? for IPAD people

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My friend recently lost her job. She had never owned a computer, although she used one extensively at work. She bought an IPAD, thinking she didn't really need a computer at home, just a way to do email and surf the net.

She called a little bit ago with a question. Is there a way for her to do her resume on the IPAD and be able to send it to prospective employers?

TIA

MM

COchick

in a holding pattern
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leighgrayson.blogspot.com
She could do her resume on pages, which is the word processing app on the ipad. And then she could email it.

ETA: You can email directly from pages, and it will give you the option to convert it to a PDF or doc file.

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks COchick and SF. She's going to try pages first, and keep google docs as a fall back. Beats having to get a computer just to do a resume.

MM

Celesta

loves writing :)
Registered
Reaction score
I use the "DocsToGo" app on iPad. I like it a lot. Very useable.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
My friend recently lost her job. She had never owned a computer, although she used one extensively at work. She bought an IPAD, thinking she didn't really need a computer at home, just a way to do email and surf the net.

She called a little bit ago with a question. Is there a way for her to do her resume on the IPAD and be able to send it to prospective employers

As mention, she can use Pages for this. There are other office apps, but I like Pages, and it probably has better and easier page layout capability than the competition, to make sure it looks presentable. Other apps are more compatible with MS Office, but I assume you'd be sending a PDF anyway, which Pages can export to when emailing.

Celesta

loves writing :)
Registered
Reaction score
DocsToGo lets you save into Word format and that's what I have on my desktop. It's a great app. Does everything I need. I use it on my iPhone, too.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Pages costs. Google Apps (Google Docs, email, spreadsheets) is free. And it will open a word file and save as (download as) a word file.

But the question of how ready her internet access is also applies.

Also, with the iPad, there is the question of printing (if needed). Emailing it to someone, saving it to a shared drive, or saving it in Google Docs becomes solutions.

:) Good hunting, to her!

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She downloaded pages ($10, lots cheaper than a computer) and has started playing with it. Said is seems easy to use.

Her internet access is no problem, wi-fi through the cable company.

Thanks again to all.

When she called (I'm in AZ, she's in VA) I told her I know nothing about IPADs, but I know where I can find out. The AW peeps are great.

MM