• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Editor] Harold Underdown

writegirl

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of hiring a freelance editor to do a critique of my YA novel. Anybody know anything about Harold Underdown or Deanna Brady and the quality of their editorial work? Thanks a mil!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey writegirl! You will probably get more responses in the Bewares, Recommendations and Background Checks forum. Send a private message to a moderator and they can move this thread there for you. It might also help to put the names of the editors in the subject line to get more attention.

Welcome to AW!

juliatheswede

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I have read stuff that have been professionally edited and still wasn't very good. (I got the sense the editor just kept editing and didn't tell the writer the truth because he/she was paid to edit, not matter what.) That was because the original writing wasn't up to par yet. I'm not saying this to discourage you--your writing might be fantastic--just that, IMHO, the best way to become a good writer and judge of good writing, including your own, is to read tons and tons of books, write all the time, critique other people's works and take writing classes.

Just my two cents, take with a grain of salt

Last edited:

writegirl

Registered
Reaction score
Harold Underdown or Deanna Brady

Does anyone know anything about Harold Underdown or Deanna Brady as freelance editors. Thinking about hiring one of them. Thanks!

agentpaper

One of many
Registered
Reaction score
Harold Underdown used to work for a publisher, but I can't remember which one (Charlesbridge maybe?). He was Grace Lin's editor for her earlier works (The UGLY VEGETABLES, I believe). He also wrote the COMPLETE IDIOT'S GUIDE TO CHILDREN'S PUBLISHING and runs The Purple Crayon. I've met him a few times and attended a workshop he did for the NJ SCBWI conference this past July and he seemed very knowledgeable about editing and gave me some great tips to use. He also frequents Verla Kay's blueboards (not sure if I'm allowed to mention that here or not. Mods, please feel free to remove it if I'm not.)

As far as his freelance editing, I've never personally used him. I also don't know anything about Deanna Brady.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I met Harold at the NJSCBWI conference two months ago. Great guy, seems to know his business. I sat at his table for the Sunday lunch. He was there with another freelance editor, Eileen Robinson, and she was also really great. Both gave workshops at the conference.

Hey AgentPaper - you were there too? Who are you, maybe I saw you there!

agentpaper

One of many
Registered
Reaction score
I met Harold at the NJSCBWI conference two months ago. Great guy, seems to know his business. I sat at his table for the Sunday lunch. He was there with another freelance editor, Eileen Robinson, and she was also really great. Both gave workshops at the conference.

Hey AgentPaper - you were there too? Who are you, maybe I saw you there!

Yep! I PMd you. :D

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I am e-acquainted with Harold, and he's 100% legitimate. If I were looking to pay for a critique, he'd be at or near the top of my list.