• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Pub svcs] BookBaby

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
This seems to be a new place. Anyone have any experience dealing with them?

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Link?

Never mind, here's the Book Baby address.

The way I read it, for a fast $99.00, they'll post your ebook for you on the major sites (B&N, Amazon, Smashwords).

To me that sounds like a good deal. If you give them a word file, they'll format it. I guess they'll market it, too, for an extra fee.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
It's $99 for the "distribution" $39 for formatting and $99 for cover art. Perhaps more fees once you start down the path.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I've got my own cover art. So, 138 for everything isn't bad. That's for a word file. I guess from the original book if you're reissuing an out of print book, it's much more. Anyway, I just found out they're part of CD Baby. Which is a pretty decent outfit, no?

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
How is $138 for something you could do for free a good deal?

They won't do the formating for you. They'll convert the file. They specifically ask you to format your document to make the conversion trivial for them:
http://www.bookbaby.com/help/preparingforconversion

For actual formatting, they charge you $150 an hour:
http://www.bookbaby.com/pricing

There's a free program called Calibre that'll do everything they're offering to do. I use it all the time to read my manuscripts and betas' manuscripts on my Nook. Calibre's website is here: http://calibre-ebook.com/about

These places make money by feeding aspiring authors the idea that self-publishing an e-book is a complicated and impossible-to-learn process. It's not.

Last edited:

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Katrina. I just bookmarked this site. The novel I'm reissuing as an ebook is already in Word. The only unusual aspect is that it will contain anywhere from one to five of my songs that the reader can download (if I can figure out how to do that).

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
You mean songs that the reader would download the device they're listening on?

Hmm... that's an interesting idea, I know most e-readers can technically play music, but I'm not sure I've heard of downloading from a book. You might want to check up on some support forums to see if that's possible.

Good luck.