UK natives (or people just living there) help please!

sparkypants

Registered
Reaction score
Hi team,

I'm starting a project and wanted to take some sort of consensus, so I hope this is the right place (please move if not).

What is the essence (for lack of a better word) that really makes you think of each month in Britain? Like for me, September is always the end of summer holidays, back to school, the traffic gets bad (worse) again, new pencils and new uniforms and people coming back from abroad and stuff like that. But that's just me.

What really makes each month for all of you? Say like if you were reading and what would really make know that something was set in a certain month?

Any help would be much, much appreciated!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
August - start of the football season, sports pages full of transfer gossip, roads quiet, offices half full, outdoor music festivals every weekend, teens getting their exam results.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
January: rain
February: rain
March: rain
April: rain
May: rain
June: rain
July: rain
August: rain
September: rain
October: rain
November: rain
December: rain

(Sorry, I guess that's what happens when one lives in Manchester! :D)

VeryVerity

I like bewbs.
Registered
Reaction score
What Terie said! :D

What type of book is this? You've mentioned September and school, so YA? Maybe defining this will help get more relevant responses that can tie in to your story? E.g. If it is YA, my perception of January being tax season is probably irrelevant (and indeed irrelevant to most people actually)! :)

However, as I'm not sure:

January: after Xmas sales, not a lot of money after Xmas.

March: Spring! Snowdrop and daffodils, the winter is ending.

July and August: summer holidays, so it's short staffed at work

October: stunning, and the real turn of the weather to Autumn. Magical.

November: Xmas stuff in the shops. Cold and miserable.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
January - Skint. Bleak
February. Valentines
March - Windy
April - Birthdays!
May - Hot, blooming. (All the plants kind of explode)
June - Flaming
July - End of school - lazy days
August - Silly Season
September - Back to School
October - Red leaves, crisp, clear mornings.
November - bonfires and fireworks
December - Christmas (what else?)

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Used to live there. But was in the South East, so a different take on the weather and memories. Let me see what I recall:

January: Dismal, rain, freezing, after-Christmas sales bonanza and very wet streets. Second half of the "Winter" term for schools (around 6th Jan last I remember).

February: Wet, just wet. Also, Chinese New Year celebrations in a wet cobblestoned China Town, London. Great fog banks on the motorways driving to and from London late at night (think 11pm onwards).

March: Wet. Spring. Apparently, but still brisk with some sun peeking through. However, lots of grey clouds and grey days, still. And for school, IIRC Spring Term starts around here. Somewhere.

April: Wet. Just wet. Oh, and April Fool's as well as Easter. If you're attending a Catholic school, lots of things to do with Easter. And the Spring Break (about 2 weeks of holiday, maybe.)

May: May Day. And the days are getting sunnier. School is a pain in the neck -- long and boring. :p Exam prep, too. Oh, days are starting to stay sunny for longer.

June: Exams begin for many schools; some probably started in May. Days should be pretty warm at this point, little rain. Lots of indoor time, however. Usually spent at a forlorn wooden desk that rocked thanks to uneven legs, set in a large hall filled with its siblings. Pupils at a desk each. Chairs were plastic, uncomfortable and had metal legs. Shift wrong and the entire thing scraped along the wooden floor (think rusty nails on a blackboard).

July: Depending on school and district, exams were still going. By this time, the hall would have been stifling -- stuffy, hot, airless, no air-con (well, at the time I attended). And everyone fidgeting. Pencils and pens dropped, calculators clicked, one student in the back of the hall on a laptop (he had a medical condition that prevented him hand writing anything for any length of time over 20 minutes, I believe). Plenty of huge sighs (usually meaning: OMG, when is this going to end?!)

Sports Day prep was in here somewhere, too. Maybe? I don't recall the exact month. But it always took place out on the sports field -- three-legged races, sack races, spoon/egg races, etc. Parents were invited to come and watch and participate. Also a good time to make the teachers participate (and laugh at them only in the way kids can do nastily without being nasty).

Outside, sunny hot days. Sweltering compared to the long cold months. And lots of greenery (again, depends on your location). Then plenty of traffic. Enough uphill/downhill walking, that you really didn't need the PE (Physical Education) lessons.

If you took the right route, you'd end up walking through a gorgeous park: tree canopy walkways, grassy banks with lots of tree shading, flowers, birds, plenty of bees and curious wasps. General mix of pedestrians, but quiet and peaceful.

Take a different route and you'd go through the High Street and then the actual shopping district. Push chairs. Screaming babies. Yelling adults (they were conversing, in fact). And huge gangs of students walking mostly abreast, so they managed to occupy the width of a street without having that many people in the line.

There was a huge Wimpy's on the corner (later it turned into a BK; don't know what it is now). And plenty of people hitting McDonald's at the other end of this district (which also housed another school). So, you'd see a vast amount of pedestrians holding a McD's milkshake or coke.

August: Summer holidays started and advancing rapidly. Hot sweltering days. Not much different to July, except for the absence of exams. Summer homework if you were unlucky enough. But it generally meant you'd completed the school year and you'd be advancing to the next one up come September.

Holidays abroad also defined August for me.

September: New school year. New books. New teachers (almost). New stuff to remember. Days cooling off. Long autumn sunlight; still stuffy and hot.

October: Getting cold. Mock-exams prep. Hallowe'en coming up (if you were into it). Occasional gale-force winds.

November: Cross-country idiocy. Nope, I didn't like it. It was a long job from the school, round various areas and full of migraines thanks to the cold. Mock exams prep. Sometimes these mocks took place in Nov, sometimes in Jan just after the Christmas holidays.

Rain starting up again. Gale-force winds, or the good old wind chill took up residence again. Dismal grey days once more. Nothing of interest but more homework, short days and even shorter tempers.

December: Christmas prep (for Catholic schools this was intense, almost). More studies, more rain. More homework.

Christmas holidays (3 weeks, most of which was spent having fun; mock-exam revision was crammed into the last 2 days prior to returning to school :p ).

Hope that helps some. It's mainly YA-focused since the original post mentioned school, summer holidays and uniforms. :)

sparkypants

Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh this is all brilliant. Thank you so much! Not so YA focused, but early twenties, maybe dipping a few years above and below.

VeryVerity totally agree about your October. One of my favourite months!

It's the same characters, but different disconnected stories (though obviously connected by the same people) through the months, but I really want to get a subtle sense of time passing.

More please everyone, these are great! =)

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
They did sell them all year round for a while, but according to that Wikipedia page, sales dropped. Obviously Wikipedia is sometimes wrong, but why else would they reduce the season?

Myself, I prefer the mini eggs - like Smarties only with more chocolate! Also, I'm sure Creme Egg fondant used to be runnier when I was a kid...

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Not so YA focused, but early twenties, maybe dipping a few years above and below.

In this case: where mine says secondary school, shift it to university. And remove Sports Day. Then add in traisping from building to building within a university campus.

In the summer, it would be under a blazing sun; in the winter, it would be hugging the walls where the wind chill and freezing rain were less likely to slam into you (though not by much).

Parties not so much for me. But going out to the Students Union, playing pool or snooker, or going to the arcades was par for the course. And, of course, hanging out with friends. Not to mention living in the halls and having to put up with noisy partying but overall friendly Greek neighbours. :)

Else, pretty much, working part time and studying full time, or going into Central London. :)

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annelyle.com
February-March: snow sometimes. Usually not much - an inch or so at most, typically - but it has a nasty tendency to thaw and then refreeze into thin sheets of ice. Further north and west, where it's more hilly, you get more snow, but the south-east is relatively warm and dry (i.e. mostly above freezing!).

Lately we've been getting this kind of weather in December, but it's unpredictable. Basically it rains all year round, except when it doesn't, and although extremes of temperature are rare, the wet, windy climate makes it feel colder than it is. I have Russian and Swedish colleagues who complain about how cold England is!

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
They did sell them all year round for a while, but according to that Wikipedia page, sales dropped. Obviously Wikipedia is sometimes wrong, but why else would they reduce the season?

Myself, I prefer the mini eggs - like Smarties only with more chocolate! Also, I'm sure Creme Egg fondant used to be runnier when I was a kid...

I put it down to the contrariness of your average Brit - When I used to work in a bakery, we'd fresh bake hot cross buns every day for two months before Easter. About 50% of customers would moan 'It's too soon for hot cross buns!'. The other 50% would ask why didn't we make them all year round?

As for weather - apart from last year, my roses are still in bloom on Christmas Day. We're in some weird pocket of geography whereby all the crap weather passes us by (no kidding, it can be sunny and hot here, but 10 miles away, poor old Billingshurst is drowning) Also the weather changes considerably as soon as you hit teh Downs (North or South)

Sum0

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonsofloki.co.uk
I know our rain is practically a national treasure, but it's not that bad, promise!

The things that pop to mind are really the changing of the seasons - about ten minutes of nice weather in April that marks the advent of spring, then ten minutes of summer in May, then pot luck over the next few months as you wonder where the summer went and then realise it's already gone. Back to uni in October. Bonfire night in November. Christmas in December, and then new year's straight after in January. Plenty of snow until March, with a few days of it every few weeks.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annelyle.com
Yes, the west coast is very wet. I went to uni in Bristol, and it would usually rain for a week solid at the beginning of the academic year (early October). I now live in one of the driest parts of the country :)

ETA - see, we really do talk about the weather a lot. It's because it's so unpredictable. I don't suppose people in California need to discuss how sunny it is!

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
ETA - see, we really do talk about the weather a lot. It's because it's so unpredictable. I don't suppose people in California need to discuss how sunny it is!

Ha! Seeing as how I'm originally from California, well, you can see why I talk about the rain so much. It's a rare commodity where I come from!

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
January: cold, depressing. Christmas and New Year's Eve are done so it's all a big anti-climax.

February: still cold and depressing. By this point, everyone's bored shitless of winter. Nothing's happening but being cold and wet.

March: possibly the most pointless month. We're coming out of winter but it's not spring.

April: spring...uh...springs so the weather picks up. The clocks have changed so everyone's a bit happier. There's the Easter break around now although it varies each year, obviously.

May: people start talking about summer plans, if any. The weather goes from ten degrees to late twenties in the space of a day so nobody knows what to wear. Which means teenage girls wear bog all and I feel like a dirty old man.

June: summer starts. If we're lucky.

July: schools finish. If it's hot for more than two days, the papers start using words like heatwave and gridlock.

August: holidays, ads on TV for back to school sales (to be fair, these usually start the day schools finish in July). Barbeques, sunburn on my head, the constant sound of lawnmowers.

September: back to school, cooler mornings, gets dark earlier, Christmas cards in shops.

October: definitely darker earlier by now which is always depressing. The clocks change at the end of the month. The two trees at the end of my garden shed about 400 tons of dead leaves.

November: winter. Christmas ads on TV. People talk about who's going to win the X Factor as if it actually matters.

December: the silly season. I spend the month saying bah, humbug.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
January: cold, depressing. Christmas and New Year's Eve are done so it's all a big anti-climax.

February: still cold and depressing. By this point, everyone's bored shitless of winter. Nothing's happening but being cold and wet.

March: possibly the most pointless month. We're coming out of winter but it's not spring.

April: spring...uh...springs so the weather picks up. The clocks have changed so everyone's a bit happier. There's the Easter break around now although it varies each year, obviously.

May: people start talking about summer plans, if any. The weather goes from ten degrees to late twenties in the space of a day so nobody knows what to wear. Which means teenage girls wear bog all and I feel like a dirty old man.

June: summer starts. If we're lucky.

July: schools finish. If it's hot for more than two days, the papers start using words like heatwave and gridlock.

August: holidays, ads on TV for back to school sales (to be fair, these usually start the day schools finish in July). Barbeques, sunburn on my head, the constant sound of lawnmowers.

September: back to school, cooler mornings, gets dark earlier, Christmas cards in shops.

October: definitely darker earlier by now which is always depressing. The clocks change at the end of the month. The two trees at the end of my garden shed about 400 tons of dead leaves.

November: winter. Christmas ads on TV. People talk about who's going to win the X Factor as if it actually matters.

December: the silly season. I spend the month saying bah, humbug.

What Seun said, x 100.

Chantal.H

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wearegoingonawitchhunt.wordpress.com
The weather really is a big deal here. Partly because it is so changeable but also because everything is so much closer together that popping to the shops does not necessarily mean going in a car (for a lot of people it does though) also if you hang washing outside instead of putting it all in a tumble drier you have to check the sky or the weather reports.

Also the weather is very unreliable; I went camping this year in April - I thought I was crazy at first, but it turned out to be better than when I went in August.

Then you have to add the daylight changes. You can check this on the met office's sun rise/set part of their site. In the winter it is dark when you leave the house in the morning and dark again shortly after the kids get home from school. But in the summer it's still light(ish) at 10 o'clock at night.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annelyle.com
Then you have to add the daylight changes. You can check this on the met office's sun rise/set part of their site. In the winter it is dark when you leave the house in the morning and dark again shortly after the kids get home from school. But in the summer it's still light(ish) at 10 o'clock at night.

Good point. I found it very weird, going to California in July - the days were so much shorter than back home!