Which have you read?

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I stumbled across this - the 20 most iconic book covers.

http://flavorwire.com/206111/the-20-most-iconic-book-covers-ever

It was fun to go through and be like "Read it, hated it, read it, wanna read it..."

I've read 10 of these books, remember and/or was influenced by 7 of those I remember, forgot the other 3 but know I read them, haven't read a couple because I don't like the author, put the others down to try and read... etc. And I am going to try and read Catcher in the Rye again, despite hating it in school. It's been a long time.

And I've changed a little since then.

What about you?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what happened, but I could not view past #8. Oddly, while I own or have read the first eight, I only am familiar with two of the covers.

More often, a bazillion reprints and somebody changes the cover. I've owned maybe a half-dozen copies of Catcher in the Rye but have never even seen that cover.

Pauline Nolet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
paulinenolet.com
I've read 14 of them and not one of the covers on the editions I read are the same as the ones shown there.

The site got a little weird for me too but hitting next instead of the numbers allowed me to go through all 20.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I've (only) read 9 of them, but I've studied more of them, if that makes any sense. I never have read some that I've read so much about, because the plot is spoiled now :) I really should read them, of course!

DeaK

Registered
Reaction score
13 for me. Most of them I read in high school, although just recently I picked up and read Rabbit, run by Updike. I have Rabbit at rest lying around, and am hunting for the intermediate ones.

On the road would be fun to reread – after I finished that, I went on to Ginsberg and Burroughs. My english teacher was worried about me – as he should have been :D

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Not a single one. :)

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I've read 18 out of the 20. It would have been all 20, except Atlas Shrugged bored me into a drooling stupor, and Rabbit, Run annoyed me so mightily I chewed the book into little hamster-style shreds.

I've seen all of them in the wild with those covers -- but I'm old, and I also haunt used bookstores.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I've read 13 of them, although, what with the drunkeness, sometimes I forget whether I read the book or saw the film. So lets just say 11 to be on the safe side.

Rabbit, Run annoyed me so mightily I chewed the book into little hamster-style shreds

Rabbit, Run is in my bookcase awaiting reading. After this anti-recommendation it has to be next up. :)

DeaK

Registered
Reaction score
... and Rabbit, Run annoyed me so mightily I chewed the book into little hamster-style shreds.

:ROFL:

I was tempted several times to introduce the book to the wall, but in the end I decided I would take the novel as an example that it is possible to have a hateable character as a protag. It'll be a while before I attempt anything to that level of contemptibility, though. (Apparently hateable is a word, according to my dictionary, but contemptibility is not, alas).

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I've read 10:

The Great Gatsby
A Clockwork Orange
Catcher in the Rye
The Godfather
Death of a Salesman
On the Road
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Lord of the Flies
Fahrenheit 451

And I'm currently reading The Grapes of Wrath.

Except for The Godfather, none of 'em had the "iconic" book cover featured on the list.

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Not a single one. :)

This surprises me.

I've read 18 out of the 20. It would have been all 20, except Atlas Shrugged bored me into a drooling stupor, and Rabbit, Run annoyed me so mightily I chewed the book into little hamster-style shreds.

This does not.

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I haz a disapoint.

NO! J/k! :) I feel the same way. I sometimes despair of how many books there are. And that I may not get to all of them.

haha! actually, some of those I've just read in the last year. I won't say how many years I have on you... I'm sure you'll get to some of them! :)

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score
Read a few of them. The woman on the Lolita cover looked pretty old. heh...

Someone once compared me to a character on Atlas Shrugged. Never read that one. Hopefully it's not about a serial killer...

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
book.gif

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I've only seen 3 of those covers. How can they be iconic in that case?

And I'll have to go back and see what the books were. I forgot to pay attention if I read them or not.

OK. I read 8 and attempted 2 others and intend to read another 3.