Memes

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
This thread was lost in the migration - thought I'd bring it over.

sthrnwriter (original thread starter)

For those who don't know, memes are lists of questions, quizzes, prompts, and so on for blogs and other personal websites that tags from one to another. To clarify, one person posts and answers a list of questions on their blog and another person sees them and decides to post and answer the same questions and so on and so on. That's basically what memes are.

Now, there are also meme groups that one person posts or emails members the questions daily, weekly, or monthly. Technically there are many definitions for what memes are, but I think that's the best way to describe them.

Is anyone a member of a meme group or has participated in memes?

I've actually thought about maybe starting a meme group for AW or possibly Dawno may want to. Would anyone here be interested in joining and being apart of that?

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I thought something looked missing on this forum when I signed on yesterday. Thanks for reposting this, Dawno. :)

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is a fun subject. Maestrowork and I were just tagged by emeraldcite with a great book meme.

I'd love to see us sharing good meme ideas here - what are your favorite memes past and present? Give us some links!

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jen.nifer - you're tagged! Go to my blog, do the meme there and tag some other folk! Let me know in comments when you've done your meme and who you've tagged so we can read theirs too!

I'm thinking of having a meme day and posting it here with who's been tagged. I would hope folks don't come back here to post their memes when tagged - the whole purpose is to get people reading each others blogs :)

Who'd be game for it?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I'm up for it. :) I try to visit everyone's blog every few days, anyway.

unthoughtknown

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennifersando.com
Dawno said:
Jen.nifer - you're tagged! Go to my blog, do the meme there and tag some other folk! Let me know in comments when you've done your meme and who you've tagged so we can read theirs too!

I'm thinking of having a meme day and posting it here with who's been tagged. I would hope folks don't come back here to post their memes when tagged - the whole purpose is to get people reading each others blogs :)

Who'd be game for it?

Yikes, ok! Thanks! First time I've done this so -- how exciting! Heh.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
I"m going out to eat worms

Mac tagged me once for a book meme. It was fun. But it looks as though some blogs do memes all the time. Like a getting to know you function.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Announcing the Monday Meme Challenge

So I'm going to launch a Monday Meme. I will post them in another thread as well as on my blog and it's open to anyone interested - any time you like a particular meme and want to participate, join in. If I end up just writing my own every Monday, that's cool too.

I'm going to make the memes short and topical to writing and writers - who knows, the ideas might make good prompts. :)

If you do decide to pick up the meme, I recommend you link back to the original thread and to the blogs of the people you've tagged to do the meme.

I think it would be fun to create a searchable listing of all the blogs that are picking up the meme. So I've created a Technorati tag. You can add this code to the bottom of your post and ask anyone you tag to do the same: <a href="http://technorati.com/tag/AWMondayMemes" rel="tag">AWMondayMemes</a>

Please usethis tag and not create a new one so all our MondayMeme posts will show up under the same search. :)

It would also be nice,if you decide to play along, if you came back to the thread and tell us you're picking up the meme. You can mention who you tagged as well.

Sometime before I go to work tomorrow morning (and I'm on Pacific time) I'll post the Monday Meme thread.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
BWAHahhahahah--Dawno, I luv ya! You were one of those kids, though, weren't ya. One of those kids who instinctively took charge, on the playground, of all the other little thugs throwing rocks at each other--and organized them into fun and constructive team sports, or something.

This is a terrific idea. :) A great way to draw people in. Good on ya, lady!

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dawno said:
smile.gif

If you do decide to pick up the meme, I recommend you link back to the original thread and to the blogs of the people you've tagged to do the meme.

I think it would be fun to create a searchable listing of all the blogs that are picking up the meme. So I've created a Technorati tag. You can add this code to the bottom of your post and ask anyone you tag to do the same: <a href="http://technorati.com/tag/AWMondayMemes" rel="tag">AWMondayMemes</a>

Please use this tag and not create a new one so all our MondayMeme posts will show up under the same search.
smile.gif

It would also be nice,if you decide to play along, if you came back to the thread and tell us you're picking up the meme. You can mention who you tagged as well.

And... will... you... say... it... again... r e a ll ll ly... slllooowww... for the Kindergarten class?

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let's say Unique does a Monday Meme in her blog. When she's all done with the meme, she comes here and finds the post with the HTML for the tag. Or PM's Dawno. Either way works :)

She'll highlight the tag HTML <a href="http://technorati.com/tag/AWMondayMemes" rel="tag">AWMondayMemes</a> copy it (ctrl C or right click then select "copy" work equally well) and paste it in as the very last thing in her post. When she looks at the finished post it just shows up as AWMondayMemes, all that other HTML stuff is hidden.

Now, if she goes to http://www.technorati.com/tag/AWMondayMemes and other people have tagged their posts with this HTML, all the posts that are thusly tagged should show up in a list. That way you can just click thru the list to see everyone's Monday Meme answers. If it works...

An example is "Dawno" I've tagged a bunch of my posts with that. If you go to http://www.technorati.com/tags/ and type Dawno in the 'search' bar you can see all the blogs with the Dawno tag. They're all mine, mind you, but I did it for fun and to see how it worked.

Does that help?

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Wha: I got the copy/paste part.

I think I'll have to poke buttons to figure out the rest. (s l o w e r next time, okay?)

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Wow. I hadn't realize people were posting on this thread. I'm game for the AWMondayMeme. I look forward to tomorrow.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
So instead of tagging one another, everyone interested in doing the meme would do the meme then "tag" it to the AWMondayMeme site... (and the site will keep a list of these posts...) Is that correct?