NaNoWriMo 2011

TLPhillps

Registered
Reaction score
Well everyone NaNoWriMo 2011 is just around the corner hope everyone is ready! I know I am! It's time to start stocking up on the essentials, Coffee, sugar, cream, lots of sugary snacks, and a giant do not disturb sign for my office door.

November 1st is just around the corner and for those participating this year I have only one thing to say: Let's see an AW writer bring it home this year! Who's with me?

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
I'm sort of hoping to do NaNoWriMo this year - I haven't done it with a shiny new project since 2007 :(

I'd like to do a quick'n'dirty draft of book 3 in my trilogy before I finish book 2, to make it easier to tie them together. However doing this in November possibly depends on how far I get with book 2 in the meantime! If I get really, really stuck with book 2, I may use NaNoWriMo to give me the final push, although that probably will mean less than 50k.

We'll see...

toldyouso

Surly Temple
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
toldyousoandso.blogspot.com
I've never signed up before, but I'm sorely tempted to this time. Sounds like the right kind of crazy to shake things up. I'm in the middle of a WIP but the first draft may be done in time for me to jump into NaNo for an insane kind of holiday...

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't done NaNo in a couple of years now. Doesn't appeal any more, or so I say at this point. Might join in. We'll see. :p :)

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
2010 was my first NaNoWriMo. I "won," ending up with a 52,000K first draft. (Much to my surprise, when I submitted my novel, the word count ended up being about 1,500 words short, so I had to add a bit at the end.)

I don't know if I'll actually write a new one this year, but I'd really like to finish mine from last year and add another 20K. I haven't had a chance to get back to it -- the draft is sitting there -- but it's something I definitely plan on finishing.

Btw, it was a great experience, albeit a bit crazy. (I'm a little afraid to go back and read it now.)

MissAimee

A wannabe writer who lives in a land of confusion
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing it this year, even if I don't finish, it would be a great way to actually get in the habit of writing.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure I'll do something in November. Not sure if it'll be a 50k-effort though...

If I'm going to devote a month to writing (working around other commitments) then I should really try to finish a couple of things that are still only half-done - not start something new.

We'll see...

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Noo, November can't be that close already!

(but of course I'm in...)

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Hell to the yeah.

Now that I've got my writing mojo back, I'm going all NaNo all the TIME!

Of course, we have nano's every month, but the full on real nano adds some spark for some reason. Maybe it's the energy from a bazillion hopefuls, all cracking open a new page on a new novel at the very same time.

I've got a lot to do before Nov 1st, tho, so not getting too excited yet.

Aquarius

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
My first two 'novels' (I say this because while there was a beginning, middle, and ending, some of those plot holes I came up with, one could drive a truck through) from a trilogy came out of scribbling like a crazy woman during Nano so of course, I'm doing it again. :D

Last year, I, technically wasn't considered a winner because I went into as a Nano Rebel. I'm kinda of considering doing the same this year.

One thing I'm probably not going to do...

Drink my way (mostly wine coolers with the occasional beer) through it. While it did a beautiful job at shutting up my inner editor and while I did get some perfectly legible stuff down, for a while after nano, I couldn't write AT ALL without it.

*shudders*

R.S. Dean

Not as crazy as she seems
Registered
Reaction score
I'm definitely going to give it a shot. I didn't make the count last year, but things are infinitely less busy/stressful now. :D

ebennet68

Avoids editing by procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
Last year was my first Nano which I "won" with a word count of 56K. I think I'll try it again this year but I'm a little nervous to tell the truth as I've had a long struggle with my inner editor this year. I'm going to have to lock her up and throw away the key if I'm going to succeed!

Kathleen_

Registered
Reaction score
Last year I used Nano tocrack out the first 50K of a draft. This year I may be a Nano rebel and crack out the last 50K of another draft, but we'll see. It depends on how much time I have in the lead up to write the first part of the draft! I write to a strick outline and spend just as much time getting that perfect as I do cracking out the first draft and I've only just started the outlining. Plus I am job hunting...

FabricatedParadise

Can be bribed with circus peanuts
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to wave the newb flag here and ask:

1) Where can I find details about NaNoWriMo? I have a rough idea of what it is and have seen it mentioned, but would like to see something in depth. It sounds like ... well I was going to say fun, but really it sounds like a lot of hard writing. I want in!

2) what is steampunk?

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com

FabricatedParadise

Registered
Reaction score

FabricatedParadise

Registered
Reaction score
It does seem like fun, and I'm going to sign up. I'm not sure how productive I'll be though. I'm a compulsive editor. For instance, I'm on Ch 12 of my WIP and I've already had 7 drafts. I tend to write a chapter, edit everything I've written to date, write another chapter, edit everything, so on and so forth. I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to bury my compulsion to edit for an entire month. We'll see how it goes!

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
You could try to write the "nanowrimoway" for just one book (ie: 1666 a day every day, no editing no looking back or re-reading), see if you can do it? I'm thinking about coming up with some other challenge for myself.... like instead of 2k a day go 3k a day for a month.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
NaNo seems too close, just having finished Camp NaNo.

Unfortunately, I used my planned NaNo novel for Camp NaNo/Three-day Novel, so I don't know what to do for NaNo. All I know is I don't want another November of putting down words for the sake of words, so hopefully inspiration will strike and will stick with me.

FabricatedParadise

Registered
Reaction score
NaNo seems too close, just having finished Camp NaNo.

Unfortunately, I used my planned NaNo novel for Camp NaNo/Three-day Novel, so I don't know what to do for NaNo. All I know is I don't want another November of putting down words for the sake of words, so hopefully inspiration will strike and will stick with me.

What's your genre of choice?

I'm planning to just open my notebook of ideas to a random page and writing that for NaNoWriMo