An open invitation to be sued by JKR?

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
But wait a minute. PA said that for $50 they will put my book in front of Rowling's face and allow her to review it for me. But obviously, she never agreed to it, so what happens to the $50? Wouldn't this constitute as fraud? Shouldn't the FBI be invovlved? If I said to all of you, hey, I know Stephen King and he said if you all send me $50, he'll look at your book and review it for you. Well, obviously, I don't know King and he never offered this. I pocket $50 and toss your book into the trash, or worse, tell you how wonderful it is and how you should publish your book with me. So wouldn't this be fraud?? Shouldn't the FBI be invovled??

Their lawyer's response letter had a line with 3 exclamation points... then I quit reading it.
http://paidcontent.org/article/419-...rowling-lawyer-you-cant-keep-us-from-her-hou/

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Latest tweet from Publisher's weekly:
http://www.edinburgh-festivals.com/viewnews.aspx?id=3213

A spokesman for the National Library of Scotland said: “We can confirm we have absolutely no relationship with PublishAmerica.”

No-one from PublishAmerica, which is thought to have published around 3000 books last year, could be contacted for comment.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only one I see is the guy who says to use your royalties to pay for the special offers. I guess his book is doing well better than mine, or he hasn't gotten his first royalty check yet.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
PA said that for $50 they will put my book in front of Rowling's face and allow her to review it for me.

Very generous treatment of Ms. Rowling! And I think that's also their out: they don't guarantee that she'll take advantage of their generosity. She might be perverse and self-destructive and decline to review your book.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
You know, it's really depressing reading all those comments for authors on their fb page. Especially when you see new authors asking questions and you just wish you could jump in and stop them...

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
PublishAmerica posted this on Facebook three hours ago:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/PublishAmerica/138270496236018
PublishAmerica Donna apparently removed her post, and with it the entire thread. Here it is again: Sixto: We noticed your post about that story from Scotland.

It includes a line that says that "No-one from PublishAmerica[...] could be contacted for comment." That's funny because PublishAmerica was open for business all day, and has been for the past twelve years. It's a known phenomenon. A reporter believes he has a juicy story, and he doesn't want the truth to get in the way of that.

It's even funnier in light of the fact that a PublishAmerica delegation visited the National Library of Scotland at around 3:30 PM local time today to deliver on our promise to make the Library aware of our books. That mission was accomplished, just as the earlier mission of making Harry Potter author JK Rowling aware of a number of PublishAmerica books, fan mail and all, was also accomplished, yesterday.

If you re-read our special promotion offers from the past few weeks with care, you will see that none of the claims that this story alleges were actually made by PublishAmerica. Our delegation spent a full week in Scotland, roamed the Festival grounds extensively, promoted our authors, and delivered on every single promise that was made to participating authors. No one at the Festival ever mentioned any problem, the Library official was very kind and helpful, and our delegation enjoyed spending time in the Elephant House across the street from the Library, where JK Rowling wrote most of her first Harry Potter book.

Finally, while in Edinburgh we also surprised our three Scottish PublishAmerica authors with complimentary special Festival editions of their book.

Any other questions? If not, then please help spread the real story.

My bold.

I don't know how to link to individual comments on Facebook, but this is the link to the page I have open; and I have a screen-grab of it just in case.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
From the PA FB page an author asks this:

PublishAmerica, you write "the earlier mission of making Harry Potter author JK Rowling aware of a number of PublishAmerica books, fan mail and all, was also accomplished, yesterday." Does that mean that you handed copies of the books over to Ms Rowling or her representative? If not, how exactly did you accomplish this?

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Someone better let JKR's reps know about that tidbit just in case...

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to see Ms. Rowling sic Fluffy on them. Or, failing that, highly paid lawyers approximating Fluffy's havoc potential. :D

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Links have been sent to the contact addy on the JKR site with the hope that someone there will remind PA that the C&D is still in effect.

I think that post is the second biggest load of bullshit I've ever seen.

The biggest load is, of course, PA's whole lying website.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Just a little update regarding PA's attendance at the EIBF: a friend of mine owns and runs Edinburgh's best independent bookshop. When PA announced it would be attending the EIBF and we heard about its JKR "promotion", she contacted PA and invited them to come to her shop to make a presentation of some of their authors' books to her.

This is the sort of opportunity that good publishers would pounce on: this bookshop, and my friend, are involved in several incredibly high-profile events at the EIBF each year, and a lot more outside of it. New writers have been launched at this bookshop and gone on to achieve great sales as a result. This bookshop has a seriously good reputation.

PA didn't respond to my friend's invitation so she contacted them again. And again. She still hasn't heard from PA. Ah, well. At least PA's books are "available" from her shop if people march in and order them specially.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
No surprise there. It would have required PA to do some actual preparation or, worse still, present whatever ill-edited, over-priced wares its authors had put forward for this promo - and thereby show themselves up as a vanity press. As long as they don't actually show anyone their products, they can still pretend they are a kosher outfit.

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
From the PA FB page an author asks this:

The answer is obvious: J.K. Rowling is unquestionably aware of PublishAmerica and their authors now! Mission accomplished... the whole C&D, all a brilliant maneuver to ensure JKR knew the name PublishAmerica! TADA!

:p