College Students Writing For Teens

Lucia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chooseya.com
I'm a postgraduate (just, went into straight after my BA which was a 3 yr course), hello everyone! Glad to see more college/uni folk juggling courses and writing :)

NoGuessing

Buzz
Registered
Reaction score
In my final year, and I'm starting to think the thread title is an oxymoronic phrase.

I tip my hat to all who write often through final year and postgrad. *looks for appropriate emoticon*

IrisFlower81

Flower Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Senior, here! I'm graduating this year, and it's going to be weird to be a legit adult--at least technically; I doubt I'll feel any different--and writing about the same stuff I've always liked writing about.

That said, my honors thesis this year was an adult novella, and it was certainly a new experience. I loved writing it, and will probably expand it into a novel, but it was weird to worry about things like what kinds of jobs my characters would have. :)

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember if I've ever posted on here or not, because I normally end up in the Teens Writing for Teens thread (even though I haven't been a teen for over three years). I'm sort of a junior this year, and just changed my major to history ed/creative writing. It should be interesting the next year or two..... Hopefully I'll still have time to write.

bri_ness

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone else find that when school is in crunch-time, you write more? :tongue Maybe it's just another procrastination method, maybe it's so I'm at least productive, or maybe it's because I know I need to write to get through high-stress situations. Whatever the reason, I'm grateful for it :)

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
I've hardly done any work on my WIP since school started last semester. Thankfully it's spring break, finally, and the only homework I have to do over it is a quiz on Friday. A whole week with an (almost) empty house and no school stuff. Writing should happen.

So, what are people in here working on?

EmilyBrooke

Queen of Gallifrey
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I'm finishing up my first year! It's been insanely busy so I had to set two of my WIPs to the side. And unfortunately, when I got a chance to read through one of them something wasn't clicking. So I'm doing a narrator change from MG to YA. Oh boy.

bickazer

someday we'll shine together
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I didn't notice a thread like this existed!

I've been working on a secondary world fantasy, but work on it has kinda died into a trickle over this past week. Kinda sad...I wrote 20K words on the first day I started and now I've stalled at around 60K words. Oh well, people aren't machines and all that. At least I have a clear idea where I'm going.

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
20k in one day is pretty impressive. In the last six months I've been luck to get 1.5k in a week. I think college has decided it's time for it to take over my life. I'm somewhere between 75-80k on my Sleeping Beauty retelling (...well, it's *kind of* a retelling....), and I've been there since...August or September, I think.

bickazer

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I feel kinda bad because I do have plenty of time (it helps that I don't socialize that often...) but I waste it all watching anime on the internet and whatnot instead of writing. It sucks because when I really hit my stride, I can write from sunrise to sunset with no interruptions, no kidding. Hence my 20K in one day. But that is a pretty rare occasion. XD

rockurself

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I feel kinda bad because I do have plenty of time (it helps that I don't socialize that often...) but I waste it all watching anime on the internet and whatnot instead of writing. It sucks because when I really hit my stride, I can write from sunrise to sunset with no interruptions, no kidding. Hence my 20K in one day. But that is a pretty rare occasion. XD

Wow. If I write all day I feel bad because then I'm not working on things I should actually be working on.. weekends are the best for me when it comes to writing :)

I have spring break coming up. One more exam. That's why I'm trying to get some writing down.

bickazer

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. If I write all day I feel bad because then I'm not working on things I should actually be working on.. weekends are the best for me when it comes to writing :)

I have spring break coming up. One more exam. That's why I'm trying to get some writing down.

Haha, well, I can only manage to do that on weekends or when I don't have any obligations. Oh, that wonderful summer where I wrote a novel in less than two months~

I'm definitely going to get some writing done during spring break too, though I'll also be scouting internship opportunities and so on so I don't know how much writing time I'll actually have >_>

Sweetwheat

Registered
Reaction score
being in college and writing can be so hard! Add to that work, and I feel like school's getting in the way :p :(

I see people talking about Spring Break-yay! My S B will be spent writing and rewriting and yeah:) I'm looking forward to that!

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
I feel bad because I have plenty of time to write. Well, not plenty, but a good amount. I get decent grades--except for in geology lol.

How many hours are ya'll taking? I'm taking 16 and a sophmore.

Only 5 more weeks of school for me until summer! so excited!

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
I have sixteen as well, but that's just the hours they're giving me credit for. I have four one-credit classes, two of which are twice a week for an hour, and one is four days a week for an hour. The other one is once a week for an hour and a half. The others are three credit-1.5 hrs/twice a week or 1hr/three times a week. Plus ridiculous amounts of homework.

EmilyBrooke

Queen of Gallifrey
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
That's not *too* bad, though. Depending on how big the difference is in age. What's your story about?

Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner! Anyway, I guess the age switch seems big to me because the narrator change is going from a thirteen-year-old male, to an eighteen-year-old male and fifteen-year-old female. Yup, dual perspectives. So I've got to completely re-write it. The voices of both narrators are very different from that of the original.

Ah, it's a bit hard to explain since so much of it needs to be changed. Some basics: It's called ERASED and is set in the future, when careers and places in society are determined by a series of tests each child must go through at the age of thirteen. My two main characters, Castor and Poppy, have a high level of intelligence (Castor) or a special skill that is needed (Poppy) so they have been 'erased' from society and taken to a secret location created by a rogue part of the government. Portions of their memories have been tampered with so they won't question authority, but Cas is beginning to remember things he shouldn't and needs Poppy's help in escaping so that he can find the family he was taken from.

As of right now there are plot holes galore and that was just a small piece of what the story includes, but the re-write and future edits will hopefully fix those up. :)

Also, in response to another question, I'm taking fifteen units! The semester ends in about a month, so things are getting hectic. D: This summer needs to arrive sooner!

bickazer

Registered
Reaction score
Emily, your story sounds fascinating. I have a soft spot for dystopias that involve tests, though. (cough so much like school life cough)

Whoo, spring break has finally begun for me! Here's hoping it will be a peaceful break with lots of time for writing...though I'm too tired to anything today. >_>

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I keep forgetting to stop by her more.

I'm a senior, chem major.

EmilyBrooke

Queen of Gallifrey
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Emily, your story sounds fascinating. I have a soft spot for dystopias that involve tests, though. (cough so much like school life cough)

I hope it sounds like a good kind of fascinating! I do love dystopian novels, although I'm hoping to move this in more of a science-fiction direction. :)

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
:hi: CSWFTs

20k in one day is pretty impressive. In the last six months I've been luck to get 1.5k in a week. I think college has decided it's time for it to take over my life. I'm somewhere between 75-80k on my Sleeping Beauty retelling (...well, it's *kind of* a retelling....), and I've been there since...August or September, I think.

I feel bad because I have plenty of time to write. Well, not plenty, but a good amount. I get decent grades--except for in geology lol.

How many hours are ya'll taking? I'm taking 16 and a sophmore.

Only 5 more weeks of school for me until summer! so excited!

Yep all of this is me. My spring break is here so I plan on getting some serious writing done on my current MS. The 16 hours I'm taking isn't so bad, it's just the particular classes. I loath science and find my sociology lecture class pointless. Don't get me started on how I feel about school altogether. Haha.

But I figure I'm likely to get more writing done than once I get out in the real world and have to...to...work. *ugh* :D. *fingers crossed on landing an awesome paid internship*

How goes everyone else's writing? :)