First look at Virgin Galactic's SubSpaceShip

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
http://singularityhub.com/2011/08/13/a-first-look-inside-virgin-galactic’s-commercial-spaceship/

virgin_galactic.jpg

IT'S GOOFY LOOKING!

But, the basic idea is similar to others we've seen: Ride into high altitudes with a plane and shoot off from there.

Apparently, this thing can get to suborbital altitudes. That's nice.

But it's not quite the moonshot.

That's why I'm still calling it a SSS: Sub-Space Ship.

Neat, though!

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Just what I always wanted - a ship to fly through sub-space! :D

But no, this isn't the "first look at" the thing. I recall the flights a few years ago of SpaceShipOne that won the X-Prize, it looked just about exactly like the pic you have there.

But it's the first look "inside" as the Singularityhub headline says.

And yeah, suborbital flights aren't good for anything but expensive and short-lived joyrides. But maybe it'll help fund a privately-nade ship that'll actually take someone into orbit. I know of at least one big first-world nation that would pay tens of millions of dollars per astronaut to get people up to the ISS and back down safely. I hear Russia charges only $50 million per astronaut. Maybe this Branson guy can undercut them.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Newborn babies are generally goofy-looking and not very competent either. Give it time to grow up before you judge it.

And because of the mention by ben (and the sign :D), here's a picture of SpaceShipOne after its first flight.

2438942790100527759S600x600Q85.jpg

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I immediately took this screenshot of SpaceShipOne when I saw that CNN had used the "O" word in describing its second flight: