AW Amazon Affiliate Store

MiblArt offers book cover design services for self-published authors and publishing companies.

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1119

Thread: The Triolet Trail

Threaded View

Has a few recurring issues kborsden's Avatar

The Triolet Trail

The triolet is somewhat of a rarity, maybe because some incorrectly see it as little more than a shorter (and therefore also easier) version of a pantoum or villanelle. This poem and thread sparked an idea - we've had the Haiku Chain (many of them), the Cinquain Train (2 I know of), now I'd like to suggest the first Triolet Trail.

A triolet is a poem consisting of two stanzas of four verses each (8 verses in total) - however the metric count is independent of the form, so tetrameter, pentameter, hexameter, heptameter, octameter etc all acceptable, even in alternation or each verse its own - but anything above hexameter would be rather imposing to come across and quite a challenge to write (especially, say, octameter). The tri (3) in the triolet is reference to the first verse appearing 3 times: verse 1, verse 4, verse 7. Additionally the 2nd verse is repeated also as the final verse and the rhyme scheme is strict ABAA ABAB. Sometimes stanzas are presented as a single merged stanza - as I suggest we do in this thread.

So as to function for a game - the 2nd verse which is repeated as the last verse of every triolet will function as the first verse of the following triolet - a visual diagram to elucidate:

(number is the verse in repetition, x is non repeated verse, letter is rhyme)

1A
    2B
    xA
    1A
    xA
    xB
    1A
    2B

Every new post will use verse 2 of the previous poem as verse 1... does that make sense?

As a show of good will - and because I just have to, I'll go first:

For a time, watching the willow,
    enveloped in its obscure gloves:
    green snakes that catch the soft billows
    for a time. Watching the willow
    in sights caught close in cloud pillows
    as precedents of lucid love --
    for, a time, watching the willow
    enveloped in its obscured gloves.

Your line to start: enveloped in its obscure gloves

Extra Information: Anyone feeling suitably inspired by this thread or thinking of exploring the possibilities for publishing repeating forms such as triolet, pantoum, villanelle, rondeau, sestina etc should pop over to Tilt-a-Whirl magazine. As can be expected - polish your offering, then polish again -- and make sure to read the guidelines thoroughly before you submit. They even have a cheat sheet to help you tighten up your piece prior to submission.

note: tilt-a-whirl magazine closed its doors in August 2014, but is still available as an archived resource.
    Last edited by kborsden; 02-18-2016 at 09:36 AM.
    Kieran Borsden
    "to be born Welsh, is to be born--not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but with song in your heart, and poetry in your soul"

-->Read Me

Got to write an Englyn or 2