NaNoWriMo 2011

Kai

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in, although I'm cheating a little since this will be my eighth NaNo and the process doesn't bring as much growth as it used to. Instead of a full novel, I'll be doing 2k short stories daily. I've always been rubbish at short stories, so I'm hoping to learn and improve. :)

FurryNovelist88

Awwwww YEAH
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah definitely will be participating. Tried once and failed :( Hopefully I'll win this time for the GIPPAH!

tlbodine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tlbodine.blogspot.com
This will be my 3rd Nano experience. The first year I got 50k but didn't finish the book...the second year I got 50k and DID finish, although it's got a loooong way to go to be useable in any way lol.

This year I'm going to re-vamp an old project. I had an amazing wave of inspiration one day that every single plot problem my novel was having could be solved with the addition of zombies.

Seemed like the sort of problem that should be approached in Nano ;)

Eskimo1990

is here :)
Registered
Reaction score
Is it cheating to use an already started story if I don't count the stuff I already wrote in my word count of 50k?
I really want to do Nano this year but I'm a tad short on ideas recently and I really really want to finish this story....

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Technically it's against the rules to do that. But you know what? I think NaNo is just a beautiful excuse to force yourself to get over the hump, to learn new things, to WRITE.

So go for it, I say. I mean, would you rather ignore one little rule for a competition that doesn't have a prize, or would you rather put off working your butt off on that already-started-want-to-finish novel for another month or more?

I know what I'd choose.

(This pep talk has been paid for by the People For People organisation. ;))

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I am signing up again. Elventy-billionth year signing up, no year successful.

I am starting my WIP over, which coincidentally is last years NaNo. It needs a different perspective and voice among other things, so it's getting scrapped completely.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I thought after last year I was done with NaNo, but apparently not.

Looks like I'll be at it again, which is a pretty good reason to de-lurk here from time to time :D

everythinginblak

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Will be doing Nano this year-it's been awhile since my last attempt which was back in 2009 and I was a new mom and just didnt have the time. Now two kids and one on the way later lol I have nothing but time and this time I have a laptop so now I can just camp out at the library, which thankfully stays open until eight o'clock pm monday-thursday so i can write for a few hours.

I haven't done nano though since I was sixteen-seventeen and I'm twenty one now so I reckon it's time to start again. On top of that, my life has been so crazy with marriage and kids the only thing I manage to write nowadays is poetry. So getting back into fiction would be nice. I miss the adventures that played out in my head as I wrote about my characters and their crazy lives lol.

Anybody got NaNo buddies this year? I had a few when I first started and it was awesome! It was our own little support group. Would be nice to do that again :)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it cheating to use an already started story if I don't count the stuff I already wrote in my word count of 50k?
I really want to do Nano this year but I'm a tad short on ideas recently and I really really want to finish this story....

Technically it's against the rules to do that. But you know what? I think NaNo is just a beautiful excuse to force yourself to get over the hump, to learn new things, to WRITE.

So go for it, I say. I mean, would you rather ignore one little rule for a competition that doesn't have a prize, or would you rather put off working your butt off on that already-started-want-to-finish novel for another month or more?

I know what I'd choose.

(This pep talk has been paid for by the People For People organisation. ;))
Plenty of the NaNo rebels do just that, so you aren't alone.

lostwanderer5

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely! I started NaNoing in 2009, and have won both in 2009 and 2010. Now, I just need to finish my current project, so I can get started with the new one in November :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I ever came back and reported my plan for NaNo. I'm pretty excited. I'm going to do a series of kids books (I haven't figured out if they'll be chapter books or low middle grade) using characters I once wrote a YA for. My sister suggested that I write kid books for them, and the idea stuck.

So the premise is that Bex is a girl who tries so very hard to be good for her minister father, and then one day she finds Trouble in her backyard. Literally. Trouble is the spirit of trouble (in training) and he has to practice on the only human who can see him, which turns out to be Bex. They do eventually become friends, but he's also very annoying to be around since he causes so many problems, and Bex gets blamed for all the trouble he causes. What's fun about doing a kid's book for them is that you always have to wonder if he's imaginary or not, whereas in the YA, Bex nips the "imaginary friend" theory in the bud right away.

When writing the YA, I was torn between giving it a more fantasy-oriented plot (Bex's life is in danger, they go to Trouble's world, etc.) or to have a more contemporary plot (Bex goes through normal high school problems, only she has Trouble around to complicate them), and I went for fantasy because I knew I couldn't sustain a YA plot with the contemporary version. It would have become too episodic, which doesn't really work for YA. But in CB and low MG, episodic is totally okay, and I am confident I can do "the adventures of Bex and Trouble" in the real world.

So, yeah, that's my plan. Every NaNo I do something I've never done before, and for a while, I was just going to give in to the fact that I would break that streak this year. But I've certainly never written for this young an age before, so I'm happy to say I'll be continuing that tradition :D

MadSquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
meganayscue.blogspot.com
If I can figure out which of my outlines I want to pursue, I'm definitely in! In between writing job applications, it shouldn't be that hard compared to last year when I was writing my Masters thesis on Chinese foreign policy.

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stainedglassinthenight.wordpress.com
This year will be my second Nano and I'm still debating on what to write. There are several ideas bouncing around in my head right now, its just a matter of which one is 'the one.' :D

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
This will be my third or fourth NaNo (obviously I've never won, or I would know which ;) ). I'm staring at a stack of empty index cards, trying to figure out what genre I want to try this year...

I just know it won't have vampires, werewolves, or zombies. Unless it does, of course. It's pretty much impossible to tell where my NaNo efforts will lead. The outline is just a general idea :D.

Last edited:

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
If I can figure out which of my outlines I want to pursue, I'm definitely in! In between writing job applications, it shouldn't be that hard compared to last year when I was writing my Masters thesis on Chinese foreign policy.
:eek:

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to do Nano this year. I've never done it before because for a long time writing 50k in a month would've meant a reduction in my productivity. But I've had a long string of personal issues this year which have reduced my productivity to, well, zero. So now it would be a huge improvement.

I'm probably going to be a rebel with it, though. I want to write as much of the project I'm focusing on before Nano starts as I can, so that hopefully the 50k will complete the novel. Now, I should really go finish my outline...

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure what I'm going to do for NaNo. I can do 50K of the existing WIP, but it's moving pretty well on its own, so I don't know whether to get one of the ideas I've been procrastinating with and do that. Or something completely different. I enjoyed it last year though.

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
he has to practice on the only human who can see him, which turns out to be Bex. They do eventually become friends, but he's also very annoying to be around since he causes so many problems, and Bex gets blamed for all the trouble he causes. What's fun about doing a kid's book for them is that you always have to wonder if he's imaginary or not, whereas in the YA, Bex nips the "imaginary friend" theory in the bud right away.

Reminds me of the movie Drop Dead Fred...which my sister and I loved-must have seen it 20 times. Sounds like a blast to write. Best of luck!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Reminds me of the movie Drop Dead Fred...which my sister and I loved-must have seen it 20 times. Sounds like a blast to write. Best of luck!
LOL, when I first described the original to my writer's group, they compared it to DDF too.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
I'm definitely in--have attempted it every year since hearing about it.

This will be my 6th NNWM and I've "won" 3 out of the 5 previous times.
Only 1 of those 3 went through revisions and is complete today (and gets shopped to agents), so I'm not sure starting something new is a good idea with at least 2 viable projects sitting there, waiting for some TLC--but I will anyway! :)

Feral_Sophisticate

Warming maid's buttocks since 1989.
Registered
Reaction score
Meadowvale, Ontario, Canada, Earth, The Sol System
Website
fetlife.com
Last year's effort was derailed by real life drama (my ex-wife and I separated in October - taking on NaNo was a means for me to keep my mind occupied, and it didn't work quite as well as I wanted it to).

This year, however, I'm stoked. I've been working on plot and character development for the past few months in preparation for NaNo. I don't know if I'll finish, but I'll sure as hell try. :)

I'm considering this years' NaNo to be a diary format of the MC. It might make it easier to write it on a day to day basis that way. Has anyone else tried that approach, and care to share your experience with it?

Elise-K-Ra'sha

Driving myself crazy with writing
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be attempting to participate in NaNo this year. Last year bombed for me due to circumstances both in my control and out of my control. I already have the title for my novel figured out and what I'll be writing. I probably should write a loose outline for it just to be sure I get the basics of the story I want to tell down. I do tend to forget some details but I also tend to remember the details as well. ^_^

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
Apparently, I'm doing an entirely new project for NaNo. Wasn't exactly expecting that, but... meh.

I'm not letting myself think about it. If I can't write it, I'm not going to overthink it and kill my enthusiasm for the project like the older project I'd planned to do originally. No thinking. Also, no figuring out the magic. I will iron out the details of the magic after I've written the stupid thing. Yes, this means more work on rewrites, but I'm hoping I'll be able to keep up with the interest this way.

Crossin' mah fingers...