• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Musa Publishing

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Thank you! Our art director, Kelly Shorten, is in my totally biased opinion one of the best cover artists in the business. I'm really proud of the books we've turned out at Musa, and the covers and branding are a key part of that.

I look forward to seeing your submission.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Celina, I think you need to get your tech folks to fix something on the site. When creating an account, the 'State/Province' field is required, but there are no valid values for non-US/US military/US territory/Canadian addresses. I think you need to add an 'N/A' value so folks in other countries can join.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
I just downloaded some of the freebie stories from Musa and read Snooping Around Snowflake. I'm impressed because most freebies tend to be substandard, and this was a solid short story with a nicely romantic ending. I can't wait to read the rest--along with the scifi story I bought.

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Celina, I think you need to get your tech folks to fix something on the site. When creating an account, the 'State/Province' field is required, but there are no valid values for non-US/US military/US territory/Canadian addresses. I think you need to add an 'N/A' value so folks in other countries can join.

Thanks, Terie. I sent your message to the Musa techno-monkeys and the problem is now resolved. I really appreciate you letting me know. (All the computer stuff? WHOOSH! Right over my head.)

:ROFL:

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I just downloaded some of the freebie stories from Musa and read Snooping Around Snowflake. I'm impressed because most freebies tend to be substandard, and this was a solid short story with a nicely romantic ending. I can't wait to read the rest--along with the scifi story I bought.

Thanks, Michael. I hope you enjoy the book and am glad that you liked the free reads. Our free reads will remain up until the end of the year, so you have plenty of time to go download the others.

Anna L.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annafrost.ca
Now that the contract is signed and it's too late for them to change their mind :)tongue), I'm pleased to say I have signed with Musa for their Euterpe imprint.

For those yet waiting, my stats:
Query: September 29
Full request: October 12
Offer: December 6

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now that the contract is signed and it's too late for them to change their mind :)tongue), I'm pleased to say I have signed with Musa for their Euterpe imprint.

For those yet waiting, my stats:
Query: September 29
Full request: October 12
Offer: December 6
Me, too. I keep waiting for an email that says "JUST KIDDING! CHANGED OUT MINDS! P.S.: Neener!"

I've worked with mscelina before and I can honestly say it was very tough but very informative. She really put her spurs into me because, like me, she believed in my work and wanted it to be the very best it possibly could.

Anna L.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annafrost.ca
Thank you, Filigree and Sissybaby.

I love the timing. Christmas won't be as awkward as usual when certain family members start telling me that writing is a waste of time.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I know Musa opens back up in January. How long were the response times running, before Nov. 15? I'm doing multiple submissions starting in January, with some publishers running as little as 3 weeks, and others up to 4 months. I'm trying to schedule my queries accordingly.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Well, by the time this YA novel is complete, you'll be open! Although I don't think it'll be ready until March. I estimate completion late January, then a month or so to polish and edit over and over! :) Talk about should be writing right about now...

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I know Musa opens back up in January. How long were the response times running, before Nov. 15? I'm doing multiple submissions starting in January, with some publishers running as little as 3 weeks, and others up to 4 months. I'm trying to schedule my queries accordingly.

It depends on the sector of Musa you're submitting to. Initial response times are very fast--usually 2-3 days. For a response on a full, Musa proper was running at 2-3 weeks, the Urania speculative fiction imprint at 3-4 weeks, and the Euterpe YA imprint significantly longer at 6-8 weeks on a requested full. I don't intend to reopen Euterpe to submissions until the queue of manuscripts is caught up, so they may not reopen to YA queries until a couple of weeks after the rest of Musa.

All Musa submissions go to the same address: [email protected].

Last edited:

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
It seems to good to be true... Musa would really consider my 3k word horror short story? I was going to submit it to anthology that I got wind of but Musa is much better! Are my eyes seeing correctly? You'd really consider it?

If so, two questions:
1) Do I just send the entire short story instead of the first 20 pages?
2) Do I really need a synopsis of something that's only a little over 3k words?

Thanks! And if my eyes failed me and a 3k word short is not acceptable, my apologies. :)

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, here's the Musa thought on short stories.

As a poor writer myself, I am very well aware that the markets for short stories are few and most of them pay like crap. So one of the experiments we're running at Musa involves shorter fiction. We are releasing short fiction as stand-alone, royalty paying ebooks. Those short stories get all the same treatments as novellas and novels--editing, cover art, the whole nine yards.

BUT--

And there's always a but.

I prefer our short fiction ebooks to be at least 5k--so I'd almost certainly want to see a pairing of short stories that can be printed together. The short fiction I'm currently publishing is primarily in the Urania or Thalia imprints--both speculative fiction--although at the moment, the highest selling short stories I have are a mystery and a historical fiction (non-romance).

One other thing to keep in mind here--Amazon will only pay us 30% royalties on a .99 cent ebook--which leaves 15% for the writer (net) on that particular site. But the other third party retailers we use--ARE/Omni, Smashwords, Barnes and Noble etc etc are (I believe) still remitting the usual royalty percentage per book sold. Ideally, a writer of short fiction would send their established readership to Musa's home site so that the author (and Musa) can benefit from the 50/50 split per cover price.

And that being said--I am VERY persnickety about the short fiction I accept for publication through Musa. There are benefits (short fiction rarely needs any substantial editorial work, for example) and detriments (I'm putting cover art and interior book design into a low profit-margin product) to working with short fiction in this way. So (aside from a writer like Homer Eon Flint) my editorial standard is cranked up several notches when evaluating short fiction.

And if you write in speculative fiction, we do have the Penumbra e-Mag releasing monthly and are in the beginning stages of developing a romance genre e-Mag as well.

Personally, I believe in short fiction--mostly because my middle name is epic, and it physically hurts me to write anything less than 70k--and want to see how it will fare in the new opportunities within the e-reading market. We want to expand the possibilities for writers of short fiction or serials because my hunch is that the market is perfect for that kind of literature. So in this, our first year of experimentation, we want to see how such a deal will work--both for our authors and ourselves.

For you specifically--3k is a just little short for what I'm looking for, but that doesn't mean an absolute NO. We reopen for external submissions next week. If you're sending on a short story or pairing, please just embed the story into your query email with a basic, one-paragraph synopsis (no, I don't want any synopses longer than the stories). If I like what I see, we'll discuss the story and the different options available for you at Musa. I'm treating short fiction on a case by case basis.

Last edited:

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I really appreciate the detailed reply! So I guess I'll submit it as is and if you like it I can always expand it a little more or we can try it in Penumbra?
Thank you. :)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, here's the Musa thought on short stories.

As a poor writer myself, I am very well aware that the markets for short stories are few and most of them pay like crap. So one of the experiments we're running at Musa involves shorter fiction. We are releasing short fiction as stand-alone, royalty paying ebooks. Those short stories get all the same treatments as novellas and novels--editing, cover art, the whole nine yards.

BUT--

And there's always a but.

I prefer our short fiction ebooks to be at least 5k--so I'd almost certainly want to see a pairing of short stories that can be printed together. The short fiction I'm currently publishing is primarily in the Urania or Thalia imprints--both speculative fiction--although at the moment, the highest selling short stories I have are a mystery and a historical fiction (non-romance).

One other thing to keep in mind here--Amazon will only pay us 30% royalties on a .99 cent ebook--which leaves 15% for the writer (net) on that particular site. But the other third party retailers we use--ARE/Omni, Smashwords, Barnes and Noble etc etc are (I believe) still remitting the usual royalty percentage per book sold. Ideally, a writer of short fiction would send their established readership to Musa's home site so that the author (and Musa) can benefit from the 50/50 split per cover price.

And that being said--I am VERY persnickety about the short fiction I accept for publication through Musa. There are benefits (short fiction rarely needs any substantial editorial work, for example) and detriments (I'm putting cover art and interior book design into a low profit-margin product) to working with short fiction in this way. So (aside from a writer like Homer Eon Flint) my editorial standard is cranked up several notches when evaluating short fiction.

And if you write in speculative fiction, we do have the Penumbra e-Mag releasing monthly and are in the beginning stages of developing a romance genre e-Mag as well.

Personally, I believe in short fiction--mostly because my middle name is epic, and it physically hurts me to write anything less than 70k--and want to see how it will fare in the new opportunities within the e-reading market. We want to expand the possibilities for writers of short fiction or serials because my hunch is that the market is perfect for that kind of literature. So in this, our first year of experimentation, we want to see how such a deal will work--both for our authors and ourselves.

For you specifically--3k is a just little short for what I'm looking for, but that doesn't mean an absolute NO. We reopen for external submissions next week. If you're sending on a short story or pairing, please just embed the story into your query email with a basic, one-paragraph synopsis (no, I don't want any synopses longer than the stories). If I like what I see, we'll discuss the story and the different options available for you at Musa. I'm treating short fiction on a case by case basis.
This is interesting. I had no idea there were options other than the themed subs of shorts to Penumbra. To date, I've had no stories appropriate for Penumbra. I'll have to give a look and maybe, just maybe finish some that I think might be the sort of thing you're looking for for the non-Penumbra stuff.

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I will consider short stories or short story pairings in any imprint at Musa for stand-alone e-books.

My thought is this: with e-readers gaining popularity and so many people reading on their phones at lunch or on commutes, the short story is the PERFECT medium for a lot of the e-reading market. So with our short story program, we're focusing on high quality shorter fiction that will satisfy that part of the market. Also, I think it's a great idea to allow writers of short fiction to have the opportunity to earn money from their work that's not just one and done. At five cents a word (pro rates and what we pay at Penumbra) a 3500 word short story earns an author $175 US dollars. Then, it's really hard to sell that story again because the first rights are burned and first rights are what every publisher wants to have.

But if an author, over the course of a three year contract, can sell 100 downloads of their short story a YEAR, they'll exceed that payment amount.

Now, I do not want anyone to get me wrong here. As with novella or novel-length fiction, a writer needs to weigh their options carefully. Which is more important--the longevity of a piece? The all at once payment? Being part of a prestigious magazine or having cover art and editorial assistance? These are questions that I cannot and will not answer for a writer. Those questions, writers must answer for themselves.

Right now, all our short stories are cross-sold between the imprint that hosts their genre and our Polyhymnia imprint, which is for short stories, serials, anthologies and collections. That way, a story has two ways to sell--and the Polyhymnia imprint will be like one-stop shopping for short fiction. And, with the Homer Eon Flint collection beginning its release on January 15, I'm anticipating a lot of traffic in that imprint. Since we're releasing all his lost works and unpublished MSS in addition to his well-known classic works, and everything is going through Polyhymnia in our Musa Gold line, I think short stories attached to the same main page will benefit. Flint was an early pulp fiction writer--and we're using him as a model for our short fiction lines. Personally, I would *love* to see serial stories make a strong combat. One of AW's own, Gini Koch, is doing some serial sci fi and paranormal for us (under various names besides her best-known one) and she's selling very well.

So we shall see. Remember all the times throughout your literary past where you prefaced a sentence with, "If I was a publisher, I'd *insert blahblahblah here*!"

Well, if nothing else, I never get to make THAT comment again.