Publishing Erotic Short Stories?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'm actively aiming at anthologies in various genres, to bolster my publishing credits to the agents and editors I'm querying. I'm picky, too. The anthology may not pay much, but it needs some pedigree before I'll send anything.

In the case of the Cleis KINGDOMS OF DESIRE erotic fantasy anthology, inclusion there can only help me flog my bigger mms to several sympathetic agents and six great e-publishers.

I am planning ahead though, and writing a group of linked short stories with the idea of an eventual self-published or e-published anthology relating to my longer fantasy and science fiction erotic romances. Lynn Flewelling did this with her anthology GLIMPSES, based in her 'Nightrunner' universe, and has done fairly well in reviews and sales.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm actively aiming at anthologies in various genres, to bolster my publishing credits to the agents and editors I'm querying. I'm picky, too. The anthology may not pay much, but it needs some pedigree before I'll send anything.

In the case of the Cleis KINGDOMS OF DESIRE erotic fantasy anthology, inclusion there can only help me flog my bigger mms to several sympathetic agents and six great e-publishers.

I am planning ahead though, and writing a group of linked short stories with the idea of an eventual self-published or e-published anthology relating to my longer fantasy and science fiction erotic romances. Lynn Flewelling did this with her anthology GLIMPSES, based in her 'Nightrunner' universe, and has done fairly well in reviews and sales.

This is kind of what I'm working toward. A sequence of short stories linked by theme and forming a larger story within an anthology.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
They're fun, but an extremely hard sell in spec genres unless you have other writing credits such as standalone or series novels. Think of them as writing experience now, and a publicity stunt for later. Most publishers and agents won't look at entire anthologies written by a single unknown writer.

darkestdesires

Registered
Reaction score
New member here. Finding this discussion to be very informative.

I author stories of varying length, and used to post them on Usenet. I am interested in publishing work in ebook format, but am just starting to explore my options.

One question which I have... Some of my stories feature darker themes such as nonconsensual, blackmail, torment/torture. I'm wondering if some of the sites would reject my works due to such themes? Amazon was one which I looked at, but their policies are somewhat vague. Others say "no depictions of illegal acts", but this is ambiguous as well, as even consensual sex in a parked car our a public park is usually unlawful!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Amazon appears to be leaving the door open for it to delete without warning anything it's getting enough complaints about. Right now, they seem to be engaged in a war on incest, but who knows what'll be ruffling their feathers next month, or next year.

You may very well find a fair number of e-publishers draw the line at rape or coerced sex and at torment or torture written to arouse the reader. As plot elements, they'd be okay, but it's a rare publisher who's okay with eroticizing violence.

Maryn, pleased to meet you

Anjasa

Fantasy Smut? Yes please!
Registered
Reaction score
No more sheep icon?

And yea, Amazons rules state 'no offensive stuff. As for what constitutes offensive, that should be obvious."

Which, of course, it's not since morals differ from person to person. A terrible system, that.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Terrible for the author--but excellent for Amazon. Why am I not surprised?

As to the missing sheep avatar... I loved it, but grew tired of it. (I wonder if my husband of many years worries?) It will no doubt be back one day, though.

Maryn, who used to change avatars every few weeks

sailor

still new
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can I find some current anthology calls? I haven't really seen any on Dutrope I don't think. Would the "Paying Markets" section be the best place to look?

Try ERWA, they have a list of erotic anthology calls. Just check out the publisher as well, through the 'Bewares' section here before submitting anything. I posted a link to a call a short time ago and found out the publisher was less than reputable.