To Take or Not to Take: Freelance Fiction Editing Gig

Lovely Decadence

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently responded to an ad for a fiction editor for an up and coming e-reader series. The team has a website and have already circulated the first two issues, but they're still fairly new so obviously the returns are going to be low ($70-$100 a month), until the steam really gets going and readership increases. I'm really excited about the prospect of becoming part of the team, and the most appealing thing about it is they're looking for a self starter so my lack of experience writing professionally won't be to my detriment. The only draw backs to the position are the relatively low financial returns to start and the amount of work that I'd have devote to the project to ensure it'll be a success. I'm aware that first time freelance gigs are typically low monetary returns, so obviously I won't be quitting my day job and this aspect won't play into me turning it down as the learning experience and professional experience of becoming part of the 'biz' so to speak is invaluable. I only worry that I might get in over my head and that I might not be able to keep up with the marketing aspect of the job which will actually be the more time consuming part rather than the editing. I'm a hard worker and at this point in my life I'd be willing to go completely gun ho, balls to the wall to become a success in the world of writing and publishing. So I guess what I'm looking for is advice from other people who might have started out similarly with freelance work. Tell me the rewards, the draw-backs, your personal experiences, and advice on the matter to help me make a smart decision on whether to take this position.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
If I were in your shoes, I'd look at a few key questions.

What are your goals as a writer? Will this enhance your chances of fulfilling those or take away the time you'll need to achieve them?

Do you need the money?

How much will you earn per hour? (Do the math.)

Do you believe this will really be a successful company? Why?

Why is a freelance person being asked to market? Of course, you'd do some naturally, but it's not in the job description of fiction editor.

Does your contract specify pay increases based on the number of readers? If not, what guarantees that your rates will increase with them?

Have you read the contract and does it make sense to you? How well has the team answered your questions? What is the track record and experience level of the other members? Does this inspire confidence? (Google them.)

I hope asking yourself the questions helps. I have no direct experience in the matter but these are things I look at when asked to write freelance. Be honest with yourself. Talk it out with someone. Good luck either way.

Lovely Decadence

Registered
Reaction score
thanks for responding to my thread debbie, I thought no one would stop by and offer an opinion! For the most part, my goals for this type of venture would be to get my name out there and also to gain more experience in the biz. More exposure can only help in the long run and help me to understand things more once I finally get my own work out there. I'm not hurting for cash right now (although I could stand to be making more), but gig is royalty ($.25 each ebook sold) based and if it gets big I'd like it to replace my current job (which is one I hate). The marketing aspect has more to do with the philosophy of how creator envisions that this project will be a success. He expects each team member to work diligently to get the projects name out there via social media as the medium of ebooks that is being distributed is new. I'm not sure about pay increases, but obviously as more people purchase, I could expect more in royalties. The creator has actually done pretty well explaining to me his project and what to expect (I've been through 3-4 rounds of interviewing thus far). The big issue is the amount of time it will take (he estimated about 50hrs a week) and that's the only thing I'm a little hesitant about having to work to pay the bills and all. What do you think? Is he asking too much, or should I go for it?

PortableHal

Not-so-new
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marsneedswriters.com
Hi, LD -- I want to make sure I've understood this properly: You'll be working, roughly, 200 hours a month and getting paid, tops $100. So...fifty cents for each hour of your life devoted to this.

Plus, for free, the publisher wants you to pimp each finished project on the side, in the hope that this effort will generate sales. You get another twenty-five cents per sale of each title you've worked on.

It sounds as if the publisher is poorly capitalized, or he'd pay you better and do his own marketing, and new publishers usually struggle to sell their product, anyway. For a little known newbie, a hundred sales of a title is a decent number. Which is another $25.00 for you and your efforts.

If I've understood things correctly, I'd skip this gig. Whatever your decision, I wish you luck.

Lovely Decadence

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, LD -- I want to make sure I've understood this properly: You'll be working, roughly, 200 hours a month and getting paid, tops $100. So...fifty cents for each hour of your life devoted to this.

Plus, for free, the publisher wants you to pimp each finished project on the side, in the hope that this effort will generate sales. You get another twenty-five cents per sale of each title you've worked on.

It sounds as if the publisher is poorly capitalized, or he'd pay you better and do his own marketing, and new publishers usually struggle to sell their product, anyway. For a little known newbie, a hundred sales of a title is a decent number. Which is another $25.00 for you and your efforts.

If I've understood things correctly, I'd skip this gig. Whatever your decision, I wish you luck.
Thanks for replying portalbe. I've been coming to that decision as well. If it were just the editing I'd feel more comfortable about it, but the marketing part has me befuddled. I'm not sure how many hours I'd be able to realistically keep up with a facebook and twitter, etc. all in the name of getting the word out there. I guess when he calls I'll tell him this.

RobinF

Writing, speaking, more writing
Registered
Reaction score
I've never worked or written for a poorly-funded publication that succeeded. If it goes under how much will it have helped your writing career? Will an equal amount of time spent working on your career and earning a fair pay be better spent or not matter?

I spent three years as the editor of a new publication. It was an excellent resource for readers. The writers were not paid fairly. I put in a lot of volunteer time. I resigned when I was refused a raise after three years because the publication was under funded. Three months later, which happens to be the end of the articles I'd accepted for publication, the publication folded. I can add it to my resume and include the publisher's contact info but there's no trace of what was once an excellent publication. I regret spending my time that way.

Lovely Decadence

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for replying Robin, I guess it was my own inexperience that I didn't think to ask what funds they were using to run their website and such. The more I think about it, the more I feel like that should have been among my first questions. Although, He made it pretty apparent that this project was a labor of love and came to birth through friends and connections he currently has and not investors. Ironically, as I was writing this reply he gave me a call back to see how I digested everything from the face to face interview we had last night, and I told him that I wouldn't be able to keep up with the marketing. He was really nice about it, and said he understood but he would definitely consider offering me a position a year down the road (given they're still function and expanding) that could be more editing oriented and less marketing (which would be ideal). Thanks everyone for your opinions though, it really helped me make the decision that my head kind of knew all along but was too busy tying to convince my stubborn, foolish heart :tongue.