The Decemberists: The King is Dead

Bluetrane

Clever is good, good is better.
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished listening to the new album from top to bottom. What an amazing record. It reads like a classic novel, but rocks and sways with all the jangling shimmer and grit of rootsy Americana. It's a rare thing to find such a literate songwriter who does not lose sight of what actually makes a song: the melody. If you've never checked this band out, you must:

http://decemberists.com/

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
I love The Decemberists! I must admit, The King Is Dead isn't my favorite of their albums (though it is the most tuneful and hummable, no doubt, and there's a lot to be said for that), but I do enjoy it quite a bit. Their sound has become more polished over the years while still retaining a lot of their earlier grit. Also, I appreciate how their lyrics have helped me build my vocabulary over the years.

Hey, I see you're in Atlanta, too! Are you going to see Colin Meloy speak at the Decatur Book Festival tonight? I'm really excited about it.

Bluetrane

Clever is good, good is better.
Registered
Reaction score
Harper, what time does that start? I would be curious to check it out, but I would have to shift some things around.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
They seem like a cool band. So far, I love "Down By the Water" and "This Is Why We Fight". Some good music, alright.

theresaeileen

Registered
Reaction score
I love The Decemberists! I don't have a favorite album in particular, but my favorite song of theirs is "Here I Dreamt I was An Architect" from Castaways And Cutouts. I haven't heard the new album but I really want to.