FAQ: How do I delete my account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
1. How do I delete my account?

You can't delete your account. We do not delete accounts on Absolute Write.

2. Who do I talk to about deleting my account?

Doesn't matter who you talk to; the policy is that we do not delete accounts.

3. Why don't you delete accounts?

It's bad for the integrity of the community as a whole, and for the conversation within individual threads to suddenly have posts disappear.

Keep in mind that even were your posts to disappear, those of people responding to you, many of whom will quote your posts, will still be present.

It's extremely hard on the database and the server to delete accounts. It's also bad IT policy to destroy data.

Writers should take their words seriously, always. Don't post it if you're not writing hard, and writing true.

4. Well what recourse do I have if I want to delete my account?

You can edit your own posts, one by one, as long as they're not in locked threads. We're not going to help you do that either. And if you engage in a mass deletion spree, your account may be locked automaticallly by the software for security reasons. Slow and steady should be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
<snip>

It's bad for the integrity of the community as a whole, and for the conversation within individual threads to suddenly have posts disappear.

Keep in mind that even were your posts to disappear, those of people responding to you, many of whom will quote your posts, will still be present.

It's extremely hard on the database and the server to delete accounts. It's also bad IT policy to destroy data.

Writers should take their words seriously, always. Don't post it if you're not writing hard, and writing true.

4. Well what recourse do I have if I want to delete my account?

You can edit your own posts, one by one, as long as they're not in locked threads. We're not going to help you do that either. And if you engage in a mass deletion spree, your account may be locked automaticallly by the software for security reasons. Slow and steady should be ok.
We are no longer standing behind the twelve-year-old suggestion that you delete your posts or edit them to remove the original content. If you don't care to participate as a member of the Absolute Write community, stop coming here. While you are a participant, we expect you, as a writer, to consider your words carefully before posting them, then to stand behind what you said. It's not all right to make your posts disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.