Game concepts and ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakman217

Mage and Zombie killer
Registered
Reaction score
I am putting this up to see if anyone has any interesting or unheard of game concepts that might be interesting in practice, and to see what people think of the ideas.

To start I will say my two game concepts.

1) A three tier strategy game where you can control the whole empire, zoom in and control larger battlefields, zoom in and control specific troop movement. You set the objectives, you make the enemies and allies, you make not only empire changing decisions but also change strategy over the front and tactics over the battlefield. Throw on top of this warmongering, empire building and technological advancement (Similar to the Civ games) and eventual interstellar (potentially intergalactic) expansion, with realism and actual technology and progress (Kind of like spore only with technology advancements in the space stage mixed with Sins of a Solar Empire) where you have to not only bombard planets but conquer and hold them with soldiers on the ground.

2) A simulated war. You have generals making the strategy, commanders making the tactics, and soldiers fighting for the goal. All positions are filled with real people, and all are realistic in that you don't just run around in a team deathmatch, but that you actually get an impact from dying. There is a point to survive, not to just run around and be an idiot shooting anything that moves. Making it feel like a real war is the whole point. The goals are set and commanders can both warn and lead soldiers in the right direction. Also, throw in some tactical and strategic weapons for effect and consequences.

Anyway, what do you think of these and please share any ideas or concepts that you have.

Jakman217

Mage and Zombie killer
Registered
Reaction score
I have heard of the first, but I don't think you understand my scope, I mean from somewhere near the stone age to beyond the stars, that is the idea. Also, I never played Eve but I didn't think it was like that, I didn't think it was empire building. I thought it was a role play thing where you're part of the empires, not controlling them.

The second, never heard of it... Edit: Just looked at it and it was nothing like I was thinking. I meant a realistic, nitty-gritty war. A realistic scenario with the opposite sides are on foot, in tanks, and in planes. Also real people control the movement of forces in battle and control whole armies. The people set the objectives and make the strategic choices. The most realistic scenario, not some kiddy shooter with battle mechs and futuristic body armor. I mean COD style in real war, if you understand what I'm saying.

Also, do you have any concepts or interesting ideas?

Last edited:

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Well, I have dozens of game concepts - an MMO with more emphasis on the interactive story elements and no prescriptive classes, a pet breeding game, a couple of adventure game and single player rpg/dating sim/farming sim concepts, something with a tcg deck building battle system... I kinda got discouraged about talking about them though, sinc it's pretty clear none of them will ever get made. :(

For the concepts in the first post here, well I'm not a fan of gritty realistic war. I like humorous fsf adventure with a bit of romance and a little psychodrama/melodrama.

BlackHatBlueScarf

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, Planetside is far from kiddy. Granted, the violence isn't graphic and the gore is low, but there ARE Tanks (The Mechs came in later and admittedly ruined the game) - Light Tanks, Planes, light vehicles, transports, Dropships, Anti-Air Vehicles, bases to defend and attack, defenses to put up, and there are commander players who do tell the forces where the actual players are to go. There is a command chain where the lower level commanders can report up to the higher ones, and the higher ones can speak to the entire continent at will. Squads of 30 are common, and there are typically up to 9 squads on a single continent. Strategies are made and every player has the free choice to do as they please.

Scenario - One map has a base that is a Tech Plant - Tech Plants are valuable as you can produce the more powerful vehicles (Did I mention bigger vehicles require more players to gun) that is connected to the Drop Ship Center or a Bio Plant. Bio Plants let players respawn faster, while the Drop Ship Center allows vehicles to repair at areas in bases. The Bio Plant is closer to get to, but the Drop Ship Center is more valuable. Do we attack the Drop Ship and risk losing the Tech Plant due to our forces being stretched out or play it safe by attacking the Bio Plant? Regardless of which one we attack, how do we do it? We could subvert forces by causing trouble somewhere, so a squad may head to a base that they can not take over and cause trouble to it, forcing the enemy to draw troops away from the front lines. Or we could down the generator by sending in a crack squad of cloakers to take care of it and bum rush them. Or we can wait for the third team to come in and cause them to divide their forces.

There is a HUGE element of strategy to it - It operated very much like an open ended, never ending war. Kiddy or not, CoD will never compare to it. It did not operate like Deathmatch at all. Not even close.

It may not be CoD, but that's because CoD doesn't even come close to the scale Planetside did. In fact, nothing has. Many attempts have been made, but still nothing has come close. Planetside is your one and only true massive multiplayer FPS with actual strategy and commanders.

Jakman217

Mage and Zombie killer
Registered
Reaction score
The point I was trying to make when saying COD like was that it is almost cover based, you have regenerating health, but not much health. Also, it would try to have a feel like the single player campaign of the WW2 COD games, if you know what I mean. The weapons aren't futuristic, but either modern or more WW2 like, and it is REALISTIC. That to me doesn't mean tech plants, bio plants, and all the other stuff, but oil, farmable land / food, raw goods like iron, chrome, and gold. Things that would have value in the real world, and of course include something about population, and supply lines also. However, with the vehicles needing more than one person to use is also very good. Partially destructible environments would also be great with a build back time and stuff. The point I'm trying to make would it would be realistic, not a sci-fi game. Calling it a simulation would be a better word for it.

And to sunandshadow, I made this not for real use or expected use, but just to spread ideas and hear others ideas. Even if you never expect to see them made please tell us. I'm interested.

Last edited:

glendalough

Not so new as all that, really
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I love to see someone re-make 7th Guest or something like it. The haunted mansion, the mind games, the ghostly reveals, the movies/storyline. What an AWESOME game. It's available as an app now, in case you didn't know ;0)

Status
Not open for further replies.