NaNoWriMo 2011

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all. I appreciate the encouragement here (and in reps). I'm back up to almost 3k after rebooting the beginning and the tone feels better to my eyes as I read it. I'm not sure if I'll add that to the 7k I deleted.

I know we're not supposed to edit so much but it is sooo hard not to do that. I tweek my stuff to death anyway. But I'm on a roll now so I'll try and stick with it. Man, this month is going by fast. lol.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Not a bad night. I got 3431. I've also figured out the weird difference between Scrivener and NaNo word counts - I've put in 28 chapters but have only written up to 11. There are a lot of "Chapter" headings, which count toward word count. :)

I still think this book looks like its going to be a doorstopper... oh man....

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
I know mine is, planning on an epic, and it is going to be an epic of epic proportions, but I am having a heck of a good time writing it. Can always use it as an extra pylon under the house or something. Added another 3k today. Bed calls, I am fried.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
3055 for me today, and man I'm still behind. I'm still not ready to throw in the towel. According to my stats if I do about 2,250 a day from now on I can still finish. Wow. Not sure but I'm going to try.

If I ever did anything with this I would have to lop the first couple chapters as part of the old "starting the story to far back." :)

I did it in 2009 but my life is a lot more complicated now. The best thing about NaNo this time for me really is the experiment in discipline -- for myself as well as retraining my family to give me a little time to myself so I can write every day.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
HistorySleuth, last year I won NaNo after losing several days to a nasty case of stomach flu. In the last couple of days of the month, I managed to write about 8,000 words.

We're only at the halfway point. Don't give up. There's a lot that can happen between now and November 30.

:e2cheer:

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
Yesterday, I wrote 3.6k. Which totally fried my brain.

I've officially broken 20k (yesterday I ended with 22,010, so I was only 3k behind, which means I am fast catching up, which makes me really happy. :D). What's more, yesterday was officially the single most I've ever written in a single day. Ever.

It was really, really draining, though. I'd love to be able to write 5k a day, but man, I hit 2k and I just tend to crash. :( Maybe that's a sign I need to give my characters more downtime between intense scenes... hrm.

And, today's my birthday. :D And there's a write-in. Which I'm super psyched for, because I'm not nearly so behind now. And I have some scenes that need to be written, so I'm not going to be flailing blind today, hopefully.

But I really need to do some worldbuilding, I think. Stuff just keeps popping up and I'm like, Where the crap did *that* come from??? O.O

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
That's true TheIT, my cup is still half full. :)

Thanks! :e2flowers
It seems to work better family wise if I take 30 minute blocks here and there. So hopefully I can get a word war in later. I do have my writer's group tonight so Ill probably write there instead of working out of the MFA book with the others.

orion_mk3

Ne Cede Malis
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone else seen their productivity take a massive hit while the word count updates and statistics are all janked up after the last site update?

I could barely make it to 1667 after averaging 2500-3000 when I saw that my stats were frozen, and the problem is still going on. It's going to wind up looking like a lot of people were sitting on their hands.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone else seen their productivity take a massive hit while the word count updates and statistics are all janked up after the last site update?

I could barely make it to 1667 after averaging 2500-3000 when I saw that my stats were frozen, and the problem is still going on. It's going to wind up looking like a lot of people were sitting on their hands.

Not sure what you're talking about. The word counter on the official NaNoWriMo website? I don't use their word counter until the end when I'm ready to submit a version for a final count.

orion_mk3

Ne Cede Malis
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure what you're talking about. The word counter on the official NaNoWriMo website? I don't use their word counter until the end when I'm ready to submit a version for a final count.
That would be why you hadn't noticed. Their site update last night broke the daily word count calculator, graphs and basically everything else except your overall word count.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
That would be why you hadn't noticed. Their site update last night broke the daily word count calculator, graphs and basically everything else except your overall word count.

Everything seems to be working now except for the one widget that shows how badly or how well you're doing each day. Every square on mine is red... Ack!

But my graph is right, and that's mainly what I've been using to guage my progress.

And @ SRHowen:

Bad SR!

Git writing, and quit feeding the trolls. Someone else will do that job, never you fear. (Or maybe you should fear--how many times must I tell people that if you don't feed the wildlife, it won't get out of hand?)

orion_mk3

Ne Cede Malis
Registered
Reaction score
Everything seems to be working now except for the one widget that shows how badly or how well you're doing each day. Every square on mine is red... Ack!

Yikes, I didn't even notice that! All my beautiful lime green days, gone...

Anyway, the problems are still there, at least for me. It seems that the first update of the day works fine, but after that your stats are frozen. It doesn't affect overall wordcount or the buddy/chat bars, but my stats page refuses to budge from where it was this morning.

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I was having problems too last night with the NaNo site, and a few minutes ago actually. Couldn't even log on.

OK I'm still behind by 10k BUT I did get 4,826 words added today so I'm happy with that.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still amused that I can tell how well the writing was going by how neat the handwriting in my notebook is. Not a good sign that today's pages so far are extremely legible! (In other words, about halfway to daily goal.)

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I wasted the morning on another thread with a troll. UGH why do I get caught up in these things?

and I just had to go traipsing after you and throw myself in. :)

Waaaah! I got a tickle/thickness at the back of my throat. I'm tired. It's Wednesday.

Idonwannawrite.....

someone kick my whiney ass please.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca

Mine, too :cry:

One of my NaNo goals is to have the calendar all green by the end of the month. I've never pulled it off. Either my writing schedule is erratic, or the site has issues that loses a day or two. Though this is the first time I've seen the entire month reset!

Oh well. I guess that's another reason to keep trying :)

GreenEpic

...because you don't know yourself
Registered
Reaction score
I just cannot believe how far I've come. I never thought I'd make it past 15k. I was so sure I would get overwhelmed or run out of ideas, but I'm amped up.

Some days are a struggle, but some days it just comes pouring out.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
If people in my household would stop getting sick I'd be done with this crap. But, alas, I haven't even broken 10k yet. I should today, but we shall see. I foresee the next few days as being crazy with writing and stuff. Blah.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I've pretty much given up any hope of finishing this one, which sucks because I really wanted to win this year. Alas, catch up and get ahead week turned into funeral week and it all really sucks.