Gale Haut Is Brilliant - Final Nine-Tenths Cover

Meira

Informant X03981
Registered
Reaction score
Website
meirapentermann.com
For those of you who have nurtured me through a gazillion remakes of the photo-shopped cover for my dystopian science fiction, Nine-Tenths, here is good news.

I hooked up with AW's own Gale Haut, a professional graphic designer, and he started from scratch. Here is his brilliant design:

Nine-Tenths_Cover_SMALL.jpg

(Removed red fillers in name)

Last edited:

Nexus

Evolute
Registered
Reaction score
This is nifty. Simple and clean. Beautiful design. The one thing I do not like is the red color filler in some of the letters of your author name.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Meira, I was coming on here to look at a short story and saw this before I saw your email. For a second I thought the title was a sarcastic blow about my line edits. LOL :Hug2:

The one thing I do not like is the red color filler in some of the letters of your author name.
Glad to see feedback. I would remove it with a click of a button if Meira decides she doesn't want it. It gives a nice color balance with the red but I could easily come up with something more sophisticated if need be. It is entirely up to her.

SilverBirch

I really should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathrynmckade.blogspot.com
*slinks into thread* If we're having an open vote I say keep the red - it provides a nice contrast to the strong blue and white. Otherwise... :nothing Either way, nice work Gale! :) *slinks away*

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Makes me think of communist America. :D

Are the edges around the symbol meant to be kinda jaggy? Or is that just an issue with the pic's format? Looks good, though.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I believe the image was enlarged from a smaller one. Probably better not to post a higher resolution as to not slow down page loads for ppl.

Here are links to *slightly* better renderings of the image at 400x600p .... Color & Grayscale

Last edited:

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the Grayscale one myself.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
That is amazing. The symbol has a chilling effect. The colors are extremely well matched, and the black-filled stars from the US flag add an deeper level of meaning. I'd pick this book up. :)

Meira

Informant X03981
Registered
Reaction score
Website
meirapentermann.com
Meira, I was coming on here to look at a short story and saw this before I saw your email. For a second I thought the title was a sarcastic blow about my line edits. LOL :Hug2:
LOL! That would have made for a lousy Friday. A whole thread dedicated to insulting you.

Meira

Informant X03981
Registered
Reaction score
Website
meirapentermann.com
This is nifty. Simple and clean. Beautiful design. The one thing I do not like is the red color filler in some of the letters of your author name.

:) It's so cool :snoopy:

I like the red since there is very little red to begin with. Maybe it will grow on you ;)

Meira

Informant X03981
Registered
Reaction score
Website
meirapentermann.com
That is amazing. The symbol has a chilling effect.
It is brilliant, isn't it? He came up with this totally on his own, reading a few excerpts from my book.

The colors are extremely well matched, and the black-filled stars from the US flag add an deeper level of meaning. I'd pick this book up. :)
Yes!

Nexus

Evolute
Registered
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I love the red outline and the red text. It was just the red filler in the closed in areas of letters like "p", "R", "a" etc.

Very minor nitpick because the color fills in letters remind me of my Paint program attempts and bring back bad memories. I would still pick this book up.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
That looks great, and transfers well to a thumbnail size--it's still very eye-catching when it's small, which is important.

Very nice!

Shelley

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Ta! Moved, leaving a redirect link in Sci-Fi/Fantasy SYW forum, so folks there can easily follow the thread to Self-Pub/POD Covers. Members who read both forums get to admire!

-Derek

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Chief Engineer Tholomew: Cap'n! The worm-hole stabilized!

Captain "Dee" Patters: What? Impossible. Gayle, scan it. Give me a rundown.

Chief Science Officer Gayle
: Aye captain!

Tholomew: You don't needta bloody scan it; I saw it with my own two eyes! We went through and it stayed open!

Gayle: He appears to be... right, captain. I can't explain it, yet, but the worm hole is definitely staying open. And sensors are picking up a lot of bleed.

Patters: What kind of bleed?

Gayle: Unicorns. Mummies. Angsty teen goblins. Anything you'd see
from the spec fic universe--it's all pouring into reality.

Patters: Yellow alert! Gayle, find out what's making it tick. The sooner you do, the sooner we can seal off the hole. Tholomew, can you come up with a way to force the bleed to cluster?

Tholomew: I don't follow, sir.

Patters: Like dropping a magnet into a bowl of iron ball bearings; a way to keep them from rolling around.

Tholomew: I don't think so, sir. Not unless I could somehow shunt part of the wormhole into P&CE. We'd only get visuals, but nothing can resist staring in awe of a political flame war. I--yes. Yes, I can do that. It's easy. A photon torpedo rigged with anti-matter tachyons, with the right coordinates and a little bit of luck, should be able to do what you're suggesting.

Patters: Just make it happen.

Before Tholomew can leave, the forum shakes, throwing everyone dramatically to the floor and killing six people in red shirts.

Patters: Report!

Chief Security Officer Mei Ra
: It's a critter sir. We're being critiqued.

Patters: All hands to battle stations! This is not a drill!

To be continued?

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Like it, like it!! It is an arresting cover. You struck gold with Gale, obviously. I wouldn't change a thing. The red is effective, it works well. All the best!!!

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com

You know, a little exposition doesn't kill anyone. And, yes, you can do it while starting in the action. I don't care what they say.

Captain "Dee" Patters: What? Impossible. Gayle, scan it. Give me a rundown, Sir!

Chief Science Officer Admiral Gayle: Aye captain!

Tholomew:
You don't needta bloody scan it; I saw it with my own two eyes! We went through and it stayed open!

I'm seeing this Tholomew character as expendable. You might want to kill him off to add to the tension.

Gayle: He appears to be I am... right, captain of course. I can't explain it, yet, but the worm hole is definitely staying open. And sensors are picking up a lot of bleed.

Patters: Yellow alert! Gayle, can you please find out what's making it tick. The sooner you do, the sooner we can seal off the hole. Tholomew, can you come up with a way to force the bleed to cluster?

(Tholomew stabbed by wanton unicorn, here.)

Patters: Like dropping a magnet into a bowl of iron ball bearings; a way to keep them from rolling around.

Tholomew: I don't think so, sir. Not unless I could somehow shunt part of the wormhole into P&CE. We'd only get visuals, but nothing can resist staring in awe of a political flame war. I--yes. Yes, I can do that. It's easy. A photon torpedo rigged with anti-matter tachyons, with the right coordinates and a little bit of luck, should be able to do what you're suggesting.

Patters: Just make it happen. Save us, Gale!

Before Tholomew can leave, the forum shakes, throwing everyone dramatically to the floor and killing six people in red shirts. What a random detail...

Chief Security Officer Mei Ra: It's a critter sir. We're being critiqued.

To be continued?

That's jsut silly and reallly? A cliff-hanger. I really think you need to...

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score

You know, a little exposition doesn't kill anyone. And, yes, you can do it while starting in the action. I don't care what they say.

Captain "Dee" Patters: What? Impossible. Gayle, scan it. Give me a rundown, Sir!

Chief Science Officer Admiral Gayle: Aye captain!

Tholomew:
You don't needta bloody scan it; I saw it with my own two eyes! We went through and it stayed open!

I'm seeing this Tholomew character as expendable. You might want to kill him off to add to the tension.

Gayle: He appears to be I am... right, captain of course. I can't explain it, yet, but the worm hole is definitely staying open. And sensors are picking up a lot of bleed.

Patters: Yellow alert! Gayle, can you please find out what's making it tick. The sooner you do, the sooner we can seal off the hole. Tholomew, can you come up with a way to force the bleed to cluster?

(Tholomew stabbed by wanton unicorn, here.)

Patters: Just make it happen. Save us, Gale!

Before Tholomew can leave, the forum shakes, throwing everyone dramatically to the floor and killing six people in red shirts. What a random detail...

Chief Security Officer Mei Ra: It's a critter sir. We're being critiqued.

To be continued?

That's jsut silly and reallly? A cliff-hanger. I really think you need to...

LMFAO.

I love your change to Gayle. ;)

Tholomew should be killed by the fearsome dragon Kraygslyst.