• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Teague Publishing

Nikki_Blaise

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the answer to this will be a resounding "No!", but has anyone heard of or is anyone published with Teague Publishing?

They sent me a DM on Twitter, saying "Nikki, we've seen that you have released two books and we like your writing style on your blog. We'd love the chance to work with you!"

I checked out their website: http://www.teaguepublishing.com/

And they seem to be very small and only do ebooks.

My first response is to say "Thanks, but no thanks." I'm looking for print-publishing, not e-publishing, although I'd settle for e-publishing if I got an advance rather than a minuscule percentage of what will probably be very low sales, which is what I suspect will happen.

But, there is a remote chance that I could be wrong, which is why I'm asking on here, just to see.

I have sent a response just saying "What did you have in mind?" just to test the waters, although I suspect I will be disappointed.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Two of the authors have the last name of Teague, and one of the founders is also an author. Looks like the publish short stories. Ask them about payment and distribution. How do they get material into the hands of readers?

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Teague Publishing is a small indie publishing company based out of Chicago, Illinois. We specialize in publishing short-stories in electronic format, but we are more interested in doing what we can to help writers achieve their dreams. Traditional publishers reject far too many authors and construct a large obstacle that can be difficult to overcome. That is where Teague Publishing is different, as we know how important it is to have someone believe in your work.
(bolding mine)

If your dream is to be able to say "I'm published" go for it. If your dream is to actually make money... not likely.

Might want to also ask them what publishing experience they have. And being published doesn't count as experience as a publisher.

Oh, and if you do bother to ask more questions... see if you can get them to tell you what this great mysterious obstacle is.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
From their About Us page:
Teague Publishing is a small indie publishing company based out of Chicago, Illinois; founded by a couple IT professionals who discovered through their own endeavors that getting a book published is a much more painful process than it should be.
Traditional publishers reject far too many authors and construct a large obstacle that can be difficult to overcome. That is where Teague Publishing is different, as we know how important it is to have someone believe in your work. We firmly believe in building a strong relationship with our authors.
Not quite sure how two software engineers play into knowing how the publishing industry works, so this is something to consider. Additionally, they fall back on that old and moldy "traditional publishers are poo-poo heads." Commercial presses believe in their authors and establish strong relationships with them all the time. This reasoning is hardly the litmus for excellence, so I'm thinking they're very new and know very little.

Nikki_Blaise

Registered
Reaction score
Well, they responded, saying they wanted a writer with more of an edge. I decided to go for the bold approach and just asked how much they would pay me. Nothing like being direct.

But I suspect it'll be a very small percentage.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hasn't published anything since '12, but given sporadic media activity over the year, I won't count it out quite yet.

ETA: Site gone; media activity ceased '13.

Last edited: