PA's Special Offers aka But I thought they wanted my book, not my money ...

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
M'kay, with so many eyes on PA's site these days, I've been keeping only half of one on it myself, so ... OMG, their "Book Store" page, which is obviously a compendium of all their Special Offers: http://www.publishamerica.net/online_bookstore.html

$69 for your book(s) on an USB drive?!

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Oh, but you get a *~~~*SPECIAL*~~~* USB drive with the PA logo on it!

Four of them.

72.99 w/shipping.

Hm. Walmart sells a 2GB drive for just 5.88 and it has better color options. You can get 12 for the PA price.

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
More evidence that "We want your book, not your money" is horse-poop

M'kay, with so many eyes on PA's site these days, I've been keeping only half of one on it myself, so ... OMG, their "Book Store" page, which is obviously a compendium of all their Special Offers: http://www.publishamerica.net/online_bookstore.html

$69 for your book(s) on an USB drive?!

Wow! Anyone who really believes that silly slogan, "We want your book, not your money," should view this page. (I think I'll put it on the PA page of my web site.) It's a quick summary of many of the ingenious ways PA has devised to try to get into the author's hip-pocket.

And did you notice that if your want your book rights "returned," the price is $149, but if you just want your book rights "reverted," the price is only $99. Huh?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's the difference between "reverting rights" and "returning rights" other than $50?

Folks, read the "Congratulations" product for $19.95. It took me a while to figure out what they were doing: if you buy 19 or more books, you get them for "50% off a price of $19.95" instead of the list price. Eh? Why not just say "for $9.98"? Why word it so wonky? However, it's listed as a product for $19.95 instead of whatever 19 books will cost. Incidentally, my dad tried to get an introductory rate for his next book from PA and they refused. It seems they don't even know what services they offer.

And what's a QR barcode (see smartCode product and smartCover)?

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
QR barcodes are those odd-looking square codes you see around more and more; unlike standard UPC type barcodes, which only contain a short string, QR codes are meant to hold longer strings. They can hold phone numbers, e-mail addresses, or -- most often -- URLs. Most smartphones have bar-code-scanner apps that can read them, so if you scan a QR code, you can bip to an associated website easily.

For instance, here is a QR code that contains a link to the Water Cooler here:

img.php

...if you scan that with a QR reader app on an iPhone or Android phone, it will say 'URL found!' and offer to bring you right to the Absolute Write forum. These sort of codes are often used in advertising (scan the code on the bus-station poster) or other printed things; the 'Google Places' stickers a store can get contain a QR code for that store's Places entry, so you can walk past a window, scan the code, and read reviews (or review it yourself).

Presumably what PA is offering is to create a QR code for the writer's website and stick it on the cover. Since there are plenty of free QR generators out there (like the one I used to generate the AWWC link above), and it takes all of 30 seconds to generate a QR code, charging for this seems a little ridiculous. (But, well... this is PA...)

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Alex! I figured that's what they meant, but your explanation of what it does is helpful. I can see how they'd be useful, and although getting one for cheap and easy is simple, getting PA to put one on your cover is something they'd charge for (of course).

Sepisllib

Truth, gentle or not!
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Anyone who really believes that silly slogan, "We want your book, not your money," should view this page. (I think I'll put it on the PA page of my web site.) It's a quick summary of many of the ingenious ways PA has devised to try to get into the author's hip-pocket.

And did you notice that if your want your book rights "returned," the price is $149, but if you just want your book rights "reverted," the price is only $99. Huh?

Might want some "expert" input on this one, however from my understanding the word "revert" means to return as in original condition and "return" means to just give it back - not mentioning condition......

Thoughts?

God Bless

Bill

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Might want some "expert" input on this one, however from my understanding the word "revert" means to return as in original condition and "return" means to just give it back - not mentioning condition......

Thoughts?

Functionally, I'm not sure there is a difference; it's not that PA keeps some rights under the $99 option that it doesn't keep under the $149 version. But there are more informed folks than I who can answer that better.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Or they simply screwed up with all their bogus offers and price changes.
I doubt anyone there knows the difference between "revert" and "return," or cares.

They just want your money.

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
Or they simply screwed up with all their bogus offers and price changes.
I doubt anyone there knows the difference between "revert" and "return," or cares.

They just want your money.

I think you are probably correct. If there's a difference, I don't know what it would be. And if you click on each, the explanations of what you are purchasing appear to be identical. PA made me the $99 offer some months back, and then recently extended the $149 offer, so I suspect they added the latter to the bookstore page and forgot to remove the former.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
What's the difference between "reverting rights" and "returning rights" other than $50?

Folks, read the "Congratulations" product for $19.95. It took me a while to figure out what they were doing: if you buy 19 or more books, you get them for "50% off a price of $19.95" instead of the list price. Eh? Why not just say "for $9.98"? Why word it so wonky? However, it's listed as a product for $19.95 instead of whatever 19 books will cost. Incidentally, my dad tried to get an introductory rate for his next book from PA and they refused. It seems they don't even know what services they offer.

And what's a QR barcode (see smartCode product and smartCover)?

This is easy to understand if you think like PA. First, you want to sell the authors books before they realize their books are overpriced. So, here is the plan.

First, offer the book to the author while he is still reeling form actually getting an offer. Second, get the check before they realize they were scammed. Third, and most important, sell the books without tell the author what the real price of the book will be. Offer it at 19.95 instead of the 30 bucks coming later.

Good work if you can get it.

Allen

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
This is easy to understand if you think like PA. First, you want to sell the authors books before they realize their books are overpriced. So, here is the plan.

First, offer the book to the author while he is still reeling form actually getting an offer. Second, get the check before they realize they were scammed. Third, and most important, sell the books without tell the author what the real price of the book will be. Offer it at 19.95 instead of the 30 bucks coming later.

Good work if you can get it.

Allen

Like any good con artist, PA tries to get your money before you realize you've been scammed. PA started sending me their infamous "books on hand" solicitation emails about six weeks after "accepting" my book for publication, and nearly four months before my book was "released"--and thus, well before I had seen my book in print. Fortunately, I was already wise to them by then, thanks in no small part to web sites such as this one. So they never got any of my money.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Bottom of the page are the newest offers.

http://www.publishamerica.net/online_bookstore.html

The bookstore has added the Library of Scotland to the scam offers at the bottom of the page, in addition to:

Only 49.00, convert your book to an e-book

Also note that PA has just lowered the e-book price to 7.95.
It must be a coincidence, hmmm?

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
thrEbook by
We will convert your book to all three formats at a deep discount. Your e-book's retail price will be $7.95, indefinitely.

If you only want a conversion to Amazon's Kindle, go to www.publishamerica.net/OneOnly.html, for $49. If instead you want the conversion done to Barnes and Noble's Nook, or to a Google e-book, say so in the Ordering Instructions box. Without such indication we will assume you want a Kindle conversion.

We convert books to e-books fast. If there's a delay, it's because it may take Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Google a while to process new e-book uploads, though generally a new e-book will show up within a few weeks or sooner.

Must select a shipping option to activate. No use of coupons allowed. Mention your book title.

ISBN: thrEbook, ,

Buy $79.00

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
Hmm. If PA were to send a book to my county library, it would go straight to the library's book sale, where it would be marked for 50 cents. Wonder if the Library of Scotland does something similar?

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
For 39.00 your book will not be read at the Library of Scotland either.

*I did not catch the earlier price reduction of hardback books.*

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
"indefinitely" In other words, they can raise the price any time they want.

I had a novella published in July by a very small press. It took less than a week for it to show as available on Amazon, and I didn't pay the publisher anything to get it in ebook format.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.publishamerica.net/online_bookstore.html

Translation 199.00
3 Translations 499.00

Talent, your own publicist in Europe 29.00

"...we will include your book in a very special
full-color" presentation that we'll hand out to anyone at the Munich convention who will give us any time between five seconds and an hour!"

and several Talent variations for 39.00, 69.00 and 79.00

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
What else at that price?

Of course there's no reason to believe they're telling the truth about that any more than about handing books and fan mail over JKR.

I'm having doubts that any of their writers even took them up on that daft scheme.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
WHAT? The...

What are they doing with these, running them through a computer translation program?

One of the disillusioned PA authors paid for her book to be translated into Arabic. I imagine PA would have run it through Babelfish, if they bothered doing anything at all for her money.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Lookout janitors, concession stand workers, parking lot attendants, etc. You are about to have a PA representative hand you a full-color press release and talk your ear off for "five seconds or an hour" about how wonderful PA is.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm picturing someone walking around Munich wearing a sandwich-board, handing out flyers.

Willem in lederhosen....
*Shudder*