at www.johnrobison.com, and my car business at www.robisonservice.com

practical experience, FTW
    The Selectric website invites queries. Thats incorrect?

Coffee Coffee Work Coffee AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RunWrite View Post
    The Selectric website invites queries. Thats incorrect?
    Selectric Artists (Christopher Schelling) and the Lotts Agency (Chris Lots) are two different agencies.

This thread is about Mr. Lotts's agency (i.e., Mr. Lotts is closed to queries at the moment).

Maybe the posts about Mr. Schelling and Selectric Artists should be broken into another thread? (Though, I'm guessing if their website says they're open, they are.)
    Latest Release: Daily Grind
    Coming October 2017: Outside the Lines

Website * Twitter * Tumblr

Hi, guys:

Does Mr. Lotts send an acknowledgement of receipt email or respond to queries he passes on?

Thanks.
    Richard

It was that bastard manís voice that woke my father. Papu found himself back in his cell, lying atop a lush bed crafted of various male and female organs and his enemy's passions. Strong with that bastard manís magic, the organs restrained Papu and sensually rubbed against him. Some xxxxxxx him and some xxxxxx with his xxxxxxx.

Poetry and Jest

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    I don't think I've ever heard a bad word about Chris Lotts. I've heard plenty of good ones.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

let me tell you about my dogs victoriajakes's Avatar
    Has anyone queried Mr. Lotts recently? Agentquery says he's open, but his website seems down.

Not as sweet as you think Aggy B.'s Avatar
    VictoriaJakes, I queried him in January, but haven't heard anything back. It looks like the last time anyone on QT received a response was over a year ago.
    _________
    A.G.C.

OF LIPS AND TONGUE
    "Don't pick it up if you have important things to do today."
    "...the story itself is a masterpiece of horror, paranoia, love, and introduces a startling heroine that people should flock to."
    "If you like dark, unsettling, gorgeous Southern Gothic books with a taste of Southern Fried X-Files, this novella might be your cuppa."
    OF SHADE AND SOUL: Available now!

A.G. Carpenter
    @Aggy_C

let me tell you about my dogs victoriajakes's Avatar
    Thanks for the info, Aggy. I guess it couldn't hurt to try, but I won't get my hopes up.

Father, Husband, Soldier, Christian Brian P. White's Avatar
    How is Chris Lotts doing these days, is he accepting queries yet, and what does he represent?

practical experience, FTW Treehouseman's Avatar
    Like the others I queried in March 2013 and gt no response. (Oh well)

According to Query tracker it looks like he only responds if interested. Someone had a partial request within a month recently, however they looked likr they were the first in years to get one!
    Writin' Urban Explorin' and other stuff.

Thanks for the info, everyone. He's on my list, so maybe I'll give him a shot.
    YA Fantasy, 65/70k -- writing
    MG Fantasy, first draft completed, on hold
    YA Fantasy, 85k repped!!!
    YA Contemporary, 80k -- shelved

practical experience, FTW S. L. Saboviec's Avatar
    The Query Tracker website has a comment that said he recently requested materials, so it appears he's now open to queries:

EQ: 2/7/15
    PR: 2/11/15
    YA Fantasy
    Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest
    My flash fiction, "I Am NOT Little Red Riding Hood" on Grievous Angel
    Guarding Angel on Goodreads and Amazon
    Reaping Angel on Goodreads and Amazon

He appears to rep Robin Hobb, but aside from selling her latest books, I don't see anything recent on Publisher's Marketplace. Of course, he may not bother reporting his more modest deals.

I'm a bit confused about how to query him, though. The only website I'm getting for Lotts Agency is this site, which appears to be for a polish agency called Graal. It's got me scratching my head, as there are no submission instructions, and it seems a bit odd.

http://www.graal.com.pl/en/publisher...tts-agency-ltd
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

The link your connecting to lists the foreign agencies and publishers that Graal works with (as far as I can tell) for the purposes of subrights.

His AgentQuery profile lists a lot of big names (including AW's own Stacia Kane) so maybe he isn't interested in a website because he doesn't need one?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    He is definitely accepting queries - I sent one in November and got a partial request (eventually turned down, but they're obviously there and reading!). He reps an amazing list of authors, including GRRM, Robin Hobb, the Asimov estate.

Good luck all!

He does indeed rep Robin Hobb. He rarely reports deals, and last time I asked he said he'd like to have a site but it's not very high on the priorities list.

Anyone know how to find out what he wants from a query? A letter, I assume, but does he want 5-10 pages and a synopsis also?
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

Quote Originally Posted by Roxxsmom View Post
    Anyone know how to find out what he wants from a query? A letter, I assume, but does he want 5-10 pages and a synopsis also?
    This is what I have in my database:
    Email: send a brief query via querycl@lottsagency.com, including any information regarding previous publications; you may also include the first 5-10 pages of your manuscript in the body of the email (no attachments, please).
    Before going into battle, Vikings would ingest Amanita muscaria. In addition to being moderately poisonous, Amanita muscaria eliminated fear causing them to be feared warriors earning Vikings the nick name berserkers.