Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ... 10141516171819202122232425263045 ... LastLast

Thread: College Students Writing For Teens

A place where dreams are born Bookgirl2021's Avatar
    In your head. I'm the little voice you hear all the time. And you thought that was your conscience!
    I think there are a couple/few grad students in here. I'm kind of debating going on to grad school when I finish, but it depends on if I do education. If I go into education, I'm getting a job, working for a few years, and *THEN* getting a masters.
    "Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead." ~Gene Fowler
    WIPs
    Awaking Melody: First round of revisions DONE! 104k

Mirror Effect: 2K/65K On hold

OLS: Editing

My Website/Personal Blog

Lurker, now activated. :-) Smiley0501's Avatar
    I'm planning to do graduate school in either 2013 or 2014. I missed the deadline for fall 2012 soooo.... yeah. I'm planning to go for my master's in library science.
    You can call me *~Smiley~*

needs to change her sheets legendary bum's Avatar
    Finals chewed me up and spit me out. Jesus, I'm glad it's summer.
    "Peoples are strange!

The things they are doing and saying--sometimes they make no sense. Did their brains fall out of their heads? And why so much saying, so much talking all the time day and night, all those words spilling out of those mouths? Why so much? Why don't they be quiet?"

-- Sharon Creech, The Unfinished Angel

In your head. I'm the little voice you hear all the time. And you thought that was your conscience!
    Tee hee... Getting paid to write is awesome. Even if it's only $3/~200 words.
    "Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead." ~Gene Fowler
    WIPs

My Website/Personal Blog

practical experience, FTW casualrungal's Avatar
    Another failed afternoon in the library -- made the mistake of keeping my WIP document pulled up while I was supposed to be studying for history. I kept going back and writing snippets, and then 2 hours later, I'd only gotten through 10 pages of reading... FML.

You know what's the worst? When everyone's done with finals and you're left with an exam on the last possible day! Horrible!

For those of you who are finished (I'm envious), how's your summer going so far? Reading lots? Any good book recommendations? How's writing going? Gahh I cannot WAIT to get home and do some hardcore revisions!

Does anyone have particular summer writing goals (i.e. finish your WIP, start querying, submitting, what have you)?
    Words, words, words

I have a goal that I've had for months, but haven't seemed to make myself stick to: finish Awaking Melody. I've been on the same section for...I don't even know how long anymore. I also need to work on revisions on One Lantern Short--most of which are expansions. Plus I'd kind of like to get started on Styx and Fire. ...We'll see how much I actually do....
    WIPs

My Website/Personal Blog

I heart sexy elves and wizards. fredXgeorge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiley0501 View Post
    fredxgeorge Where're you in Aus.? I studied there last year and absolutely loved it.

And sadly yes sometimes debt can be that much. I am very, very lucky in my case.
    That's really sad

Ooh cool. In Victoria, about an hour and a half away from Melbourne. Where did you study?
    Twitter

'Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.'
    - J.K. Rowling

just this history paper standing between me and summer, but I am getting nowhere

when you have no thesis it's doom, dooooom

practical experience, FTW casualrungal's Avatar
    You can do it, Choco!!!

I've got 2 exams left
    I think I can... I think I can...
    Words, words, words

we are the words 'i love you' kuwisdelu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roly View Post
    Any grad students in this thread?? I'm a 2nd year phD student, so I didn't know if I counted or if this was more for undergrads lol
    I don't know. *shrug*

I'm a PhD student.
    (a blog.) ...last updated 15 June 2015

Do you count as college student, if you're only doing online courses from your community college? >_>

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Channy - Of course that counts! You're enrolled in college, aren't you?

I really feel for all of you that still have exams. I finished last Wednesday, but my family flew in the same day for my graduation and they've kept me busy. They just left this morning, so I'm counting today as my first official day of summer! Woohoo!

Hello, I am a college-student writing for the young-adult/teens and wondered if I might join this party
    Please visit me on facebook and take a peek at the writings I have done!

Paige Lollie's Facebook

The Dream Words

BlackBelt FF.net

Haha, thanks.

but I have to ask, what's the major difference between teens writing for YA vs College student writing for YA. Is the couple year age gap really that impending?

Quote Originally Posted by Channy View Post
    Haha, thanks.

but I have to ask, what's the major difference between teens writing for YA vs College student writing for YA. Is the couple year age gap really that impending?
    The TWFT thread has been around for a few years, and about half the people on it have been on it since they were teens (even if they're not teens anymore--myself, Margo, and Para being among the oldest). They just stayed there partly because of community. This thread hasn't been around as long, and I think it was started by people who weren't sure where they belonged. So that's basically it. There's really not much of a difference, other than when people came on to AW. Those who've been here longer (since they were teens) tend to stick with TWFT, and those who join while they're in college/not teens but still young adults tend to just jump into this thread.
    WIPs

My Website/Personal Blog

Hello! I have returned from being away for the weekend and I got my grades...I am graduating college with a 3.2 (4.0 is highest). So proud of myself. I got all A's or A-'s this semester (minus 1 pesky C+ but that class was hard).
    I've also been reading quite a bit. Yay for having free time!

A 3.2 is pretty good. It's higher than what I've got right now. (-_-)

And I've actually been writing! Which is very happy.
    WIPs

My Website/Personal Blog

Woot for writing more!!!

Also, fredxgeorge, I studied in Brisbane. Loved it and did heaps of travelling. (Melbourne, South island of New Zealand, Sydney) I miss it a lot.

I've written about 1k since yesterday evening. That's 1k more than I've written in FOREVER.
    WIPs

My Website/Personal Blog

Keep at it, girl

I'm back to revising which feels oh so good. Hoping to have this thing completed by September. *whistles* Hopefully...

Oh, and I'm reading F@ult !n 0ur $tars.

For some reason I haven't been able to concentrate on any of my normal reading.... Maybe that would explain why it's been so difficult to write. I haven't been reading much, if at all....
    WIPs

My Website/Personal Blog

practical experience, FTW The Illusionist's Avatar
    You are all making me so jealous! My exams don't start until June and I won't be done for the summer until the end of June still almost two months to go!
    - Kat

Portable Magic - A blog about the wonderful world of words.

Twitter - Mostly all about anything book/publishing/writing/editing related.

Kat, you can get through it. Don't worry. I had a month of hellish school stuff (I didn't write or revise during that time); I know what it is like.

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to crash for a little while, make food, watch Sabrina the Teenage Witch, or try and push my way through this chapter of AM. ...I honestly don't know which option is the most tempting....
    WIPs

My Website/Personal Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Bookgirl2021 View Post
    For some reason I haven't been able to concentrate on any of my normal reading.... Maybe that would explain why it's been so difficult to write. I haven't been reading much, if at all....
    I'm having the opposite problem at the moment. I've been reading so much (I've gone through four books in five days) because I haven't been able to read for fun in so long. The problem is I've been spending too much time reading, and not enough time writing! Wherever you end up finding your motivation, will you look for mine? Maybe they're hiding out together.
    Amanda | @salerno__

Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ... 10141516171819202122232425263045 ... LastLast