AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Pub svcs] BookBaby

[Pub svcs] BookBaby

This seems to be a new place. Anyone have any experience dealing with them?

Link?

Never mind, here's the Book Baby address.

The way I read it, for a fast $99.00, they'll post your ebook for you on the major sites (B&N, Amazon, Smashwords).
    Last edited by PortableHal; 08-09-2011 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Added a lihk
    "Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all." -- William Goldman, The Princess Bride

Quote Originally Posted by PortableHal View Post
    Link?

Never mind, here's the Book Baby address.

The way I read it, for a fast $99.00, they'll post your ebook for you on the major sites (B&N, Amazon, Smashwords).
    To me that sounds like a good deal. If you give them a word file, they'll format it. I guess they'll market it, too, for an extra fee.

Banned
    Formatting isn't as easy as it appears, and I've seen many blunders in the ebooks I've read. So I'd make sure you've read some of their ebooks before taking the plunge.

It's $99 for the "distribution" $39 for formatting and $99 for cover art. Perhaps more fees once you start down the path.

I've got my own cover art. So, 138 for everything isn't bad. That's for a word file. I guess from the original book if you're reissuing an out of print book, it's much more. Anyway, I just found out they're part of CD Baby. Which is a pretty decent outfit, no?

How is $138 for something you could do for free a good deal?

They won't do the formating for you. They'll convert the file. They specifically ask you to format your document to make the conversion trivial for them:
    http://www.bookbaby.com/help/preparingforconversion

For actual formatting, they charge you $150 an hour:
    http://www.bookbaby.com/pricing

There's a free program called Calibre that'll do everything they're offering to do. I use it all the time to read my manuscripts and betas' manuscripts on my Nook. Calibre's website is here: http://calibre-ebook.com/about

These places make money by feeding aspiring authors the idea that self-publishing an e-book is a complicated and impossible-to-learn process. It's not.
    Last edited by Katrina S. Forest; 08-11-2011 at 12:35 PM.
    "An honest answer is like a warm hug." - Proverbs 24:26 (The Message)

My short story collection, "The Poisoned City", is now available!

Thanks Katrina. I just bookmarked this site. The novel I'm reissuing as an ebook is already in Word. The only unusual aspect is that it will contain anywhere from one to five of my songs that the reader can download (if I can figure out how to do that).

You mean songs that the reader would download the device they're listening on?

Hmm... that's an interesting idea, I know most e-readers can technically play music, but I'm not sure I've heard of downloading from a book. You might want to check up on some support forums to see if that's possible.

Good luck.
    "An honest answer is like a warm hug." - Proverbs 24:26 (The Message)

My short story collection, "The Poisoned City", is now available!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Added editing services this year: https://www.bookbaby.com/book-editing-services/
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: