The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Ithaca Press / Authors & Artists Publishers of New York

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin AnnaC's Avatar

Ithaca Press / Authors & Artists Publishers of New York

I know someone who published their book with AAPofNY. I was led to believe this is a legit, traditional publishing house, but after looking at their website I'm wondering if this is just a vanity or subsidy publisher.

Anyone have any experience or info on them?

http://www.aapny.com/

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Well...it certainly smacks of POD. As to whether it's vanity, these set off my alarm big time:

We provide a unique, customized publishing opportunity, and provide creative mentoring, and marketing plans that are customized for each work.
    Prospective authors need to understand and appreciate the costs of publication, pre, during and post.
    Approach with caution.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW Berry's Avatar
    I checked the on-line inventory at six Borders stores within 200 miles of me, to see if any of the first four books in AAPNY's catalog were in the store. Two of the titles were not in Border's database; the other two were "special order only."

This is a single datapoint in a limited geographical area, but it doesn't look good. If they can't get their featured books stocked in a major bookseller in a major city, do you want to go with them?

(The six stores checked were: San Francisco, Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, San Jose, Pleasanton and San Ramon, all in the greater San Francisco area)

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Ayup. Vanity is my guess.

Those book prices definitely say POD.

- Victoria

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin AnnaC's Avatar
    Thank you all for your help and input about this publisher. I had no intentions of submitting anything to them. I was curious about them because of the way the author I know who uses them was touting them as a legit, traditional publisher when I thought otherwise. I just couldn't find much info about the publisher other than their vaguely worded website and thought you guys could help. You did and I appreciate it

Site's still active, but they haven't updated or published anything since 2005.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

figuring it all out Cory Emberson's Avatar

Ithaca Press?

Hi everyone -

I looked through Preditors & Editors and AW as well, and couldn't find anything about Ithaca Press, a self-publisher. I'm not looking for one, but have a card from an author who used them, and was curious.

Thanks!

best,
    Cory
    Co-author: Pursuing Liberty: America Through the Eyes of the Newly Free
    www.pursuingliberty.com

Word for Word Editorial
    Livermore, CA
    wordforwordedit [at] gmail.com

Ithaca Press is the reincarnation of Authors & Artists, so I've merged your question with the existing thread.

I see nothing to recommend them.
    ICAO
    ---------

Thanks, CaoPaux...

The search didn't reveal this thread, and I appreciate you merging my question with the existing thread.

I certainly have no interest in them ... I had picked up a card from an author who wrote about his experiences as an air traffic controller in Chicago and found it was printed by Ithaca. Funny, there was a lot of buzz from fellow writers about this... I think they thought someone had paid him to publish it, not the other way around.

Thanks for scratching the itch. :-)
    www.pursuingliberty.com

Word for Word Editorial
    Livermore, CA

Thanks for bringing it up. I'm aghast I missed the connection before.

Link: http://www.ithacapress.com/

Info on some of their authors: http://www.artistfirst.com/ithacapress.html

(Not to be confused with Garnet Publishing's Ithaca Press in the UK.)
    ICAO
    ---------

No worries... I didn't see them at all in E&P, and will send an email to them tomorrow...
    www.pursuingliberty.com

Word for Word Editorial
    Livermore, CA

Last books copyrighted '13. (Amazon lists as a couple as published in '14, but same diff re: inactivity, IMNSHO.)
    ICAO
    ---------