Learn The Nonfiction Book Publication Process With Mommas Jenna and Lauri and Poppa F

Dude in Hammock

Registered
Reaction score
Jenna,

Just wanted to thank you and everyone else who puts their time and energy into this site. About six months ago, I was an unpublished writer (no books, anyway) putting together a non-fiction book proposal for the first time, with nothing but whatever I could find on the web for guidance. I came across this site, and studied Jenna's Guide to Non-fiction. That was in August. Now it's February and I've got a great agent (at Trident Media Group) and a book contract (with advance) with HarperCollins. It's been a wild ride so far. It's unusual to owe so much to people I've never met, but thank you, Jenna, and everyone else who uses this site to encourage and guide strangers. This stranger appreciates it very much.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Dude, the very best way to express your appreciation for what AW has done for you is to become more active here yourself. Someday, someone(s) may be addressing a similar note to your attention. :)

Dude in Hammock

Registered
Reaction score
I take your point, Fishman, but my experience is just barely beyond non-existent, and it seems to me that people with much more knowledge have answered the most common and important questions very well already. I'll definitely do what I can, but others are have already done most of it.

By the way, I worked two years on salmon boats in Alaska, back in my yoot. Saw some amazing fish (and bears, eagles, whales, etc.).

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Dude, I finally found your other thread and already said congrats there, but it's worth saying again: CONGRATULATIONS! I'm thrilled I could help.

LC123: I've never really been in the situation (re: images). The only books I've written where images were needed were for book packagers who had photo research departments that handled all that stuff. (Like the Marilyn Monroe bio I just finished-- I made a few contacts and tracked down a few photos on my own, but by far, the bulk of the work was done by the photo researcher assigned to my book. And they pay the fees. But my advance/royalty reflects that.)

Favored_Dahl

Registered
Reaction score
Wowza, this was an awesome thread!!! God bless you for your willingness to help other writers especially those who don't know their butt from their head (at least in the world of writing)...lol I feel relieved to have a pathway to take but scared as it seems like I am doing a thesis for my Master's degree.

I posted a new thread before I read the sticky (sorry). So, I'll ask my questions here instead:

1) In regards to writing a parenting book, would I be considered qualified enough by a publisher? Briefly, I have a Master's Degree in Elementary Education, I have worked in various school districts with children of various SES, I am a parent of one high needs child and I have read enough books to earn me an honorary degree in Early Childhood (lol).

2) In regards to writing the overview, can it be written in the same frame of mind that one would write a book intro?

Thank you, thank you for this thread once again.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I'd vote "yes" and "yes." Depends, of course, on the type of parenting book you're writing, but your background in education should help.

Often, the first few paragraphs of my overview do end up being very similar to the first few paragraphs of my manuscript. Where it differs is that I'm more sales-minded in my overview than I would be in an intro-- I'm always keeping in mind that my objective is to show a publisher that there's a big market for this book, that the book is going to favorably compete in the marketplace, etc., whereas I don't need to do that in the book's intro.

And by all means, there was nothing wrong with you starting a new thread to ask your questions. It's usually quicker to do it that way, because I tend to be slow checking on this thread. Frank and Lauri help. :)

Favored_Dahl

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I have started working on my proposal. I have a question. Why do you say that we are to write the "about the author" section in third person. It feels so strange to do so.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
That's just the way it is... it's how it will appear on the book jacket and in promotional material, too.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
And, so, finally, I come to this excellent thread! Thank you, Momma, and now I too need help..
Yes, I am changing direction, moving from fiction to non-fiction. I plan to write a biography, and ask right now writing the proposal. I just wanted to know how a biography proposal works.. should the overview section by a summary of the person's life? Or more general stuff about the person (who is not well known, but had an extraordinary and very saleable life story)?

Favored_Dahl

Registered
Reaction score
Alrighty, I will just have to channel my Libra energy in order to see myself in an objective manner...lol

Ok, another question (I said in my other thread here that I would become a regular seeker of info :) ), I have the Idiot's Guide to Getting Published (I got this way before I knew about wonderful forums like this) and in the book the author mentions that one should write a query letter first. That the book proposal comes after an agent or an editor reads your query and requests a book proposal. What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
.... I just wanted to know how a biography proposal works.. should the overview section by a summary of the person's life? Or more general stuff about the person (who is not well known, but had an extraordinary and very saleable life story)?

Aruna, I have no experience in this particular area and was waiting for someone else to chime in. But since they haven't, I'll take a shot. ;)

I think what's important is to focus on why this person's life is worthy of a book. You need to overcome the "not well known" aspect that might predispose an agent/editor to pass on the project. So I'd work on the sizzle that'll get them salivating over the forthcoming steak.

You might also want to consider posting your question on the Life Story Writing board. Folks there may have some insight for you.

...I have the Idiot's Guide to Getting Published (I got this way before I knew about wonderful forums like this) and in the book the author mentions that one should write a query letter first. That the book proposal comes after an agent or an editor reads your query and requests a book proposal. What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks

Following specific guidelines is the key here. Some agents/pubs want both at the same time. Even if they only want the query first, if it does its job, a request for the proposal comes hot on its heels. So I think it makes sense to have both polished and ready to go.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
You might also want to consider posting your question on the Life Story Writing board. Folks there may have some insight for you.

Thank you,I will do that. I did a search there for "biography" and only one thread came up! So I'll just go ahead and try to get a discussion going.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Aurna, I've written a couple of biographies for children, and adult bios may well work differently, but in my most recent proposal I did a quick "greatest hits" kind of summary at the beginning and then moved on to how I would portray my subject differently than any other current biography (the pitch was for a bio on Theodore Roosevelt, so there is a lot out there but not a lot about his adventurous side). it was taken on by my agent right away, so the pitch must have been fairly effective.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Aruna, I agree with Frank and Lauri-- a summary, yes, but mostly focusing on the "sizzle"-- what will make it an interesting and different story.

Favored, you can certainly do it that way (query first). Most writers would probably advise that. I tend to just skip queries and send the full proposal to publishers I've targeted well (that is, if I've researched them and am fairly sure they'll be interested in my proposal). If it's more of a long shot, I may send a query first, just to save on stamps and paper.

Truth is I'm just impatient, and to me, waiting on responses to queries just slows down the process. I'd rather take the chance and send the whole proposal and get a faster final response.

Favored_Dahl

Registered
Reaction score
How did you do your research on the publishers, Jenna? I agree with your perspective here. I would rather just get the final response faster so that I can move along. Do you work with an agent? Do you recommend it?

Some questions about the proposal:

1. When writing about the competitive titles, is it necessary that I haven't read all the books? Is a skimming of the book enough to use as a basis to compare/contrast it with your book?

2. I entered some statistics in my overview because it fit better there with the overall flow of dialogue than in the market section. Is that a no-no?

3. How many rewrites is normal in regards to the book proposal?

Thanks to you and eraser for your help. I am beginning to feel like a tiny teeny fish in a big sea of sharks and I am wondering what I was thinking about trying to enter the non-fiction market. Argh!

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
This thread is awesome. Thanks, Jenna (and everyone else who's contributed)!

ToddWBush

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Jenna, I just found this thread, but have devoured it. I have written nothing but fiction, but recently decided that I had a couple of non-fiction ideas in the sports arena that I wanted to explore. Your advice has made it seem like that much more of a reality. Thanks!

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Wow, what a great thread! Will there be more lessons coming about the actual book publication process, i.e. what to expect once you're made the sale? (Although I guess there'd have to be a section about acceptance/contracts first). I sold my first book recently and realized that I have little idea of what to expect as I frantically work to finish the contract. I know I'll be dealing with the editor soon, and that publication is slated for June, but beyond that I'm pretty much clueless. If nothing else, it's going to be an education. If anyone has more info. on what to expect, I'd love to hear it.

ETA: I just found this resource: http://dsmagency.com/published.html

For those of you who know, is that a pretty accurate description?

Last edited:

WFTW

A Free Spirit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wheelersforthewounded.org
This is a fantastic thread and I've been reading it off and on over the past few days.

Here's my question...

My book is basically about my experiences working in Iraq and the non-profit organization I founded which benefits wounded service members (by reintroducing them to the joys of camping, fishing, and off-roading...something many of our military members enjoy but may have felt they could no longer do after loosing a leg or an arm to an explosion). The book will contain some interviews with wounded service members about their experiences as well (both upon being wounded and how the non-profit program has helped them).

While it's "non-fiction," should it be categorized as such or would it fall into another genre? In other words, should I be using the information in this thread to sell my book?

THANKS!

BillTrain

Registered
Reaction score
This is thread is fantastic...many thanks. It can be a bit daunting, thinking about getting from idea to publisher, but the info here makes it seem manageable. I'll let you know if I have a successful pitch (won't be for ~a year.)
Thanks again.
BT

Maricar

Registered
Reaction score
I finally made it to the last post! What a wealth of information this thread is. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

I was rewriting my proposal as I read this thread. I have already submitted it to one publisher and am still waiting for a response. It's only been 3 weeks, so I'm not too nervous yet. Meanwhile, I've been considering getting an agent, and so am rewriting my proposal and query letter. I've been kind of slow on this because I want to make sure I'm querying agents who will be a good fit for my book.

I'll definitely be coming back to this thread again and again.

Eric San Juan

Boxy But Safe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsanjuan.com
I was lucky enough to get my NF book published with nothing more than a query letter, but I wouldn't recommend others follow my lead. Just happened to be a perfect storm of factors, I guess.

For the follow-up, my co-author and I are going the more traditional proposal route. Jenna's samples are among the templates we studied when creating our proposal. We plan to begin pitching in about a month. Need to nail down a really great sample chapter first.

Miece

Registered
Reaction score
Was I lucky that I was referred to this thread first! As a first time NF writer, I felt lost when I thought of moving from writing the book to getting the book published.

I have written over half of a book with workbook on businesses surviving today's economic crisis. Now I feel I must focus on producing a topnotch proposal so the books gets into circulation.

Thanks for the incredible resource!

One question: Timeliness will affect the slant and appeal of the book. Should I highlight this in the cover letter with the proposal?

Triggermagee

Registered
Reaction score
Newbie to Nonfiction Writing

Hi jenna,

I just wanted to say that I liked your web site. I'm so green behind the ears when it comes to writing, that it is taking all of my courage to just send this email. I hope to correspond with you occasionally regarding questions that present themselves to me has i'm writing.
Writing has never been my best atribute, but my passion for the "old west" has.

Kathy

tengraceapples

Registered
Reaction score
Hey!

First off, Jenna I love u: ) Your posts are very helpful.

Question: Does all of the above go for writing humor non fic. eassy like stuff by David Sedaris?

Where can I get a sample humor non fic. query?

Thanks!