Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: What Are YOU So Worried About?

What Are YOU So Worried About?

Cause there ain't nothing that can top mine!

(yeah, right, just messin' 'round here, lol)

I thought we AWers can share what we're worried about right now with their work. Okay, I'll go first since you insist.

1. I'm worried 'bout connecting with a pub. that my one agent's pitching.
    2. I'm worried 'bout my second YA novel, a LOT. Hafta seek rep. for that cause (umm long story) got 5 rejectos already.
    3. I'm worried if I'm wasting my time at all of this...but it's oh so fun! (yeah right! No it is! No you're kindin' yourself, oh wait? What? Number 3 may be for another thread. lol

Okay your turn! (Be sure to include the things you're excited about too and the things you are looking forward too)
    Last edited by Undercover; 08-05-2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Adding a bit in the instructions
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter Articles and writing tips for YA, inspirational quotes for writers and cats

FIX ME Goodreads Giveaway

Want to read FIX ME right now?

Whatever I did, I didn't do it. Phaeal's Avatar
    I'm worried about gamma ray bursts at the moment. Also superinfluenza pandemics and theocracies.

Other than that, I'm cool.
    SUMM0NED (T0R, available NOW!) Real magic becomes real trouble when Sean summons the wrong familiar.

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Come on you stranger, you legend, Devil Ledbetter's Avatar
    1. I'm worried that when I hear back from the agent who has my partial, it'll be a rejection.
    2. I'm worried that my query sucks.
    3. I'm worried I'll never get around to writing another book at the rate I'm going.

A tragicomic novel
    about Pearl Jam fans
    in Detroit.

I Write | I Blog | My Dog

Like Burt Reynolds in Gator JayMan's Avatar
    I'm worried that my first novel, which I am rewriting at the moment, will have strong writing but will fall flat in the plot and characterization departments and fall by the wayside, like so many authors' trunked early novels.

banned as an incurable tosspot
    I'm worried I'll be 70 or 80 years old before I'm published.

Edit: At least I'll still look 23...

Token mad scientist. RemusShepherd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmc71775 View Post
    Pft. You have an agent, you have less to worry about than most.

1. I'm worried that my webcomic is sucking the energy out of my novel writing. The novel's still on schedule, it just doesn't feel like I have much momentum. (Although I've noticed that every book loses momentum around the 50,000 word mark.)

2. I'm worried that I'm so terminally weird that I'll never get an agent and never get a publisher, because the industry does not take risks on people like me.

Those are the two big worries right now. There are little ones (I'm worried that agents and publishers are forcing predatory contracts on new authors), but they're worries for my future, not for the present.
    Webcomic -- Genocide Man
    e-comics now available on Comixology!

(Note: Colorblind. I may not be able to understand responses in colored text.)

practical experience, FTW htrent's Avatar
    I'm worried that no one will be able to see beyond my sucky business writing skills to request a partial or full. It's really hard for me to write query letters. There are all those warnings floating around that they (the letters) shouldn't be too casual, but my books are VERY casual because *I* am. Going from reading one of my letters to reading my books is probably like going from a cold pool into a hot tub.

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble Mr Flibble's Avatar
    We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
    I'm worried that none of the novel ideas sloshing around in my head are really 'taking', if you know what I mean.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred Chris P's Avatar
    For my WIP, I'm worried that people will think my MC has not suffered enough.

For the completed novel, I'm afraid of the same thing, but because the book ends very differently than it starts I'm worried people will give up before they get to parts they like, or be disappointed with the end because they liked the first part.
    Join any time! Take the 2017 AW Reading Challenge. Pick 12 books from a list of topics and read/discuss with us throughout the year.

I'm worried that once I hear back from the two agents who have my first two books and they tell me they're passing, that I'll have to go back into query hell again. (After a crushing period of depression.)

The colors! THE COLORS! leahzero's Avatar
    Zombies.
    UNTEACHABLE
    BLACK IRIS
    CAMGIRL - 2015
    Untitled Book #4 - 2016-ish

My self-publishing saga, in all its gory detail, is here.

practical experience, FTW ryannj5's Avatar
    I'm worried at my WIP has only 20k words and I'm about halfway through with the story. That will be much too short for YA! Ugh.

And I'm worried that my blog posts aren't good or interesting since I seem to have a good number of followers but rarely get comments on the posts.
    Best,

Ryann

I blog about writing. Represented by the Literary Counsel.

I'm worried that my epic fantasy novel will not turn out the way I have envisioned it due to my writing skill...or lack there of.

Ya know I didn't even think really before I posted this, but from what I am reading, we are all in the same boat here, just different situations. How's about we turn this around a bit and make it positive too.

You can still write what you're worried about, but say something positive too, like for me...I was able to find a few more places to send and I am excited to hear any feedback on it. I am also excited that my kids will be going back to school soon so I can really crack down on my lastest WIP. I'm looking forward to new beginnings with my work. I'm also happy about the AW anthology and want to contribute a submission.

SO, let's take the worrisome things and focus more so on the exciting things and the things to look forward too.

So who's next? I bet whoever it is will have great things to say!
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter Articles and writing tips for YA, inspirational quotes for writers and cats

practical experience, FTW Al Stevens's Avatar
    I'm worried that while I have my head buried in two works, somebody will steal my saxophone.

I'm worried my work stinks like my cat's litter box, maybe I should clean it up...(my work I mean, not the box) lol

Quote Originally Posted by leahzero View Post
    Zombies.
    That's what I was going to say.

I'm also worried that my agent won't be able to sell my book, and that she won't like my next book.

figuring it all out
    I am worried about failing about being a writer. Worried that people will not like my books. Worried about whether my projects are good enough to catch an agents attention. Worried that I am going to fail at my new shop, and that no writer will like any of my writing shirts, and things that I designed specifically with writers in mind. I worry a lot as you can tell, but venting my worries did help. Thank you for starting the thread about worries.
    Wolfdreamer25
    Webhttp://wolfdreamer25-myjourney.blogspot.com/
    The Killer Contract Agency: http://amzn.to/2ewheG9
    The Darkside of Human Nature:
    Amazon:http://amzn.to/vFld2y
    Retail sucks especially when you are a vampire! http://amzn.to/2e3SLT0
    #retailproblemsOfficial Website: http://jessicasamuelsauthor.wordpress.com/

here's to the girl on the go Harper K's Avatar
    I'm worried that I'm going to start submitting my novel too early.

Or that I've actually spent too long fussing over it and could have started submitting a long time ago.

I'm worried that the mystery aspect of the plot won't be satisfying to readers.

I'm worried that, even after 7+ drafts, I still haven't managed to write the book I wanted to write. Maybe I'll feel differently after I can take some time away from it and read it with fresh eyes. Maybe I'll feel differently after I have beta readers, too.

Oh, and I'm worried that I'm totally useless at social networking. I used to have a BIG social network, about 4 years ago. Then I disappeared from the Internet in order to work on my novel. I wish I had stayed around, even in just a peripheral way. Now I feel like I'm facing a mountain, trying to gain back some of those old contacts and trying to make new ones. The worst part is, I realized -- too late -- that so many of those people really were my friends, and I feel so bad that I went hermit on them. I miss them.

Okay, something good! I've made a lot of progress on my novel in the past 2 weeks, and my alpha readers (my husband and my crit group) keep hounding me about when they'll be able to read the rest!
    The Center of Gravity, redux (YA contemp), final final FINAL version!:
    62,000 / 65,000 words

I'm worried I'll swirl around in this plot hole until it sucks me into the netherworld.

Oh yeah. Something positive. Uh, . . . my coffee is hot.

Never Surrender AW Moderator Maryn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmc71775 View Post

(yeah, right, just messin' 'round here, lol)

I thought we AWers can share what we're worried about right now with their work. Okay, I'll go first since you insist.

1. I'm worried 'bout connecting with a pub. that my one agent's pitching.
    2. I'm worried 'bout my second YA novel, a LOT. Hafta seek rep. for that cause (umm long story) got 5 rejectos already.
    3. I'm worried if I'm wasting my time at all of this...but it's oh so fun! (yeah right! No it is! No you're kindin' yourself, oh wait? What? Number 3 may be for another thread. lol

Okay your turn! (Be sure to include the things you're excited about too and the things you are looking forward too)
    Oh, please. I mean, seriously. If this were the totality of things many of us had to worry about, we'd be absolutely delighted with the sharp improvement.

I find this kind of creepy, since in any large community you get people with genuine, life-or-death things to worry about.

Maryn, killjoy
    Get to work. Success isn't built on the power of your dreams.

Brick by Brick, a ménage à trois novel
    Taming the Wilde, FemDom spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Men in Love, anthology about--hey, you're already there, aren't you?
    Maryn Says, an irregular blog almost never about writing
    The Occasional Tweet

Quote Originally Posted by Maryn View Post
    Oh, please. I mean, seriously. If this were the totality of things many of us had to worry about, we'd be absolutely delighted with the sharp improvement.

I find this kind of creepy, since in any large community you get people with genuine, life-or-death things to worry about.

Maryn, killjoy

No, it's not the "totality of things" on my end, if it was I would post something more personal and more important in Conquering Challenges. I know there's bigger and worse problems to "worry" about, but I thought that perhaps sharing in "writing worries" that would help and show other writers they are totally not alone, as one mentioned it felt good to just vent. I find your post kinda creepy if you ask me and you're a mod? (or maybe I am not understanding it)

Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
    I don't think I've ever disagreed with you, Maryn, but there's always a first. I have an older son I'm worried about, health-wise, right now. I have other worries too. But let's get back to writing, which this thread is about. (It's not in Office Party, but Novels.)

I'm worried about my next novel. I've started it three times, and just can't get into what or who it's about. Pages one through five, three times. Ugh.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Crock-o-dile's Avatar
    I'm worried that I won't be able to revise my ms to my agent's liking.

And zombies. Always zombies.

But, um, on the bright side, I'm learning all kinds of interesting editing tips. And at least I finally finished the damn thing and am able to go back and edit it.

In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
    You all worry too much.
    Latest story in December 2013 issue of EQMM.

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast