• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Firefly & Wisp Publishing

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I read the link Brian provided before it was taken down, and I sure wish I'd thought to take a screen capture of it. It was a fairly impressive list of credits, including Harlequin in addition to those already mentioned.

If the credits were indeed real, there would've been no reason to remove the page, and it would also go some way to assuring folks that there was a modicum of experience behind the ownership of Firefly & Wisp. (Not that I think being a well-published author is enough experience to become a publisher, but it's better than the self-published-only people who open their own micropresses.)

Anyway, I can think of only one good reason to remove such an impressive list of credits: that is wasn't actually true.

And if it wasn't true, why would anyone want to sign a contract with a company owned by someone who lies very publically about something so easily verifiable?

I saw it, too.

This is incredible.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I also read that link, and I seem to remember the author claiming to have sold 2000 copies in a single month. We appear to be dealing with a serial fantasist here.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I'm also puzzled that she shared a rough of the cover online. I know I can only show my covers when they're final and I have permission.

Personal cluelessness and possible deception is one thing. Cluelessness and possible deception that will take your first rights is a whole 'nother thing. Run. Run far and fast. Research the publisher you're going to sub the book you've worked on for months and years. It's your hard work. Don't throw it away!

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I read the link Brian provided before it was taken down, and I sure wish I'd thought to take a screen capture of it. It was a fairly impressive list of credits, including Harlequin in addition to those already mentioned.

If the credits were indeed real, there would've been no reason to remove the page, and it would also go some way to assuring folks that there was a modicum of experience behind the ownership of Firefly & Wisp. (Not that I think being a well-published author is enough experience to become a publisher, but it's better than the self-published-only people who open their own micropresses.)

Anyway, I can think of only one good reason to remove such an impressive list of credits: that is wasn't actually true.

And if it wasn't true, why would anyone want to sign a contract with a company owned by someone who lies very publically about something so easily verifiable?

Like I said... there's no erase button on the Internet: here's a Google cache of the post.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I read it, too, and found parts of it incredible, in the original meaning of the word.

Maryn, sighing

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Like I said... there's no erase button on the Internet: here's a Google cache of the post.

Oh, good on you! I've never succeeded with finding stuff in Google cache.

I've screen-captured it anyway (since I think sometimes things do eventually drop out of there).

Zwisser_firefly_and_wisp.gif

It's worth noting that this is what she posted on the official Firefly & Wisp blog.

Last edited:

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
I don't know if that's intended as a credit or just a slightly ill-advised WiP status update. I'm not sure she knows the difference between appropriate and inappropriate information. However, the earlier part of the post about apparently published work she's claiming to be hers suggests she also doesn't know the difference between her work and other people's.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
However, the earlier part of the post about apparently published work she's claiming to be hers suggests she also doesn't know the difference between her work and other people's.
"Only be sure always to call it please 'research'." --Tom Lehrer

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Oh, good on you! I've never succeeded with finding stuff in Google cache.

I've screen-captured it anyway (since I think sometimes things do eventually drop out of there).

Yeah, it'll eventually fall out of the cache. Things do fade from the Internet over time... but man, once you put something out there, it's hard to make it go *poof*.

Which is why you shouldn't lie about stuff like writing credits or publishing deals, you know?

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
So, listen. Do we believe this is a preliminary design prepared by a Penguin imprint?

EpmwM.png

Maybe Mrs Zwissler prepared it herself. (The stock photo used comes from here.) The same is probably true of the back cover copy. I hope so, for DAW's sake.

What I don't get, though, is why DAW would buy a book called The Dream Stealers when they already have a book called Zac and the Dream Stealers, by Ross MacKenzie.

We also have her announcing the sale of a book to Scholastic on the 5th of March - The Key, which again I can't find any other reference to on the internet.

What is going on?

Wait...is the claim here that DAW sent, with her acceptance letter/e-mail/what-have-you, a mock up of the cover art for her novel? The novel they just accepted?

That's ... highly unlikely.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
It reminds me of the whole Rejection Queen thing from a few years ago where she said her book was bought by Grand Central Publishing--only it was published by PA. She also put up a mock cover from "her publisher" that was... um... nothing that a professional company would use. (It was also not the PA cover, either.)

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I actually thought she had done the cover, and she was saying something along the lines of, "just for fun, I'll mock up a cover to give you an idea of what my book is about."

Maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
This is getting really interesting in a trainwreck sort of way. I wonder what the aforementioned publishers will have to say about it.

The F&W debacle reminds me a little bit of the woman who claimed she had a winning lotto ticket here in the States last year - but she didn't, and then made up all kinds of stories when the lottery officials asked her to produce it.

At first glance, DAW has no public listing of a book called 'The Dream Stealers' by D.L. Haver. Can anyone check the PW listings for an announcement?

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

So, listen. Do we believe this is a preliminary design prepared by a Penguin imprint?

It is not.

There are a number of dead giveaways—ranging from the fact that it doesn't resemble the basic DAW template, one of the fonts is a public domain knockoff, and the copy is . . .

Someone's not dealing with reality.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
It is not.

There are a number of dead giveaways—ranging from the fact that it doesn't resemble the basic DAW template, one of the fonts is a public domain knockoff, and the copy is . . .

Someone's not dealing with reality.

Yes. I'm also mildly intrigued by a network she is connected to on Facebook which does marketing for self-published novels, and also offers publishing services, and doesn't have much in the way of demonstrable skills in its listed personnel, and essentially every link I click I find myself disappearing down another rabbit hole of weirdness. It starts to feel like an incredibly ramified cargo cult, and I begin to wonder if, out of the sheer commitment and elaboration of it all, planes full of dollar bills do actually start appearing on the horizon at some point. You've got people just sort of miming being publishers and authors and marketeers, in some cases to the point of outright deception.

Taking it another way, at what point does the big-tent revival movement stop being a religion and start being a scam? Is it at the point where the person in charge decides it's OK to lie for Jesus? Well, in any case, I'm backing away slowly.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She's using as a credit the fact that she self-subbed to DAW's and TOR's slushpile? Am I reading that correctly? *refills coffee*

Yup. *joins callalily61 in a cup of coffee*
Is there enough room for both of you in that cup?

:e2coffee:

*rim shot*

I looked at that cover and even if it is a mock-up, it looks pretty cheap.

And a dollar and a (virtual) cyberchip cookie to the person who can find this person in the DAW/Penguin roster. (Hint: you can't!)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I actually thought she had done the cover, and she was saying something along the lines of, "just for fun, I'll mock up a cover to give you an idea of what my book is about."

Maybe I'm wrong.
I suspect this is what she was saying. There are many people on AW who do cover mock-ups while in the writing, revising, and subbing process. Whether or not she got a contract, this is how I read her post.