Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: America and Britain may be losing their rights, but at least other countries aren't. Right? Right?..

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    This is a school where they staff are expected to keep minors safe. I think that is a bit different from the government installing a camera in your living room. I think it has more to with drug use and bullying being taken more seriously than in previous years.

Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    This is a school where they staff are expected to keep minors safe. I think that is a bit different from the government installing a camera in your living room. I think it has more to with drug use and bullying being taken more seriously than in previous years.
    What's the root cause? Why are those things on the increase? How do we stop that? It's not going to be stopped by cameras in the bathrooms.

This is a bandaid solution, and a poor one at that.
    I wrote a blog.
    Between a good and a bad economist this constitutes the whole difference - the one takes account of the visible effect;
    the other takes account both of the effects which are seen, and also of those which it is necessary to foresee. ~Frederic Bastiat
    Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
    The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
    The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
    If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
    ~ Medievalist

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    What's the root cause? Why are those things on the increase? How do we stop that? It's not going to be stopped by cameras in the bathrooms.

This is a bandaid solution, and a poor one at that.
    Don, how is it you know this is not going to help the problem? I think it probably would be a big help. It would be easier to catch and identify kids who were doing it. Why is this sort of thing happening in the bathroom anyway? Probably because the staff isnt there. When I was in school, kids were destroying the bathroom facility, too, and it was a huge problem, because no one knew who was doing it, and everyone felt they were being blamed. We had a school assembly about it, and it was never really resolved.

As for the root cause...why do kids use drugs? Why do kids bully each other? They didn't have a simple answer to those questions when my parents were in school, either. While they're trying to figure that out, they need to do something about the problem itself.
    Last edited by Celia Cyanide; 08-31-2011 at 06:15 PM.
    My feature film WHY AM I IN A BOX? is now online! I wrote, directed, and acted in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes, now on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyani...shop-info-name

practical experience, FTW Kathleen_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post
    Well, I think the whole school power inequity system is...troubling, if only because it teaches kids to follow a hierarchy from the get go and it takes a LONG time to get rid of that notion...

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Stuff/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

In my culture we are BORN into a hierarchy and I've never thought it was a notion that could be gotten rid of while maintaining a feasible society.

The school isn't the parents of these children, most of them have their own parent/s/caregiver/s at home. A college gets kids when they're about 13 or so and you can't expect the teachers to 'fix' all the kids. Yeah, they might be allowed to expel them (if they know who they are and have proof beyond he said/she said) but there comes a point where we have to stop blaming schools for how children have been raised. So many other factors go into it. Yes, a teacher can do amazing things and have a HUGE influience but they can't do everything. The root cause of this behaviour probably isn't in the school, it will be in the home and community at large.

As for those saying it won't make a difference, the article says it made a difference at Naenae College so why not at Wainuiomata? Are the two colleges so different?

Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C AW Moderator Zoombie's Avatar
    Oh, there are loads of non-hierarchical systems of governance that we've never tried because they've been labeled untenable.

Usually by those who are in power in the hierarchical systems.
    2068 Series: On Hiatus!
    Shard Series: On Hiatus

Untitled Furry Thing: 65k/XXXk

The Bracewell Parable: Done!

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!

practical experience, FTW Kathleen_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post
    Oh, there are loads of non-hierarchical systems of governance that we've never tried because they've been labeled untenable.

Usually by those who are in power in the hierarchical systems.
    I'm not just talking of governance, I'm talking about life in general.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123