• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Submission tracker] Submittable (formerly Submishmash)

turningpoint

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure where to put this question. For writers using submishmash for submitting to literary journals, how is that going for you? The 'in progress' status is supposed to mean "it has been assigned to a reader, labeled or voted on" (quoted from an answer from submishmash help). In your experience, does a submission float in 'in progress' forever? Are rejections clean and swift? Any generalizations from your experience.

you know how waiting is!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, it looks like it isn't for writers, but for publishers and agencies to keep track of submissions received.

turningpoint

Registered
Reaction score
It's for both- there is a way for writers to use it to submit and for editors to review many submissions and rank them.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
I've only ever used it when directed to by a journal or a publisher. It's worked fine for me, and I've had acceptances and rejections both (only one magazine never responded). As far as I can tell, it's just a way of keeping submissions together and giving a (vague) sense of where your submission is in the slush pile.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a short story accepted with this method, and have received rejections from it, too. It seems to work, but still doesn't prevent journals from taking ridiculously long in getting back to you. Some charge for the service, some don't.

I agree. I've never had any problems, but responses do seem to take longer with certain journals.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have submitted a couple of things through this.
I'd never thought to actually check on anything until now.

I used it yesterday to submit to a magazine that will probably take a couple of months to get back to me.
I doubt that they have even noticed my submission has arrived yet.

But on Submishmash it already says 'in progress'.
(my others all say 'declined' :()

So, my guess is 'in progress' just means that you have sent it and it hasn't been accepted or rejected yet.

For your submission, the recent responses at Duotrope are probably a better way of judging how long you will have to wait.

turningpoint

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks All, I have two "in progress" subs, two "received" subs and one "accepted". My one little green "accepted" has had the effect of making me look with curiosity every so often.

scorpiodragon

Black belt in awesome
Registered
Reaction score
A writer in my writer's group mentioned submishmash and I wanted to find out what people's thoughts were on the service especially in regards to how your submission looks on the formatting end of things.

A number of the above posters mentioned response times don't appear any faster through the service but I'm wondering for those who use it do you A) find it makes the submission process easier or about the same as submitting by e-mail/snailmail? and B) do you find an number of places prefer to use submishmash for submissions?

bimulous

Registered
Reaction score
In-Progress Status

Seems like an increasing number of short story markets are using submishmash. The amount of time it takes to respond still varies widely by publication.

As far as status meanings, on their forums they say: "In-progress is just a generic term that means an editor has begun looking at the piece or it's been assigned.. something has happened to it. In snail mail terms, it means they've taken it out of the envelope."

Ginger Writer

Writing like a madwoman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
For your submission, the recent responses at Duotrope are probably a better way of judging how long you will have to wait.

Yeah. I've had rather quick responses from some, and others (say The Literary Review) took ten months. Some will have you "in progress" forever. Others will only have you in that stage for a week or a couple of days. For response times, it really depends on the journal, and Duotrope is a very good estimation tool, especially if they (the journals) don't give you a rough time when you should expect to hear back from them. About 1/4 of the submissions I've sent out have been through Submishmash. I've had no problems with the engine, but all of the acceptances I've gotten have been through email submissions. I tend not to do snail mail.