• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Literary Counsel (Frances Black)

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
I just got a full request from Jennifer Mishla in response to a query I sent to Fran Black. I tried doing a search on this agency, but nothing comes up on the boards.

The do have a Publisher's Marketplace page, as well as a website that's still under construction. According to Google's cache, they sold something in March of this year, but I can't look at it since I don't have a PM account.

On their site, they have two books published, one through Mira Publishing and another through Camel Press.

You can see their website here:
http://www.literarycounsel.com/

and their Publisher's Marketplace here:
http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/Artscounsel/

According to their PM page, it looks like they have published with Harper Collins, or at least Frances has. Anyone know anything about this agency? According to Frances' linkedin page, it's been around for about 2 years and Jennifer's been working there for four.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

eastcoastgal

compulsive overeditor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the agency itself, but I can reassure you that Mira Books isn't a self publisher. It's Harlequin's single-title line, and they only accept agented submissions.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
East, thanks so much. I couldn't tell right off the bat, so i just wanted to be sure. Sorry for any confusion.

Edit: Seems I looked at the completely wrong website for Mira. That explains the confusion. Thanks again East.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I just got a full request from Jennifer Mishla in response to a query I sent to Fran Black. I tried doing a search on this agency, but nothing comes up on the boards.

The do have a Publisher's Marketplace page, as well as a website that's still under construction. According to Google's cache, they sold something in March of this year, but I can't look at it since I don't have a PM account.

On their site, they have two books published, one through Mira Publishing and another through Camel Press.

You can see their website here:
http://www.literarycounsel.com/

and their Publisher's Marketplace here:
http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/Artscounsel/

According to their PM page, it looks like they have published with Harper Collins, or at least Frances has. Anyone know anything about this agency? According to Frances' linkedin page, it's been around for about 2 years and Jennifer's been working there for four.

Thanks in advance.

I found two sales on PM for Frances Black; one to Camel Press (of whom more in a second) in March of this year, and one to Mira in June 2010. A search for Jennifer Mishla in deals turned up nothing.

Camel Press appears to be a very small house, and the majority of their deals listed on PM are made with Dawn Dowdle at the Blue Ridge Literary Agency.

I'd ask what other sales--if any--they've made and not reported to PM.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Stacia. I'll ask should this full turn into an offer. I was just wondering what experiences others have had if any. She seems nice, and Jennifer sent a very kind email requesting my full.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
One of our AWers signed with them recently.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
One of our AWers signed with them recently.

That would be me.

Fran has been around a long time and knows many editors as an agent for children's book illustrators.

From the phone calls we've had, she comes off as very savvy of the industry and seems to know what may sell and where to sell it, be it big six or something slightly smaller.

I'm impressed.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
That would be me.

Fran has been around a long time and knows many editors as an agent for children's book illustrators.

From the phone calls we've had, she comes off as very savvy of the industry and seems to know what may sell and where to sell it, be it big six or something slightly smaller.

I'm impressed.

:D Vandal, didn't want to "out" you without your consent. But, glad you posted about them. Thanks!

estrempler

Registered
Reaction score
Jennifer Mishler?

Does anyone have personal experience with Jennifer Mishler?
She's taken a real interest in my query, and I'm looking for more information about her.

Last edited:

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I signed with her and Frances Black this week! So far, they are extremely enthusiastic and responsive. :D

Estrempler, good luck to you!

grumbles13

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I signed with her and Frances Black this week! So far, they are extremely enthusiastic and responsive. :D

Estrempler, good luck to you!

Can you tell us about how long it took to get your offer from when you submitted the full?

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have personal experience with Jennifer Mishler?
She's taken a real interest in my query, and I'm looking for more information about her.

Jenn is an associate agent at Literary Counsel. I've talked to her several times and she's very young and very enthusiastic. She has sent out a few of my submission queries and gotten full requests. She's also reading two other manuscripts of mine.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Can you tell us about how long it took to get your offer from when you submitted the full?

They read my full very quickly and offered within a few days. :D

grumbles13

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Its2Snappy!

I'm just getting antsy.... patience is a virtue, I know! (and apparently one I lack!)

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Its2Snappy!

I'm just getting antsy.... patience is a virtue, I know! (and apparently one I lack!)

It's ALL a waiting game. *fingers crossed for you*

DruidKitt

Snarky McWriterPants
Registered
Reaction score
@ Vandal and Its2Snappy:

Have you ascertained if this agency has sold more than two books? I'm interested in them, but their lack of searchable sales figures has me worried. Everything else you've said has sounded great, but the proof is in the pudding, no?

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
@ Vandal and Its2Snappy:

Have you ascertained if this agency has sold more than two books? I'm interested in them, but their lack of searchable sales figures has me worried. Everything else you've said has sounded great, but the proof is in the pudding, no?

She repped illustrators for years, so her sales have mostly been for picture books and chapter books. Her foray into author representation is fairly new so her sales are small.

She knows many editors at solid pubs, so I'm banking on that experience.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Vandal already said it. But, if you review her Publishers Marketplace page you can see all of the illustrators she's represented over the years through her work at the Arts Counsel - this is also verifiable through a google search ;). So, she may be newer to the author side, but certainly not to publishing.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Got a very nice reply to my query from Jennifer Mishler saying that she liked my premise and would get back to me within the week on my sample chapters. Looks like they have some great connections according to LinkedIn.

Araenvo

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.simonpclark.com
How did it go, popgun? I just sent an initial query off by e-mail this morning, would love to hear anyone else's experience. I like their focus on debut writers so long as the agents have the know how to get books with publishers!

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Araenvo. They recently made two sales within the past ten days for their authors. One for G1na L@mm with S0urc3books. One for Sh@nnyn Schr03d3r with eK3ns1ngton. You can see the announcements on Twitter and the agency website.

I'm repped by the agency and I'm on sub with my co-written MS. So far,we've gone out to many houses, and several editors are reading. Jenn's also reading my newest solo MS. They keep their authors in the loop, and although a young agency, I've had nothing but a great experience from day one.

Araenvo

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.simonpclark.com
Ah cool, thanks for that info. Do you know if you're being subbed to pretty mainstream publishers? That must be pretty exciting ^_^ How was the experience submitting to the agency itself?
Oh so many questions ;p

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Ah cool, thanks for that info. Do you know if you're being subbed to pretty mainstream publishers? That must be pretty exciting ^_^ How was the experience submitting to the agency itself?
Oh so many questions ;p

You're welcome. And this is the place to ask the questions, so don't hesitate. I'm subbed to various imprints at the larger houses. Here's some of them and the imprints: H@rp3rC0llins - @v0n, St M@rt1ns, P3ngu1n - N@L, S1m0n and Schust3r - P0ck3t B00ks. Jenn shares the pitch letters with me, and forwards any responses from the editors as well. You're definitely kept in the loop about all submissions.

When I first queried the agency, I received a request for the full five days later, and an offer of representation two days after that. Jenn was very excited and showed it to Fran almost immediately. I know they've gotten busier since then, so response times may be a bit longer now. But, I've been very lucky since day one. As the agency grows and more sales are made, I see it becoming even more successful.

Best of luck on your query!

Araenvo

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.simonpclark.com
That is an awesome story - it must have been pretty hard to believe by the end of the week you had an agent! Best of luck with your submissions - those are certainly great publishers, I think I'd be jumping every time I got an e-mail. Well, I tend to do that anyway, but you're right, response times are now around 4 weeks, I think they say (Which is still pretty impressive for a busy agency) Great stuff!

MarieSalvros

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any more experience with this agency. Have they made any sales to any big press? Do they get their submissions read by agents at the major houses? I know they submit, as it's mentioned up thread, but does feedback come from those editors?