And now the wait...

Ergo

Chronic State of Query
Registered
Reaction score
I sent off my first query (just one) this past weekend and am now hitting the refresh button every ten minutes or so. :)

What's the normal lenght to time to fret over a response?

Also, I posted a question about credentials elsewhere but it got mired in the thread. I was Managing Editor of a state journal (circulation 28,000) and served on the Editorial Board for the companion national journal. Will an agent view this as germaine (when my work of fiction is about drugs, desecration, dysfunction and death) or is it just so much wallpaper?

Thanks,

Ergo

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Agents vary in the amount of time you have to wait. QueryTracker has a good database of wait times for most agents.

Some agents (approaching half) will never get back to you.

Your journalistic credentials at least show that you know how to write clearly, which puts you ahead of 90% of what agents receive. It works in your favour, but ultimately all it really does is perhaps encourage the agent to give you a bit more of a chance when they're reading your sample material.

Don't put all your hopes on one agent, you should query at least a half-dozen at a time or it will be a very long process for you.

COchick

in a holding pattern
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leighgrayson.blogspot.com
You might never get a response. When I was querying, I never received anything from more than half of the agents, and I took the silence as a rejection.

I would query more agents instead of just one.

Ergo

Chronic State of Query
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your kind replies. I just browsed through QueryTracker and discovered territory I never knew existed. Wow! My whole approach to agent identification has shifted, and my expectations regarding replies has been put into context.

Sakes... little did I know that running totals of agent queries and a breakdown of dispositions was available.

Thank you!

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, QueryTracker is very handy, if you sign up for the free account it'll work as a spreadsheet to keep track of your queries as well. Have a look at the success stories, most of them sent out 50 or more query letters before finding an agent, you'd have to be incredibly lucky and good to pick up an agent on your first try.

CarlyeKnight

Registered
Reaction score
I have to co-sign what everyone else said. It can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 10 months to hear back, assuming you hear anything at all. It's a good idea to query 5-10 at a time; it's a small enough amount to keep track of, but enough that you're not banking on just one agent. Also, if you get all 5-10 rejections back, this also gives you an idea if your query and synopsis are working in your favor; you might have to tweak them a bit when you query the next batch.

In the meantime keep writing your next book or finally get to pulling those weeds in your neglected garden. :)

Last edited:

kidcharlemagne

Registered
Reaction score
You might never get a response. When I was querying, I never received anything from more than half of the agents, and I took the silence as a rejection.

I would query more agents instead of just one.

This.

From my experience the requests and (mostly) form rejections came in within the first 2 weeks and it became silent and sporadic after that. :) Some writers send out a ton of queries in a short space of time and some send out in batches (say 5 or 10), tweaking the query as they go along if they get no takers. I secured representation using the former (riskier) strategy but it will vary from writer to writer. General consensus is that silence is the new 'No' so zero response=rejection :cry:

I signed up for the paid version of Query Tracker as it provided well needed info. I also signed up for Publisher's Marketplace for track records and who represents info etc. Agentquery.com is a great resource along with Preditors and Editors. Don't forget Google Books because agent names come up in the acknowledgments. Also google 'agent name/agency absolute write' to see what people say about the agent/agency on AW.

Wesley Kang

the Light of Dawn
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to you! Isn't querying grand? /Sarcasm

When I first came to AW, I thought that the forum titled "Query Letter Hell" was so strange. Now it makes absolute perfect sense. And it's not just the writing the query part, every part of querying has been hell (for me).

With all that said, I wish you the best! :)

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
I heard back from two agents over a year after querying, 15 months for a 'no thanks' and 13 months for a partial request.

toldyouso

Surly Temple
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
toldyousoandso.blogspot.com
Good luck with the querying! It sounds like you've gotten onto the query tracker goodness, so I hope it goes well. You do need to do more than one.

I've heard back relatively quick for most. Started querying in late July. Sent out 8. Got request for a partial with one, then a subsequent request to redraft and resubmit. Four rejections, one of which told me it needed polishing. Two I may never hear back from.

Last edited:

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Firstly, congrats on sending that first query.

Waiting time can be anything from a couple of minutes to....well, ever.

If you haven't heard anything in 3 months then you can drop them a nudge email.