AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Editor] Harold Underdown

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin writegirl's Avatar

Smile [Editor] Harold Underdown

I'm thinking of hiring a freelance editor to do a critique of my YA novel. Anybody know anything about Harold Underdown or Deanna Brady and the quality of their editorial work? Thanks a mil!

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred Chris P's Avatar
    Hey writegirl! You will probably get more responses in the Bewares, Recommendations and Background Checks forum. Send a private message to a moderator and they can move this thread there for you. It might also help to put the names of the editors in the subject line to get more attention.

Welcome to AW!
    Join any time! Take the 2017 AW Reading Challenge. Pick 12 books from a list of topics and read/discuss with us throughout the year.

Got the hang of it, here
    I have read stuff that have been professionally edited and still wasn't very good. (I got the sense the editor just kept editing and didn't tell the writer the truth because he/she was paid to edit, not matter what.) That was because the original writing wasn't up to par yet. I'm not saying this to discourage you--your writing might be fantastic--just that, IMHO, the best way to become a good writer and judge of good writing, including your own, is to read tons and tons of books, write all the time, critique other people's works and take writing classes.

Just my two cents, take with a grain of salt
    Last edited by juliatheswede; 08-17-2011 at 12:31 AM.
    The Smiley Killer is available now!

thanks juliatheswede and Chris.

Smile Harold Underdown or Deanna Brady

Does anyone know anything about Harold Underdown or Deanna Brady as freelance editors. Thinking about hiring one of them. Thanks!

Harold Underdown used to work for a publisher, but I can't remember which one (Charlesbridge maybe?). He was Grace Lin's editor for her earlier works (The UGLY VEGETABLES, I believe). He also wrote the COMPLETE IDIOT'S GUIDE TO CHILDREN'S PUBLISHING and runs The Purple Crayon. I've met him a few times and attended a workshop he did for the NJ SCBWI conference this past July and he seemed very knowledgeable about editing and gave me some great tips to use. He also frequents Verla Kay's blueboards (not sure if I'm allowed to mention that here or not. Mods, please feel free to remove it if I'm not.)

As far as his freelance editing, I've never personally used him. I also don't know anything about Deanna Brady.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.
    ~AP

All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream-Edgar Allen Poe

RENEGADE ~ November 13, 2012 from Tor Teen (Macmillan)

Revelations ~ November 5, 2013 from Tor Teen (Macmillan)

haz a shiny new book cover Christine N.'s Avatar
    I met Harold at the NJSCBWI conference two months ago. Great guy, seems to know his business. I sat at his table for the Sunday lunch. He was there with another freelance editor, Eileen Robinson, and she was also really great. Both gave workshops at the conference.

Hey AgentPaper - you were there too? Who are you, maybe I saw you there!
    Christine

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Coming Spring 2015 from Curiosity Quills Press

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of

Thanks to both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine N. View Post
    I met Harold at the NJSCBWI conference two months ago. Great guy, seems to know his business. I sat at his table for the Sunday lunch. He was there with another freelance editor, Eileen Robinson, and she was also really great. Both gave workshops at the conference.

Hey AgentPaper - you were there too? Who are you, maybe I saw you there!
    Yep! I PMd you.
    ~AP

All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream-Edgar Allen Poe

RENEGADE ~ November 13, 2012 from Tor Teen (Macmillan)

Revelations ~ November 5, 2013 from Tor Teen (Macmillan)

Now with bonus eyelashes AW Moderator Sage's Avatar
    Done and done
    Paranormal Bromance and Joy (PB&J) - NaNoWriMo - 47,134 words

"This isn't Scooby Doo. We're not meddling kids who are going to find clues and solve the mystery."
    "This is Scooby Doo, except the monsters and witches are real, and they have your family! You and Joy are the only ones who can do anything about it."

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Harold Underdown: http://www.underdown.org/

Please start a separate thread for Ms. Brady.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I am e-acquainted with Harold, and he's 100% legitimate. If I were looking to pay for a critique, he'd be at or near the top of my list.
    Changing Gears (available now) -- Winning the race doesn’t equal winning at life.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog