College Students Writing For Teens

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Treaty of Versailles...you pesky thing you...

And Ely - yes you have been neglecting your blog :tongue But that's okay...HS grad time is crazy. Are you headed to c0llege? Or what's your next step?

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
I actually took a class a year or so ago that was all about Nazi Germany and Hitler. The guy who taught it specialized in German studies, so it was really interesting. We went as far back as pre-WWI, just so we could get an idea of the type of nation Germany was, and the factors that led to WWII. The Treaty of Versailles was by far one of the biggest.

And now to stop dwelling on/in the wonders of history and step into the realm of fantasy and mythology.... :tongue

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
I am super excited. I know a couple of people who go to the college I'm going to, plus a few people from my HS are going so I won't have to worry about not knowing anybody. My mom really wanted me to live at home since I don't live too far away, but I wanted to get the full experience. I'm just nervous about who I'll be sharing a room with. I just hope we get along and that we'll have at least one thing in common.

AnthonyJones

Registered
Reaction score
College is a lot of fun. I'm going on my 3rd year.

You guys should definitely think about studying abroad sometime in the next 4 years. I'm doing a creative writing program this July and August in Edinburgh! I've not even gone yet, and I'm telling people they should definitely go haha.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
I LOVED studying abroad. I studied abroad in Australia and it was wicked difficult but I also looooved it. I highly recommend it. However it's not always for everyone (finances, don't want to go away, etc). But if you can afford it,etc...go! :D

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully I'll have enough money to go. I need to get out of the US, plus I want to travel before graduate school. I'm going to law school after I get my undergraduate degree, so I doubt I'll have any time to do any kind of studying abroad. Plus it will look good on a resume if I study abroad now.

AnthonyJones

Registered
Reaction score
I've also never been overseas. And it'll be my first time flying

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
I've only been on a place twice. Both flights were about two hours and it wasn't bad but I don't know how I'll feel about being in the air longer than that. Plus depending on where you're going you'll have to change flights and...yeah. The actual traveling isn't something I like doing, but it's worth if it means you get a change of scenery.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Anthony - don't sweat it. Flying is easy. Just remember to relax. Drink some water. Enjoy the movies. Bring some snacks. And have a great time in Sco'land :D

Also guys...is it August yet? I'm going to Europe as my college grad present. :snoopy:

MeganDuff

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myfaultline.blogspot.com
Oh my God guys. FRIENDS *runs around giving everyone hugs*

Well, I have been staring at the computer with googily eyes going all "wow this is a lot...a lot of people...a lot of threads...what do i do???"

And then I found you guys and I was like MY PEOPLE I LOVE YOU MY PEOPLE

Do I seem over enthusiastic? I am.
So...hi :D

storiesinmyhead

Registered
Reaction score
I highly recommend studying abroad. I went to South Africa and it was the best thing ever! I think it helped that at that point I really needed a break from my school. I also met some of the greatest people. Coming from all over the country made it sad to leave (seriously, everyone was a weepy mess the last few days) but we've already met up/made plans to meet up. Now we just have to figure out how to see some of our South African friends again. Damn having no money.

I was a little nervous about going to a whole new country, especially since I didn't go to collage too far from home, and I'd barely traveled before that but it was amazing. The work was a little harder than I was expecting but I think a lot of that had to do with cultural differences with teachers. It all worked out in the end though.

The flight was LONG. But they fed us a lot and I caught up on some movies. Sleeping, not so much haha. I'm sure you'll be fine with a longer flight. Just try to get up and walk around every once in a while.

Smiley-that is the best grad present ever. I am super jealous.

MeganDuff

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myfaultline.blogspot.com
SCOTLAND

College is a lot of fun. I'm going on my 3rd year.

You guys should definitely think about studying abroad sometime in the next 4 years. I'm doing a creative writing program this July and August in Edinburgh! I've not even gone yet, and I'm telling people they should definitely go haha.

Yay! I am studying abroad in Scotland next spring. I will at Stirling University (about 30-45 minutes from Edinburgh). I know a grand total of 2 people who have been to Scotland so I have been trolling the internet for information.

Unfortunately I will not be taking a creative writing class while I am there but I will be taking one the semester before.

I hope the experience is stupendous and if you learn any insider tricks/cool places/cool people please let me know :D

AnthonyJones

Registered
Reaction score
MeganDuff - I'll definitely do that! I'm sure I'll be on here while I'm there with some info.

The Illusionist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinabrendel.blogspot.com
I need to post more - I leave for a bit and the thread gets 10 pages longer :p

& I'll join in with what everyone is saying: do a semester abroad, you really really should!

On flight related news: don't worry @Elysium, it will be fine! After you have done it for a while it is just like taking the bus/a car ride/etc. I'm going on my third flight this week tomorrow and it is going to be grueling: first I have to fly to London, then switch airports (because London has about 4 airports that are all like 2 hours away from each other, so much fun!) and then spend the night at the airport to catch an eight hour flight in the morning.

But I am not complaining (okay, I was for a bit there but I shouldn't and I am not really) because I get to go to St. Lucia (island in the Caribbean) for 10 days! My dad just relocated there and I get to live on a boat so am literally ON the ocean, yay! And I get to go windsurfing, and zip-lining, and and and! SO excited :D

Okay, I'm going to stop bragging now about my Caribbean getaway ;)

@Anthony: Edinburgh is super beautiful, a great city, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

@Smiley: Yay for the Europe trip! Even though I must admit I already knew because I am a little lurker on your blog, but I comment too so that makes it okay, right?

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
So, how typical is this: For the first time in MONTHS I've actually been making some progress on AM. I mean, I've written ~10k (give or take a hundred) in the past week and a half or so. And that's when life decides it's time for me to get one. *I* didn't want to get a life (outside of the computer :tongue), but it happened. At the most inopportune moment. Go figure.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Yay!!! I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU! :D

It took me like 4 hours today to write one scene. *rolls eyes*

cmtruesd

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Better than 0 words... which is were I'm at :-/. I just sit here and read over what I have while convincing myself that's being productive.

rynthewin

Plotting Princess
Registered
Reaction score
Write or Die, y'all. Write or Die.

:D

Amen to this. Write or Die and word wars are my favorite ways to add to my wordcount quickly.

Also, I'm very excited to have broken 12k on my novel! I officially have beaten First Draft 1.0's wordcount in significantly less time. I'm thinking that giving up my panster ways is what's helping.