PA's Special Offers aka But I thought they wanted my book, not my money ...

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Alice, you're also assuming that most people do that research. If you read enough publication accounts from those who go with PA, you'll see that most don't. They're either led to PA by friends who have published with them or they do a quick Google search of "American Publishers", skipping the agent step (often not realizing it's important).

When they find that most publishers won't take submissions from writers, they're left with a list that's heavy on vanity publishers - most of whom require hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars up front. Then they get to PA, which says everything's free. That's often cited as the deciding factor to go with PA, as most of their customers haven't got the extra money to pay for anything upfront. They're hoping to make money off their book, and quickly, not pay for it. (There are numerous quotes in the old threads where a poster has mentioned fixed income, going without food, not paying their power bill, or similar situations because they hope buying their books/offers will pay off in the long run. I know there was at least one who was counting on their royalty check to pay their rent or mortgage.)

Not everyone has access to a computer at home, and if you're using a public terminal, then you're usually restricted to an hour. That's not enough time to do anything other than a quick search to make a list, and then a round of queries. Once the queries are sent, the turn around for PA is (usually) a matter of hours, maybe a day or two at most. This plays into the fantasy of being one of "those" authors who was snapped up right away because their book was so awesome. Digging deeper, or listening to the "haters" spoils that fantasy, and if the writer in question has already been rejected repeatedly by agents and/or publishers, that acceptance is a moment of perceived vindication. They don't want it to be false.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
The term "willfully ignorant" gets tossed around quite a bit here in the PA threads and it bothers me whenever I see it. I was a PA author and I was not "willfully ignorant." Naive, yes. Needing to learn more about publishing, yes. Unaware of PA's business model, yes. Uninformed about what questions to ask and what to look out for, yes. "Willfully ignorant," no.

I think the only time that 'willfully ignorant' can and should be used is when talking about those people who HAVE been informed and yet still refuse to see.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure there's a single factor at work here.

As others have pointed out, this is a case of knowing HOW to research as much as knowing WHAT to research.

And as Jim has pointed out many times, "we love your manuscript" is a powerful phrase.

One reason I (and probably many others here) blog about Yog's Law and how the publishing industry should work is the hope that someone considering a vanity press might pick up on it and at least consider other options before handing their money over.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Facebook Multi Priority 39.95
We will contact Amazon this week, the week before they ship those millions of brand-new Kindle Fires, and urge them
to look at your book and give it their sales pitch! When people start up their new Kindle Fire, we want them to see your book!

Go to www.publishamerica.net/AmazonHotFirst.html if you want your book to be among the very first that we'll promote with urgency
to Amazon this week.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
For the love of...

"Urge them" and "we'll promote with urgency" means absolutely nothing. Why in the world would Amazon place an unedited, overpriced PA book anywhere in their advertising? Gee, PA, do you REALLY think Amazon is just now pondering what books to promote with the Kindle Fire? Maybe that's how you do business, but Amazon plans far in advance.

PA lurkers, read what CatSlave posted again. What exactly is PA going to do for your book? All they are agreeing to do is tell Amazon about your book. Amazon already knows about your book. It's on their website. And, they also know how many copies of your book have sold (or haven't sold, as the case may be).

This is another "special offer" that gives you nothing and places your hard-earned money in PA's coffers.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I don't get what y'all are going on about. Why wouldn't the Monopoly Kingdom of Keeping E-Book Prices Artifically Low want to promote e-books by unknown authors that are priced in the $25-30 range?

/sarcasm

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
If my Kindle Fire shows up here with a PA book already ON it, I will send it back. I will write a scathing letter to Amazon and address it to Jeff Bezos personally.

No F-ing way.

I think you had better get your writing tablet out. I don't think Amazon is culling any bookprinter or publisher. At least one author on the PAMB claims to have a book on Amazon Kindle.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Oh I know that PA books are available at Amazon, but there better not be any already loaded onto the device, that's all I'm saying.

I can choose not to buy PA books. I will delete any PA books from the device unread, should any come pre-loaded. And then I will write that letter.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Another Special Offer where you pay PA to do the basics of a real publisher's job (promoting your book) without any indication that they will actually do it.

I'm glad they never went into the homebuilding business. NOW FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY: NAILS! JUST SEND US $19,999.95 AND WE WILL ACTUALLY USE NAILS IN THE CONSTRUCTION OF YOUR HOUSE!

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Another Special Offer where you pay PA to do the basics of a real publisher's job (promoting your book) without any indication that they will actually do it.

I'm glad they never went into the homebuilding business. NOW FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY: NAILS! JUST SEND US $19,999.95 AND WE WILL ACTUALLY USE NAILS IN THE CONSTRUCTION OF YOUR HOUSE!
Taped to the wood? Tape would be an extra charge, of course.