• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Musa Publishing

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Points to the efficacy of using Twitter to sell anything, I suspect. Sorry to hear about those totals, though.

Almost all of Musa's sales were dire. I really feel for all of its authors. I also sympathise with the people behind Musa who set out in good faith, and obviously worked hard to make it the best it could be. The problem was that its business plan was flawed: if they'd taken on fewer books, and focused more on each one, rather than trying to produce books in bulk, I think they might have done a lot better.

Moving on: Twitter can work really well as a sales tool where books are concerned. I know: I've seen it done, and I've been indirectly involved in several campaigns there. But a strong, well-structured Twitter campaign does not involve getting authors to tweet endlessly about their books; nor does it involve getting all of a publisher's authors to co-promote. It needs people--writers and publicists--who are genuinely engaged with their followers, who sign on to Twitter regularly and have a lot of fun there, and who talk relatively little about their books. Send out a whole raft of review copies to your Twitter followers and if they like it, they'll tweet about it, and their friends will hear about it, and the word will spread.

All you do if you're banging on about your own book all the time is alienate people.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Send out a whole raft of review copies to your Twitter followers and if they like it, they'll tweet about it, and their friends will hear about it, and the word will spread.

All you do if you're banging on about your own book all the time is alienate people.

Next time, I'll try giving away more free books, but I only had a limited amount. The four or five Twitter friends who read my books always said kind things about them and I appreciate it.

I rarely talk about my books on Twitter -- maybe a mention once every month or so -- I value the interaction instead. I know that the most successful authors rarely pimp their books - maybe a little squee on release day.

My point was that I tweeted maybe ten times over the last two days of my book's life before the doors closed on The Bitches (possibly forever) when the book was a mere 80 cents. It was worth a shot, but it didn't take.

I realize that getting other people to talk about your books is a key strategy, and that talking about your own book all the time is NOT a good strategy.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There was one Musa author who for a while posted three for four Facebook updates per day to stimulate discussion about his books. "Suppose you had to make a choice between X and Y. What would you do? Buy [Title] and find out what So-and-So did." Alienated me after the second post. Later I checked his sales on Delphi: less than 10. Convinced me not to go the same route.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Still, the promotion wasn't completely up to us. It would have really, really helped if Musa had done more than they had. I did what I could within my limited scope, expecting somebody at their end to do something, as well. I only heard about my books on the review sites or blogs once (didn't even notice an uptick after the blog tours I did). Like everybody else, I didn't want to over promote on my personal outlets so I wouldn't appear totally obnoxious (P.S.: I'm not on Twitter, having deleted my account after about three months when I'd noticed everything I was already posting on Facebook was usually under 140 characters, anyway!)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Next time, I'll try giving away more free books, but I only had a limited amount. The four or five Twitter friends who read my books always said kind things about them and I appreciate it..

It's a publisher's job to send out review copies, not a writer's. Sending them out isn't enough: you need to know who best to send them to, and how to use social media to generate the buzz which will make those review copies a desirable commodity. Writers should do some promotion, but they need to be sure that a capable, experienced publicist is also working on their behalf. Because the best reveiwers, the ones people listen to, often won't even look at books which come direct from writers; they'll need press packs, not just the review copies, too; and writers don't have the same contacts, the same resources that good book publicists have.

In other words, you did as well as you could for your Musa titles. Musa should have supported you more when it came to promotion.