• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Musa Publishing

Danslak

Registered
Reaction score
Celina, thank you very much! I really didn't mean to be specific to you, but anyone from Musa! Thanks much for answering all of my questions about Musa so completely. I really support what you are trying to accomplish, and wish you the greatest success.

On a personal note on your medical issues, I've been through what you are now going through, and it ain't fun. Thank you very much for your personal reply. I really do know what you're going through.

I'm confused about the semantic argument of self-publishing I've been taken to task for. Can one not even mention the words? I thought I was very clear that I didn't want to self-publish, and gave a list of question for Musa specifically.

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
Self-pubbing threads tend to have lots of debate. Lots and lots of debate, flouncing & stuff even. So, maybe some folks prefer not to bring it up.

I'll say I pondered self-pubbing, but decided to submit to Musa before going that route. I felt they were a good fit for me, given what I had to offer. Very happily, they thought I was a good fit for them. I've had a very good experience editing my book & getting a cover design. My input was not only welcome, but expected. I didn't get my every whim catered to, but I got a better book.

It hasn't come out yet, so I'm just dipping my toe in the promotion aspect as of now.

Danslak

Registered
Reaction score
"I've asked these questions, and many more, to other publishers with absolutely no response. Given the ease of self-publishing, I find that odd."

I don't understand all your talk of self-publishing. That's not what THIS forum is for. Go to AW's self-publishing forum if that's what you want to talk about.

Oh, holy cow. "All this Talk?" Really? I've mentioned self-publishing as a form of introduction to a long list of questions to Musa, which Celina was so kind to answer.

And to the above question. Is it that unclear? My meaning is this: the industry has changed. If one could go it alone so easily (heaven forbid I use the words "self-publishing" again), why wouldn't epubs be more open to answering questions like Musa? That's all. No more than that. The above was a response to another question from another post that you've pulled out of context. Am I to pull the original Poster's question from this forum, and then quote it on another, so completely out of context as you've done here? All I did was answer a question to the best of my ability.

KTC, I really appreciate your earlier response. It informed me, and I will benefit from your experience. But let's not pile on because I answered a question using a term apparently banned from this thread.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
More than that, this just isn't the place for the debate, IMO. These threads are to discuss the publisher in question. Whether or not a person should self-publish instead of going with a publisher would be better suited for somewhere like the self-publishing forums or the Roundtable because the focus there is inevitably going to be self-publishing.

Honestly, though, if you're truly interested in the topic, I'd suggest reading one of the several threads already out there on the topic. As someone who often participates in the discussions, I can attest to a certain degree of fatigue with the topic.

Danslak

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Thank YOU Dave! You've muddled through my clearly muddy post that wasn't at all about self-publishing, but about Musa. I love that you've had a good experience with them so far. It does my heart good. I think anyone that's started a business understands Musa's growing pains, and I don't find them as dire as many do here. Thanks, Dave, for getting to the heart of my question and concerns.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm finishing up the edits on my first novel, and now what? Self-publish or go with an ebook publisher?

Or you could go with a print publisher, of which there are many variations.

Given the amount of LOVE/HATE to musa in this forum, not one has said "Self-publish!" Or said, "Here's a better publisher than Musa." Why?

Because this thread is here to discuss the specific benefits and drawbacks of working with Musa. If you want to discuss the pros and cons of self-publishing then you'll find plenty of appropriate places here, but this isn't it.

Just dipping my toe in at this point. Of course looking at others. No, not submitting to an agent. I admit, I don't know much about the publishing world outside of my limited experience and stories from friends who are neck deep. But in the film world, an agent that accepts unsolicited screenplays isn't much of an agent.

But you're in the book world now, not the film world. Almost all literary agents look at unsolicited submissions. Doing so is not a mark of incompetence. Without an agent you'll not be able to get your work seen by the bigger publishers, so if you want to aim at the top, you'll need one.

But this isn't the place to discuss agents: this is the place to discuss Musa.

I'd appreciate it if you'd try to keep threads on-topic, and to discuss various things in the appropriate places: AW is so big that if we're not all careful about that it will quickly get very messy.

Maybe you think that because Old Hack or Stacia or Uncle Jim are questioning my publishing house that I'm going to get insulted and raise hell.

Grrrrr!

But, since this answer was an epic and my incision is really screaming at me to lie down--not to mention the MIL shaking her finger at me from the door for sneaking my laptop open when I'm supposed to NOT sit up for a few weeks, the other questions will have to wait until I can go back through the thread for a little ways. I'll try to get to more of these tomorrow.

It's lovely to see you here, Celina, but you really shouldn't be doing this right now. Leave it to others to respond to the questions here, or wait until you're better. AW will wait: your health is too important.

I could ban you, you know. Ha!

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Given the amount of LOVE/HATE to musa in this forum, not one has said "Self-publish!" Or said, "Here's a better publisher than Musa." Why?

Okay, since you still don't seem to get it, let me take a stab at answering the 'why'.

It's because this thread on Musa is in the sub-forum of 'Bewares, Recommendations & Background Checks'. That means that the discussion is focused on background information about Musa, and any kind of 'beware' and 'recommendation' information -- of which this thread includes all three.

The discussion of 'Publisher X vs self-publishing' isn't appropriate to a sub-forum explictly about bewares, recommendation, and background checks on publishers.

Let's look at an analogy: a hypothetical restaurant review site.

If you wanted to see what people had to say about Gianni's Fine Italian Dining, you'd expect to see comments about the quality (or lack thereof) of the food, service, ambiance, and so on.

What you wouldn't expect to find is a discussion about Gianni's Fine Italian Dining vs cooking at home.

This analogy holds quite well, actually. Because you probably wouldn't expect to find any discussion anywhere about Gianni's Fine Italian Dining vs cooking at home. You'd expect to find places where you could discuss the relative pros and cons of eating out vs cooking at home, but a specific restaurant vs cooking at home? Not so much.

Similarly, the question really isn't 'Musa vs self-publishing'; otherwise, we'd have to have that same discussion in every single publisher's thread. The question you're asking is 'commercial publishing vs self-publishing', and that discussion has a place in the Self-Publishing and POD subforum.

And as far as why so many here are keying on that question, well, as an experienced writer of non-fiction you ought to know that by asking that question first, you've made it appear to be one of the most important questions you have. That's the nature of written rhetoric. :)

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Wasn't so concerned with dovetailing. I was more curious as to why those in this thread were excited about Musa rather than self-publishing. As I said, I'm new here, but found it odd that no post mentioned that alternative to a new company.

As others have said, it's because this thread exists specifically to discuss Musa. The assumption is that if people are researching Musa they've already decided they want to go with a publisher rather than self-publishing; that's the base assumption of all the Bewares threads, actually, that one is asking questions about Publisher A or Agent B because that's the route they want to go.

If you truly have spent a month or so reading the forum, I'm honestly confused as to why you're even asking this question.

My apologies if I gave that impression. It wasn't my intent. I do think the concerns are valid, hence my questions. And possibly my definition of "better" is different than yours.

Perhaps they are. By "better" Giant Baby means larger, with a longer record of being in business successfully, more name recognition, a larger audience, and bigger distribution.

Well, as you mention, this is a "Musa" thread. I would ask the same questions of any publisher.

What question? "Why should I go with you instead of self-publishing?" Why would you ask that? The benefits of each are pretty clearly established in all sorts of places. It's not a publisher's job to sell themselves to writers or to help you decide how you want your book published. That's up to you. (Also, many, many of us do not particularly WANT to self-publish; we want the benefits of a real publisher, so the idea that publishers should be desperately begging writers for just a second of their time is rather silly, don't you think? They have much more important things to do, like fill bookstores with books readers actually want to buy and read. And readers--around whom the business revolves and for whom the business exists--want them to keep doing it, so that the readers themselves do not have to plow through thousands of titles of unedited slush looking for the one readable book that might be there.)

Being new, Musa is forthcoming with answers. Established publishers, not so much. My current publisher is one of the largest on the planet. They pretend to listen, then do what they want. Musa seems to actually listen. I'm friends with authors who've had multiple novels published through Random House and Simon and Schuster. In the mid 90s, they were very much into working with the author. Not so much today.

I'm published with both Random House and S&S, and that has not remotely been my experience. Not remotely.

I'd rather go with a publisher that I can work with. Having gone down this road already, I think, rightly or wrongly, I know my audience. I know what they expect. I know what covers work, and what interior design works.

I think authors often think they know this, and are often wrong, but if you're so confident you know better than a publisher, why are you considering publishers?

Plus, marketing for fiction and non-fiction are extremely different.

In my real life, I save movies for a living. Every movie I salvaged got a distribution deal. No small feat. 98% of movies made, don't. I feel that Hollywood and publishing aren't so different, in the end.

I don't know Hollywood well enough to make that judgment absolutely, but it's certainly not the impression I've gotten from everything I know about publishing.

Just dipping my toe in at this point. Of course looking at others. No, not submitting to an agent. I admit, I don't know much about the publishing world outside of my limited experience and stories from friends who are neck deep. But in the film world, an agent that accepts unsolicited screenplays isn't much of an agent. Granted, they do the best they can, but in the end, need to pay the rent. That can cause all sorts of problems, and won't get you the best deal, I'm afraid. The slush pile is a hard row to hoe. Possibly your experience is different, and would love to hear about it.

And this is proof that your belief that the two industries are the same is completely erroneous.

I suggest you read some of the other threads in this forum--"How Real Publishing Works" is a good place to start, right here in Bewares--and learn more about publishing before you apply the standards of another industry to it.

ebooks are a new world for me. I'm just asking questions to get a feel for it. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

No one is offended. We just don't understand why you're being combative and aggressive about the way discussions here are going and telling us all there's something wrong with that, when they're going the way they should according to the policies and standards of the community and what our members are comfortable with. You've essentially walked into our costume party and demanded to know why we're all dressed funny, and seem to feel we should change outfits to suit you.

I haven't seen you ask any questions specifically about epublishing/ebooks, either, just about what makes submitting to a specific epublisher better than self-publishing. (And if you want to learn about ebooks/epublishing, why not try the Epublishing forum, where your questions would be appropriate and would be answered and discussed?)

In addition, if you'd read this thread you must have known Celina was out having surgery, so your demand that she answer your questions now was rather...well, aggressive, again.

Have you read the Newbie Guide?

Welcome to the forums! I do hope you stick around. If you want to learn about publishing there's no better place for it, IMO.

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
...We just don't understand why you're being combative and aggressive about the way discussions here are going and telling us all there's something wrong with that, when they're going the way they should according to the policies and standards of the community and what our members are comfortable with. You've essentially walked into our costume party and demanded to know why we're all dressed funny, and seem to feel we should change outfits to suit you.

I'll admit up front that I'm one paranoid S.O.B. And that (clearly) colors what I see in cases like this.

But I can't help looking at Danslak's apparent fixation on bringing general publishing questions into this discussion as a form of diversionary tactic. I won't extend perception that into his/her motives.

The discussion of everyone's perceptions here has led me to hold off from querying Musa until such time as an agent leads me that way or they build a record of overcoming the concerns expressed herein.

And a side discussion about epubbing isn't going to help. Not here.

LillyPu

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
LMAO! You guys think Musa has gotten the kid glove treatment?
Well, at least you're laughing... :) I was only voicing my observation as a newcomer with no biases, or deep benches. As a writer, observation is my best asset. Or was...

I'm glad I've been told I'm wrong, because reading through all these background threads was making me too militant, and it's nice to see I've been wrong on some of those accounts, too.

Get well soon! :)

Danslak

Registered
Reaction score
Or you could go with a print publisher, of which there are many variations.

Because this thread is here to discuss the specific benefits and drawbacks of working with Musa. If you want to discuss the pros and cons of self-publishing then you'll find plenty of appropriate places here, but this isn't it.

Thanks, Mr. Hack. I really didn't want to discuss the pros and cons of self-publishing. Nor am I interested in print publishing. I like the royalty that epubs supply, especially Musa.

But you're in the book world now, not the film world. Almost all literary agents look at unsolicited submissions. Doing so is not a mark of incompetence. Without an agent you'll not be able to get your work seen by the bigger publishers, so if you want to aim at the top, you'll need one.

Thank you for that. Nice to know. But in the end, I'd rather not go with a big house, even if they'd have me.

But this isn't the place to discuss agents: this is the place to discuss Musa.

Yes, someone asked me about agents here on this forum about Musa, and I was just answering their question.

I'd appreciate it if you'd try to keep threads on-topic, and to discuss various things in the appropriate places: AW is so big that if we're not all careful about that it will quickly get very messy.

Yes, I will now ignore all questions and comments asked of me that have nothing to do with Musa. I thought I only used the self-publishing thing as a way of introduction to myself, and that Musa seems to understand the changes between them and the old way of doing things based on their royalty structure. I find their business model interesting, but given the firestorm I started, I now know that I should have limited my post to those questions I had for Musa, and ignored those asked of me having nothing to do with Musa.

Celina answered those questions very completely and with grace. Though I didn't expect to hear from her personally, or at least until she was up and about.

And I do appreciate those that got the point of my post and were so helpful with their experience with Musa.

Deleted member 42

Thanks, Mr. Hack. I really didn't want to discuss the pros and cons of self-publishing. Nor am I interested in print publishing. I like the royalty that epubs supply, especially Musa.

It behooves writers to be careful readers and careful writers.

If you do not know the sex of a poster, refer to them via said poster's user name, to wit Old Hack.

In this case, Old Hack is Jane Smith, publishing professional. You could even be ultra clever and start clicking links in signatures.

But let's not assume masculine as a default, especially when a User Name is dead easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Angela

Named For a Song...
Registered
Reaction score
*grabs rope*

*frowns at Celina*

My dear Lady, do we have to tie you to the bed to make you get some rest?? :kiss:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
*grabs rope*

*frowns at Celina*

My dear Lady, do we have to tie you to the bed to make you get some rest?? :kiss:

'Round about these parts, that's likely to be a goal as much as a punishment.
:whip:

LillyPu

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Is this the wrong thread to ask the question "What is the pay rate for editors, and how are the editors paid?"

http://musapublishing.blogspot.com/p/employment.html

I searched the 'paying markets' threads, but got lost... I'd like to know the pay and method of pay to see whether it's worth sending a resume or not.

Last edited:

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Is this the wrong thread to ask the question "What is the pay rate for editors, and how are the editors are paid?"

http://musapublishing.blogspot.com/p/employment.html

I searched the 'paying markets' threads, but got lost... I'd like to know the pay and method of pay to see whether it's worth sending a resume or not.
Unless you're planning on applying for the job, it doesn't matter to you - as an author. The most important thing to consider is whether the editing is quality, and you can tell this by reading a publisher's books.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
priceless1, I have to disagree. As a writer who is also an editor, I wouldn't want to publish with a press that didn't pay editors fairly (not suggesting that this is the case with Musa; just pointing out why I think LillyPu's question is a reasonable one).

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Unless you're planning on applying for the job, it doesn't matter to you - as an author. The most important thing to consider is whether the editing is quality, and you can tell this by reading a publisher's books.

If she's thinking about sending a resume, it seems like she's planning on, or at least considering, applying for the job.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'd actually consider sending one as well, but the part that I'm not certain about is having to edit for each imprint. I'm not a big fan of YA, for example, and I don't know much about romance, either. Do most publishers do this, or is this more of a copy editing thing? While I think I could do a great job in certain areas, I'd not be confident in my skills at all in other genres.